Joe on TOTP's

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Joe on TOTP's

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
02 May 2023, 12:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 May 2023, 12:49pm
Low Down Low wrote:
02 May 2023, 12:40pm
According to this link Joe didn't, in fact, end up on the finished track which seems a shame, if true, but not a huge shock either tbh.

https://www.isthismusic.com/the-levellers
I wonder if Joe knew he had been removed from the track. And if the band didn't want to upset Joe by telling him as Joe is definitely listed of the artwork.
It says in that piece that the band members weren't aware of it themselves until that documentary film was made so I'd guess not. Sounds like the producer just going on a solo run himself.
Yeah that makes perfect sense.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 May 2023, 12:57pm
Heston wrote:
02 May 2023, 12:46pm
Why invite Joe to play piano? Apart from his "pianner" credit on LC did he have any reputation for tinkling the ivories? Strange.
Rude Boy movie says he did. No Reason is just Joe and the old joanna.

At the Beaconsfield sessions Joe can be heard fooling around on the ivories also.

But yeah hardly liberace.
Yeah forgot about that!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 May 2023, 12:59pm
Low Down Low wrote:
02 May 2023, 12:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
02 May 2023, 12:49pm
Low Down Low wrote:
02 May 2023, 12:40pm
According to this link Joe didn't, in fact, end up on the finished track which seems a shame, if true, but not a huge shock either tbh.

https://www.isthismusic.com/the-levellers
I wonder if Joe knew he had been removed from the track. And if the band didn't want to upset Joe by telling him as Joe is definitely listed of the artwork.
It says in that piece that the band members weren't aware of it themselves until that documentary film was made so I'd guess not. Sounds like the producer just going on a solo run himself.
Yeah that makes perfect sense.
Though you'd imagine upon hearing the finished product, Joe might have had some inkling of whether that was actually the stuff he'd played. Or maybe he simply thought, wow, I'm much better than I realised! Hard to know.

Didn't Joe also supposedly compose the Walker tracks on his "pianner"? Although by "compose", I'm assuming in a very rudimentary manner!