20 years today

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: 20 years today

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 4:04pm
I have a really hard time being a humanist in this society, as you know, but Joe remains strong as an inspiration to rethink things when I get discouraged.
If it helps, it's be a humanist that makes our world so difficult to accept or even endure. Knowing there is a better way but seeing so many infected by cold ideologies, that's hard on the heart. But it does mean you still have a heart.
I hope he'd be proud of something like that being part of his legacy, because it means a lot to me, and hopefully, in a small way, makes at least my small corner of the universe a little more easy to bear.
I think so. He got the one-on-one thing as well as anyone who reached his status. Pretty much every fan encounter I've read describe him as making them feel like the most important person in the room. Just one human connection at a time, over and over.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 4:30pm
Kory wrote:
I have a really hard time being a humanist in this society, as you know, but Joe remains strong as an inspiration to rethink things when I get discouraged.
If it helps, it's be a humanist that makes our world so difficult to accept or even endure. Knowing there is a better way but seeing so many infected by cold ideologies, that's hard on the heart. But it does mean you still have a heart.
The guitarist in my old band was once getting down on me for being negative and he said "behind every cynic is a disappointed idealist," like he thought it was going to be a real "gotcha!" moment, but I agreed with him completely and totally deflated him. That perked me up a bit.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 5:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
The guitarist in my old band was once getting down on me for being negative and he said "behind every cynic is a disappointed idealist," like he thought it was going to be a real "gotcha!" moment, but I agreed with him completely and totally deflated him. That perked me up a bit.
That's hilarious and sad (hilarisad?) that he thought that was an insult.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 5:35pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I think he thought that I revel in being a cynic, so that being an idealist would make me seem soft in my own mind or something.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 6:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 5:35pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
I think he thought that I revel in being a cynic, so that being an idealist would make me seem soft in my own mind or something.
The difference between being a pessimist and a cynic, I think. Pessimists, deep down, enjoy their jaundiced view of the world; cynics wish it were otherwise but acknowledge their disappointment.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Hell's Ditch?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

20 years past but Joe is still in my heart.
As the italian journalist Alberto Campo said almost 40 years ago, «before even from the head, the Clash is difficult to remove them from the heart».
Love you Joe!

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

blureu
Dirty Punk

Post by blureu »

One For Joe. A celebration of Joe Strummer.
Gideon Coe
20 years on from his death a celebration of the life and times of Joe Strummer.

An excellent selection of tunes, interview with Alex Cox and the Acton Hall gig in the last hour. Worthy of a listen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001g70b

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

So, I searched but couldn’t find this anywhere on IMCT. Has this been posted before? It's new to me. Just stumbled on it on youtube. It was uploaded a month or two ago - not sure if it's circulated here before so I didn't want to make a new thread. Joe’s last US show in San Diego, July 7, 2002. Apologies if it’s been posted before. If new, it might be worthy of a separate thread.

The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 7:45pm
So, I searched but couldn’t find this anywhere on IMCT. Has this been posted before? It's new to me. Just stumbled on it on youtube. It was uploaded a month or two ago - not sure if it's circulated here before so I didn't want to make a new thread. Joe’s last US show in San Diego, July 7, 2002. Apologies if it’s been posted before. If new, it might be worthy of a separate thread.

New to me as well, watching it now, thanks for sharing it.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Sparky wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 9:43pm
Kimmelweck wrote:

Awesome! One happy customer at least. :mrgreen:
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 9:50pm
Sparky wrote:
10 Feb 2023, 9:43pm
Kimmelweck wrote:

Awesome! One happy customer at least. :mrgreen:

I'm pretty low maintenance, easy to please.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Tami, aka “The Web Princess” as Joe called her, who ran Strummer News, recorded this and the other two Hootenanny sets.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Kimmelweck wrote:

http://www.clashcity.com/boards/viewtop ... =6&t=13852

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

white man wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 1:33am
Kimmelweck wrote:

http://www.clashcity.com/boards/viewtop ... =6&t=13852
Whoops, guess I missed that. So it has been posted before. My attempts with the search function didn’t turn it up, yet it was right under my nose the whole time. Thanks White Man.