Earthquake Weather Redux

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Re: Earthquake Weather Redux

Post by Telecaster »

Mr Dread, echoing what has previously been said here. Thank you for your skills and hard work. Gallop Your Donkey would have been a hit single if released in 1989 in the UK.

The drums on Sleepwalk also sound like you've given them more space and especially the latino percussion right near the end of the song. Top job.

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

CBS/Epic version ⭐️⭐️
Marky Dread version ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Telecaster wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 5:20am
Mr Dread, echoing what has previously been said here. Thank you for your skills and hard work. Gallop Your Donkey would have been a hit single if released in 1989 in the UK.

The drums on Sleepwalk also sound like you've given them more space and especially the latino percussion right near the end of the song. Top job.
Thanks Telecaster glad you are liking it

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Stefano1972 wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 11:06am
CBS/Epic version ⭐️⭐️
Marky Dread version ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Thanks Stefano.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

ohsoso
Dirty Punk

Post by ohsoso »

Telecaster wrote:
yup, thanks marky. gallop your donkey is mesmerizing, was confused at first and didn't gasp it was all your work.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

ohsoso wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 2:05pm
Telecaster wrote:
yup, thanks marky. gallop your donkey is mesmerizing, was confused at first and didn't gasp it was all your work.
Well Joe and the LRW and The Tenors who did the original.

Should put out it's actually "Gallop You Donkey" and not "Gallop Your Donkey". The dropped "r" is intentional as per the lyric.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Awesome, Marky! Thank you. It's been cool to hear the incremental improvements you've made to this album over time. This one is definitely the best sounding version yet.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

msza2 wrote:
02 Jun 2023, 4:30pm
Awesome, Marky! Thank you. It's been cool to hear the incremental improvements you've made to this album over time. This one is definitely the best sounding version yet.
Thanks boss appreciated. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

This really is fantastic. To paraphrase Brian Clough, I wouldn't say it is the best remaster ever, but it is in the top one :)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
02 Jun 2023, 5:27pm
This really is fantastic. To paraphrase Brian Clough, I wouldn't say it is the best remaster ever, but it is in the top one :)
'When seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.'

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
02 Jun 2023, 6:50pm
laxman wrote:
'When seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.'
Best press conference answer ever? Even made me, a non United fan, laugh at that.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 6:23am
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:
Best press conference answer ever? Even made me, a non United fan, laugh at that.
I was confused at first and thought Eric had lost the plot. But when it's put into context of the press waiting for the next titbit it all makes sense.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

msza2
Junco Partner

Post by msza2 »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 May 2023, 8:34am
Stefano1972 wrote:
22 May 2023, 7:13am
Regarding Island Hopping, I recall in the recording of the concert at the I-Beam in San Francisco on November 17, 1989 (again thanks to Charlie Don't Surf for sharing his recording), Joe says he wrote that song while in Nassau at the search for Mick Jones.
Yep I guess Joe took inspiration for the song from that. Though lyrically it's really about lazing around and taking things easy.
I view Island Hopping as one of Joe's all-time best. It's such a great "tip of the iceberg" song where I want to learn more about the narrator. A couple decades ago when I had delusions of grandeur I intended to write an entire album around it, where it would be track 1 and each subsequent song would be a little adventure on a new island. Love triangles, pirates, jailbreaks, etc.

Probably better I didn't go through with it, but my point is that this song really gets my imagination going.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

msza2 wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 7:56pm
Marky Dread wrote:
22 May 2023, 8:34am
Stefano1972 wrote:
22 May 2023, 7:13am
Regarding Island Hopping, I recall in the recording of the concert at the I-Beam in San Francisco on November 17, 1989 (again thanks to Charlie Don't Surf for sharing his recording), Joe says he wrote that song while in Nassau at the search for Mick Jones.
Yep I guess Joe took inspiration for the song from that. Though lyrically it's really about lazing around and taking things easy.
I view Island Hopping as one of Joe's all-time best. It's such a great "tip of the iceberg" song where I want to learn more about the narrator. A couple decades ago when I had delusions of grandeur I intended to write an entire album around it, where it would be track 1 and each subsequent song would be a little adventure on a new island. Love triangles, pirates, jailbreaks, etc.

Probably better I didn't go through with it, but my point is that this song really gets my imagination going.
Should do it sounds like a nice idea. Definitely scope to write about your encounters as you hop from island to island.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 3:07pm
laxman wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 6:23am
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:
I was confused at first and thought Eric had lost the plot. But when it's put into context of the press waiting for the next titbit it all makes sense.
I think one of Eric's best moments wasn't caught on camera, what a pity. This is the quote about the incident, and I think it shows his character and strength.
"In December 1991, during a match for Nîmes, he threw the ball at the referee, having been angered by one of his decisions. He was summoned to a disciplinary hearing by the French Football Federation and was banned for one month. Cantona responded by walking up to members of the hearing committee in turn and calling each of them an "idiot". His ban was increased to two months, and Cantona subsequently announced his retirement from football on 16 December 1991."
Thankfully he reconsidered his decision and via Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds United did something good in Manchester.