Earthquake Weather Redux

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Earthquake Weather Redux

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JChampion wrote:
21 May 2023, 8:25am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2023, 8:15am
laxman wrote:
21 May 2023, 7:55am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2023, 7:33am
This feels like a trap … :shifty:
You know you can trust me. There is also a laugh out loud comment in Marky's notes.
Just saw them! It immediately answered my question about the obvious omission. Cutting to be very, very kind. :lol:
Downloading now but wondering if the obvious omission is really a hidden track like Train in Vain was? You know added to the box set but too late for the artwork. LOL
At which point we learn that Marky actually dislikes us a whole lot.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JChampion wrote:
21 May 2023, 8:25am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2023, 8:15am
laxman wrote:
21 May 2023, 7:55am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 May 2023, 7:33am
This feels like a trap … :shifty:
You know you can trust me. There is also a laugh out loud comment in Marky's notes.
Just saw them! It immediately answered my question about the obvious omission. Cutting to be very, very kind. :lol:
Downloading now but wondering if the obvious omission is really a hidden track like Train in Vain was? You know added to the box set but too late for the artwork. LOL
Yes hidden away for all eternity.😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

This Marky Dread mix = Murky(ness) Dead mix!

I'm sure you must have access to the mastertapes for some of your projects, Marky, the way things just emerge from the background, or reverb is dialled back, and stuff. Bravo. And thanks!

And I speak as someone who actually likes the original album. And can even tolerate... That Track....
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnS wrote:
21 May 2023, 10:11am
This Marky Dread mix = Murky(ness) Dead mix!

I'm sure you must have access to the mastertapes for some of your projects, Marky, the way things just emerge from the background, or reverb is dialled back, and stuff. Bravo. And thanks!

And I speak as someone who actually likes the original album. And can even tolerate... That Track....
Cheers John. An official release of this would include a download code for "that track" that takes you directly to Bedlam.😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Marky, This is truly a major sonic improvement, Fantastic job! This is an album I rarely listen to because of the mix but you have definitely brightened it up majorly! I will give it another chance

TrashCityRocker
Dirty Punk

Post by TrashCityRocker »

Thanks for this Marky. Absolutely love the photos used for the singles, especially the ones where Joe stares through the window. Would love if you could send me those photos. On a side note, I always did love that slick rockabilly outfit he had during 1988/1989, and the California-vibe Earthquake Weather gives off. According to photographer Josh Cheuse, one of the Cadillacs Joe was driving around LA in got shot near one of the side mirrors by some gangsters (probably a couple of "cholos"). They ended up installing some surveillance cameras in the studio's parking lot to monitor the vintage cars from vandals. A photo of the bullet hole on Joe's Caddy ended up on the back of the "Gangsterville" single. Read this in Josh's "Print The Myth" book released last year.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TrashCityRocker wrote:
21 May 2023, 2:26pm
Thanks for this Marky. Absolutely love the photos used for the singles, especially the ones where Joe stares through the window. Would love if you could send me those photos. On a side note, I always did love that slick rockabilly outfit he had during 1988/1989, and the California-vibe Earthquake Weather gives off. According to photographer Josh Cheuse, one of the Cadillacs Joe was driving around LA in got shot near one of the side mirrors by some gangsters (probably a couple of "cholos"). They ended up installing some surveillance cameras in the studio's parking lot to monitor the vintage cars from vandals. A photo of the bullet hole on Joe's Caddy ended up on the back of the "Gangsterville" single. Read this in Josh's "Print The Myth" book released last year.
https://iconicimagesgallery.com/en-ci/p ... tion-print

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TrashCityRocker
Dirty Punk

Post by TrashCityRocker »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 May 2023, 2:33pm
TrashCityRocker wrote:
21 May 2023, 2:26pm
https://iconicimagesgallery.com/en-ci/p ... tion-print
Thanks Mate.

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

Thanks Marky, listened to it a bit quickly as soon as I finished downloading. It looks like a really splendid work, from the sound to the artwork.
I think the best version of "shouting street" is your single.
I waited years for that Joe solo album, and when it arrived I was a little disappointed.
Listening to your work on the album, it's clear that a better production could have made the difference.
But, however, it remains a pity that album was not followed up and Joe decided to disband the group at the end of the US tour, in November 1989.
All the best

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Stefano1972 wrote:
21 May 2023, 5:07pm
Thanks Marky, listened to it a bit quickly as soon as I finished downloading. It looks like a really splendid work, from the sound to the artwork.
I waited years for that Joe solo album, and when it arrived I was a little disappointed.
Listening to your work on the album, it's clear that a better production could have made the difference.
But, however, it remains a pity that album was not followed up and Joe decided to disband the group at the end of the US tour, in November 1989.
All the best
I'm glad you enjoy it. It's interesting that Joe took so long to put another band together. There are a lot of lyrical moments on Earthquake Weather that would easily fit with the latter Mescaleros work.

The Latino Rockabilly War were great but I think they needed someone more sympathetic in understanding their sound to produce their releases. Permanent Record is a lot less fussy sounding than EW and maybe that version of the band was best.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Marky Dread wrote:
21 May 2023, 6:00pm
The Latino Rockabilly War were great but I think they needed someone more sympathetic in understanding their sound to produce their releases. Permanent Record is a lot less fussy sounding than EW and maybe that version of the band was best.
I agree '100 pesetas'
One of the joys of this community over the years was sharing live recordings of the LRW and discovering the harder, more full-tilt R&R sound they had on stage, compared to the careful (over) production of the studio releases.
The preceding Permanent Record sessions were indeed harder and worked better than EW - maybe the one-off nature of the project had some effect on the results.
Marky's new remix breathes a bit more life into the EW material, and yes, exposes the link to the Mescaleros stuff, and that shared musical DNA.

(LRW? R&R? EW? DNA? That's enough abbreviations - Ed.)
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnS wrote:
21 May 2023, 6:42pm
Marky Dread wrote:
I agree '100 pesetas'
One of the joys of this community over the years was sharing live recordings of the LRW and discovering the harder, more full-tilt R&R sound they had on stage, compared to the careful (over) production of the studio releases.
The preceding Permanent Record sessions were indeed harder and worked better than EW - maybe the one-off nature of the project had some effect on the results.
Marky's new remix breathes a bit more life into the EW material, and yes, exposes the link to the Mescaleros stuff, and that shared musical DNA.

(LRW? R&R? EW? DNA? That's enough abbreviations - Ed.)
OK.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

ohsoso
Dirty Punk

Post by ohsoso »

hey marky, cool stuff! do you know the story behind gallop your donkey? new to me.
it's not from the island hopping single.

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

Marky Dread wrote:
Stefano1972 wrote:
21 May 2023, 5:07pm
All the best
I'm glad you enjoy it. It's interesting that Joe took so long to put another band together. There are a lot of lyrical moments on Earthquake Weather that would easily fit with the latter Mescaleros work.

I agree with you, Permanent Record definitely sounds better than Earthquake Weather.
And, in fact, I've always thought the early Latino Rockabilly War lineup with Zander Schloss, Roberto Pla, Jim Donica and Willie McNeil was more interesting than the last one with Lonnie Marshall and Jack Irons instead of Donica and Mcneil, and without Roberto.
About a year later EW, Joe will bring back the percussionist Roberto Pla for the realization of that authentic gem that is "Burnin Lights".
Last edited by Stefano1972 on 22 May 2023, 8:14am, edited 1 time in total.

“Where love rules, there is no will to power, and where power predominates, love is lacking. The one is the shadow of the other.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

Stefano1972
Long Time Jerk

Post by Stefano1972 »

Regarding Island Hopping, I recall in the recording of the concert at the I-Beam in San Francisco on November 17, 1989 (again thanks to Charlie Don't Surf for sharing his recording), Joe says he wrote that song while in Nassau at the search for Mick Jones.

- Carl Gustav Jung