Earthquake Weather Redux

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Earthquake Weather Redux

Post by Low Down Low »

dave202 wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 8:43am
Marky Dread wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 3:07pm
laxman wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 6:23am
Marky Dread wrote:
02 Jun 2023, 6:50pm
laxman wrote:
02 Jun 2023, 5:27pm
This really is fantastic. To paraphrase Brian Clough, I wouldn't say it is the best remaster ever, but it is in the top one :)
'When seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.'
Best press conference answer ever? Even made me, a non United fan, laugh at that.
I was confused at first and thought Eric had lost the plot. But when it's put into context of the press waiting for the next titbit it all makes sense.
I think one of Eric's best moments wasn't caught on camera, what a pity. This is the quote about the incident, and I think it shows his character and strength.
"In December 1991, during a match for Nîmes, he threw the ball at the referee, having been angered by one of his decisions. He was summoned to a disciplinary hearing by the French Football Federation and was banned for one month. Cantona responded by walking up to members of the hearing committee in turn and calling each of them an "idiot". His ban was increased to two months, and Cantona subsequently announced his retirement from football on 16 December 1991."
Thankfully he reconsidered his decision and via Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds United did something good in Manchester.
Great story! The story of his transfer to Man Utd is also a belter. If memory serves, it transpired from Sergeant Howard Wilkinson calling the United chairman to enquire about buying one of their players and then Wilko happily agreeing to sell them Cantona after the United chairman raised it as a joke. Something like that anyway. Wilkinson had reportedly once described Cantona as "a Lee Chapman with tricks." I honestly don't know whether that is true or not but it does sound like something he might have said!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Having run through a few times, this is really a terrific listening experience. I've always liked and plugged this record but that was never to say it didn't have its issues and couldn't be improved. For me, the real problem tracks were the likes of Slant Six, Highway One, Jewellers & Bums, Passport to Detroit and even Gangsterville, where there was a good tune hidden beneath too much murk and I really believe this work proves it. Highway One Zero Street is one that stands out because listening to it, i was instantly struck by how clear and luscious Zander's strings sound in the background. I always liked his playing, we just needed to hear it properly. Also digging the extras, Gallop Your Donkey is just more great creativity and I've always adored Dizzy's Goatee so that instrumental is going down, like one of Mr Kiplings finest, exceedingly well!

Marky, will never begin to fathom how you put all this stuff together and cannot begin to thank you enough for it. This isn't just a great contribution, also a very important one i think.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 12:24pm
Having run through a few times, this is really a terrific listening experience. I've always liked and plugged this record but that was never to say it didn't have its issues and couldn't be improved. For me, the real problem tracks were the likes of Slant Six, Highway One, Jewellers & Bums, Passport to Detroit and even Gangsterville, where there was a good tune hidden beneath too much murk and I really believe this work proves it. Highway One Zero Street is one that stands out because listening to it, i was instantly struck by how clear and luscious Zander's strings sound in the background. I always liked his playing, we just needed to hear it properly. Also digging the extras, Gallop Your Donkey is just more great creativity and I've always adored Dizzy's Goatee so that instrumental is going down, like one of Mr Kiplings finest, exceedingly well!

Marky, will never begin to fathom how you put all this stuff together and cannot begin to thank you enough for it. This isn't just a great contribution, also a very important one i think.
Cheers LDL. If I knew how or even why I do it I would tell you. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 4:12pm
Low Down Low wrote:

Ha! Whatever about the why, the how would be pretty much akin to you as Father Ted trying to explain to Dougal here why the cows in the field beyond look so tiny! I just know a great job when I hear one :approve:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 5:37pm
Marky Dread wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 4:12pm
Low Down Low wrote:

Ha! Whatever about the why, the how would be pretty much akin to you as Father Ted trying to explain to Dougal here why the cows in the field beyond look so tiny! I just know a great job when I hear one :approve:
🤣😎👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

Can someone reup this? Missed it at the time.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

CorwoodRep wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 2:22pm
On it. Will send you a PM with the link.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

CorwoodRep wrote:
09 Jun 2023, 2:22pm
The link is still live.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

Ack. Sorry. I thought it was scrubbed from the original post. Downloading now and eager to listen. The original mix on that record is so weird.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Don't let him download it! He's just going to copy it to an acetate and leave it in abandoned gas station!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
10 Jun 2023, 1:16am
Don't let him download it! He's just going to copy it to an acetate and leave it in abandoned gas station!
That's fine as that means Dr. Medulla will get to hear it. Assuming he's used his hobo skills to snaffle a nice stereo from somewhere.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Jun 2023, 3:11am
Flex wrote:
That's fine as that means Dr. Medulla will get to hear it. Assuming he's used his hobo skills to snaffle a nice stereo from somewhere.
revbob says stuff—or people, anyway—found in abandoned gas stations have viruses.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jun 2023, 6:02am
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
revbob says stuff—or people, anyway—found in abandoned gas stations have viruses.
Yeah just leave Kaleb at the gas station and take the acetate only. It will probably only have a mild virus. A little whiskey and you'll be fine.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Jun 2023, 8:08am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
Yeah just leave Kaleb at the gas station and take the acetate only. It will probably only have a mild virus. A little whiskey and you'll be fine.
Only a little whiskey? No deal!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jun 2023, 8:22am
Marky Dread wrote:
10 Jun 2023, 8:08am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Flex wrote:
Only a little whiskey? No deal!
For the virus then yes. As for the hobo hoedown after party you can drink until you fall down.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia