20 years today

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
motorsmell
Junco Partner

20 years today

Post by motorsmell »

20 years ago the world lost Joe. After just playing Streetcore again it seems like he had alot left in the tank, such a shame. However I will be raising a glass or 20 for him today.
Last night there was a Strummer radio special by Aiden who runs the Strummer walking tours of Ladbroke grove, a worthy listen..

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: 20 years today

Post by Sparky »

RIP Joe, you'll never be forgotten.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

20 years is just hard to believe. Probably a day never goes by when I don't think about Joe/The Clash.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

FarawayTowns
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by FarawayTowns »

Heston wrote:
22 Dec 2022, 12:43pm
20 years is just hard to believe. Probably a day never goes by when I don't think about Joe/The Clash.
Same here.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Fucking insane. He's been dead for a majority of my life now (well, for a few years now). But never forgotten, even for a day.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Heston wrote:
Heston wrote:
This part of the year gets harder every year... starting with Philthy animal in November then Joe,Lemmy and Bowie...now Terry as well. Yet for some reason the only thing that gets widely celebrated is Mary's shocking excuse for loosing her virginity to an unknown bloke...ah yeah sorry Joseph it was god honest!

I never met Joe and even fucked up going to see him at the Leeds in-store gig... however he's never far away from my thoughts...it's not just the tunes but his attitude to life that sticks with me. He never let me down (same with Lem, who I met a fair few times). Really players just don't appear anymore. It's all done for fucking retweets and insta likes...Viva Joe

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

As Dr. Seuss put so well, "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." If, twenty years after you've passed, the world still feels much poorer for your absence, your life was special and continues thru all you inspired.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Dec 2022, 2:27pm
As Dr. Seuss put so well, "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." If, twenty years after you've passed, the world still feels much poorer for your absence, your life was special and continues thru all you inspired.
I concur sir

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Being several years older now than Joe when he prematurely left us really brings home not just how young he was but how much he'd achieved and how much more he'd left to give. The shock of that horrible day will forever remain vivid to me.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Dec 2022, 2:27pm
As Dr. Seuss put so well, "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."
"Live, Laugh, London Calling"
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Think I'm going to finally make a Clash playlist for Maggie, I've been putting it off forever because I couldn't think of how much to dump on her but I think I'm in the mood today.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
22 Dec 2022, 4:56pm
Think I'm going to finally make a Clash playlist for Maggie, I've been putting it off forever because I couldn't think of how much to dump on her but I think I'm in the mood today.
"fingerpoppin aor mix no fade in" on repeat obviously takes up the first hour of any Clash playlist but what else would you put on after?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
22 Dec 2022, 5:04pm
Kory wrote:
"fingerpoppin aor mix no fade in" on repeat obviously takes up the first hour of any Clash playlist but what else would you put on after?
S! Side Six (six times straight). Then just isolated Paul bass playing.

(We're trying to end the marriage, right?)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
22 Dec 2022, 5:04pm
Kory wrote:
Sex Mad Roar, followed by Sex Mad War, at least.