Havana 3a.m. - live unreleased

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Havana 3a.m. - live unreleased

Post by APACHES67 »

Please i would Like to Know how many live unreleased Songs from Havana 3a.m. with Paul Simonon are available on the web?

geraldmanns
Dirty Punk

Re: Havana 3a.m. - live unreleased

Post by geraldmanns »

As far as I know it‘s ’The Hunger‘, ’Dreams‘ and ‘The Winner‘. And their version of Guns of Brixton.
I got my motorcycle jacket but I‘m walking all the time

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

There's the Texas Glitter and Tombstone Tales album credited to Gary Myrick and Havana 3 AM. It contains Hunger along with 13 other tracks.

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

geraldmanns wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 5:07am
As far as I know it‘s ’The Hunger‘, ’Dreams‘ and ‘The Winner‘. And their version of Guns of Brixton.
Thank you geraldmanns, but where can i find those? On you tube is available only the guns of brixton

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

gkbill wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 12:32pm
Hello,

There's the Texas Glitter and Tombstone Tales album credited to Gary Myrick and Havana 3 AM. It contains Hunger along with 13 other tracks.
Thank you gkbill, but i'm looking for unreleased live versions of Havana 3 am with Paul Simonon

geraldmanns
Dirty Punk

Post by geraldmanns »

https://youtu.be/HtWx9YujzJ4
Here‘s a live video from Siena. Starts off with The Winner and Dreams Come True. The Hunger starts at 21:39.
I got my motorcycle jacket but I‘m walking all the time

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

So your looking for songs by H3AM that were never released physically, but in a live format.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

That's a good album, with more of a rootsier, twangier sort of vibe than the debut. But I like it quite a bit. If I recall correctly, Myrick continued the band for a time after Nigel's death -- I remember a friend of mine telling me they'd seen a show flyer credited as Gary Myrick's Havana 3 AM, which came as a bit of a surprise at the time.
You've got it -- there aren't a ton of unheard songs out there, though I'd add one more cover, "Something Else," which they used as a final encore closer ("That's it, we aren't coming back, folks") from time to time. Dreams Come True served as the opener for the first three gigs I caught by them, all at the Borderline (11/21/89, 1/23-24/90), which sounds like a better title than the one I guessed at, in scribbling on inlay card: Dreams (Don't Give It Away).

As for why they didn't see the light of day then, the answer is pretty straightforward. When I interviewed Nigel, on the eve of the American tour, I asked what had happened to those songs. He said the plan was to make the album 16 tracks, and essentially clear the decks of whatever they playing at the time.

However, they ran out of time, so they were either going to save them for B-sides, or the next album, which never came to fruition, as we all know. But at any rate, that's the word I got from him.

There's a handful of tapes circulating out there with those songs (including mine, of those three gigs I mentioned). It'd be nice to see their any of their opening sets for BAD surface, like the Town & Country, where they supported them for two nights, I think (10/31 and 11/1/89) -- but to my knowledge, none of those have ever turned up. Presumably because nobody tapes the support band, even if it's one that happens to have the likes of Paul in its ranks. :mrgreen:

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

geraldmanns wrote:
12 Feb 2023, 5:06am
https://youtu.be/HtWx9YujzJ4
Here‘s a live video from Siena. Starts off with The Winner and Dreams Come True. The Hunger starts at 21:39.
Thank you so much Geraldmanns, it's just what i was looking For. Hope Will be more uploaded...i Like so much Havana 3am with Paul and Nigel.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Thank you so much Geraldmanns, it's just what i was looking For. Hope Will be more uploaded...i Like so much Havana 3am with Paul and Nigel.
There's at least one more video floating around out there, which is a show from London. One notable feature is that Gus Andrews, who played trumpet on Hey Amigo, reprises that role on that gig. So if there's that one, I suspect that there may be others circulating, if only among the hardcore faithful.

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

It's interesting the fact that Havana 3a.m. decided to play in Siena...It's a very Little town, so why right Siena? Paul Simonon lived in Italy For about one year in Siena and Rome....maybe he still has some friends there and those friends at that time helped to organize the gig in Siena