Earthquake Weather on Amazon review

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Earthquake Weather on Amazon review

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

A while back, I think over on Snews while IMCT was down, it was being discussed that Amazon was going to start making out of print albums available on CD. Earthquake Weather being one of them. A review on Amazon:
CDr with generic cover, no remastering, no liner notes, NOTHIN', June 30, 2008
By Allan MacInnis (Vancouver) - See all my reviews
Not Joe's finest moment, but an interesting and ambitious project. Not here to rate the music, though, but the fact that YES, this is an "official" CDR release. With a laser printer, a download of the album cover, and a CD-burner, you could make pretty much the same quality disc yourself. The back cover is some generic template, not the original back cover. The front cover is a none-too-clear laser printjob of the original, but it doesn't even exactly fit the case. There's nothing inside the booklet. And the sound quality is no improvement on whatever MP3 files have been kicking around online for years; there are even mysterious drops in volume (on track 6, say) that seem like they might be glitches... I suppose there's a place for cheapie CDr reissues - because Sony would likely have never invested in a "real" reissue - but don't the esteemed hosts of this transaction feel morally obliged to TELL YOU WHAT YOU'RE BUYING? This is NOT a CD. This is a CDr, indifferently presented, to cash in on the unsuspecting. Boo, hiss; prolonged sound of flatulence in the direction of A-m-a-z-o-n and S-o-n-y. Breathe it in!
So for anyone thinking of ordering it off Amazon, doesn't seem worth the 13 bucks, might as well just download and burn it. Pretty lame.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Re: Earthquake Weather on Amazon review

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:A while back, I think over on Snews while IMCT was down, it was being discussed that Amazon was going to start making out of print albums available on CD. Earthquake Weather being one of them. A review on Amazon:
CDr with generic cover, no remastering, no liner notes, NOTHIN', June 30, 2008
By Allan MacInnis (Vancouver) - See all my reviews
Not Joe's finest moment, but an interesting and ambitious project. Not here to rate the music, though, but the fact that YES, this is an "official" CDR release. With a laser printer, a download of the album cover, and a CD-burner, you could make pretty much the same quality disc yourself. The back cover is some generic template, not the original back cover. The front cover is a none-too-clear laser printjob of the original, but it doesn't even exactly fit the case. There's nothing inside the booklet. And the sound quality is no improvement on whatever MP3 files have been kicking around online for years; there are even mysterious drops in volume (on track 6, say) that seem like they might be glitches... I suppose there's a place for cheapie CDr reissues - because Sony would likely have never invested in a "real" reissue - but don't the esteemed hosts of this transaction feel morally obliged to TELL YOU WHAT YOU'RE BUYING? This is NOT a CD. This is a CDr, indifferently presented, to cash in on the unsuspecting. Boo, hiss; prolonged sound of flatulence in the direction of A-m-a-z-o-n and S-o-n-y. Breathe it in!
So for anyone thinking of ordering it off Amazon, doesn't seem worth the 13 bucks, might as well just download and burn it. Pretty lame.
That's a shame...apparently, no b-sides either.

TJM
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by TJM »

Amazon does have the 5 B-sides in the MP3 download album. If you insist on it being legit you can find it there. On a personal note- Earthquake was the first album I ever bought on CD, not vinyl. Ah, my youth...

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

TJM wrote:Amazon does have the 5 B-sides in the MP3 download album. If you insist on it being legit you can find it there. On a personal note- Earthquake was the first album I ever bought on CD, not vinyl. Ah, my youth...
Was the first album I bought on cassette not vinyl. Ah the stupidity of youth..

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Post by Still216 »

TJM wrote:Amazon does have the 5 B-sides in the MP3 download album. If you insist on it being legit you can find it there. On a personal note- Earthquake was the first album I ever bought on CD, not vinyl. Ah, my youth...
Looking at the Amazon entry for EW:

This looks like a legit, in-stock CD. If I stumbled across this, I'd think I was getting the actual shrinkwrapped Sony EW CD. Which I realize is impossible since it's 15+ years out of print, but what is Amazon doing not disclosing that it's a booklet-less CD-R?
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wow, this fucking sucks. I had really been looking forward to owning a legit copy of this on cd. Well, no one gets my money now.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Post by Still216 »

Flex wrote:Wow, this fucking sucks. I had really been looking forward to owning a legit copy of this on cd. Well, no one gets my money now.
You shoulda looked around pre-2002. It was under $20 on CD used - with the booklet and everything. The Clash revival had just barely kicked off (just FHTE and Westway).

If there's even a grain of truth to the long-standing rumor that Epitaph/Hellcat have the rights to EW and aren't putting it out, they're morons. They're reissuing deluxe versions of Bad Religion albums that came out less than a year ago and they're not putting out a deluxe version of EW?
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

Flex

Post by Flex »

Still216 wrote:You shoulda looked around pre-2002. It was under $20 on CD used - with the booklet and everything. The Clash revival had just barely kicked off (just FHTE and Westway).

I know. But I wasn't as learned in my Clash ways. I didn't even know about EW then. I just had the Clash albums and the Meskies stuff (and maybe The Globe, I don't really remember).
If there's even a grain of truth to the long-standing rumor that Epitaph/Hellcat have the rights to EW and aren't putting it out, they're morons. They're reissuing deluxe versions of Bad Religion albums that came out less than a year ago and they're not putting out a deluxe version of EW?
I turned suspicious of Hellcat/Epitaph after I learned about their little fracas with Leftover Crack. Not that I don't buy the music on that label, just that I question some of their practices.

Pex Lives!

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Post by Still216 »

Flex wrote: I know. But I wasn't as learned in my Clash ways. I didn't even know about EW then. I just had the Clash albums and the Meskies stuff (and maybe The Globe, I don't really remember).
Heh, that's funny, the Globe CD was my first exposure to anything Clash related, and that was in August 1996. Between Marcus' book and the CCS dispatches from the late '90s to 2001, I guess I knew just enough about EW to bother to snag it on CD before it became a relic that no one bothered to reissue. I countered that good luck when I paid way the hell too much for an original vinyl copy of Bad Religion's Into The Unknown, so what the hell.

Global A Go-Go kicks EW's ass, so you were ahead of the game from the start, man.
Flex wrote: I turned suspicious of Hellcat/Epitaph after I learned about their little fracas with Leftover Crack. Not that I don't buy the music on that label, just that I question some of their practices.
I never heard about that. What happened with Leftover Crack? I know about the Offspring's scuffle with Mr. Brett way back when, but I'm sure LC's argument came from a much different place (i.e. no arguments about royalties on multiplatinum CDs, or when baseball teams played their songs at stadiums)

Flex

Post by Flex »

Still216 wrote:I countered that good luck when I paid way the hell too much for an original vinyl copy of Bad Religion's Into The Unknown, so what the hell.
I like "Into the Unknown" although I wouldn't pay the kind of $$$ it goes for these days. Still, it's cool you have it. I wish they would reissue it, which they will never ever do.
I never heard about that. What happened with Leftover Crack? I know about the Offspring's scuffle with Mr. Brett way back when, but I'm sure LC's argument came from a much different place (i.e. no arguments about royalties on multiplatinum CDs, or when baseball teams played their songs at stadiums)
Hellcat et al. got really bitchy with Leftover Crack and the content of their album. They wouldn't let the band do what they wanted for an album title or cover art (I think they wanted to go with "Shoot the Kids at School" which was the name of an EP they released independently a year earlier). Stza made a comment that Epitaph wanted "mediocre artwork with a mediocre generic title" and so the band submitted the album as "mediocre generica" and gave Epitaph that really, well, generic artwork which was used for the release. The joke was, apparently, lost on the good folks at Epitaph. That little dispute is why they hopped onto Alternative Tentacles.

Pex Lives!

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Post by Still216 »

Flex wrote:
Hellcat et al. got really bitchy with Leftover Crack and the content of their album. They wouldn't let the band do what they wanted for an album title or cover art (I think they wanted to go with "Shoot the Kids at School" which was the name of an EP they released independently a year earlier). Stza made a comment that Epitaph wanted "mediocre artwork with a mediocre generic title" and so the band submitted the album as "mediocre generica" and gave Epitaph that really, well, generic artwork which was used for the release. The joke was, apparently, lost on the good folks at Epitaph. That little dispute is why they hopped onto Alternative Tentacles.
According to Wikipedia, they released their "Shoot The Kids At School" EP in 2000, less than a year after Columbine. OK, I'm a sell-out, I agree with Brett not wanting to bring hellfire and brimstone down upon Epitaph for releasing an album with that title. Wikipedia also states that "Mediocre Generica" was released on September 11, 2001. Not LC's fault, but what a sense of timing, those guys.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Still216 wrote:According to Wikipedia, they released their "Shoot The Kids At School" EP in 2000, less than a year after Columbine. OK, I'm a sell-out, I agree with Brett not wanting to bring hellfire and brimstone down upon Epitaph for releasing an album with that title. Wikipedia also states that "Mediocre Generica" was released on September 11, 2001. Not LC's fault, but...
I think they wanted to name the title of the album after the self-released EP. I actually sympathize with Brett here, but both Shoot the Kids at School and Rock the 40oz (which actually depict Kelbold and Harris on the cover) had already been released when LC was signed. Plus, Choking Victim which was basically the same thing as leftover Crack had already released an album on Epitaph. What the fuck did the label expect from Stza at al? Its their modus operandi. I think it comes off as kind of hypocritical of the label to sign a band knowing full well how confrontational they are and then get offended when the band behaves exactly as they always have.

if I were Epitaph, I wouldn't want them to have released an album called "Shoot the Kids at School" on my label either. So I wouldn't have signed them in the first place.

P.S. I actually love the Choking Victim/Leftover Crack family of bands. But I'm glad I'm not in charge of releasing their albums.

Pex Lives!

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Post by Still216 »

Flex wrote:
I think they wanted to name the title of the album after the self-released EP. I actually sympathize with Brett here, but both Shoot the Kids at School and Rock the 40oz (which actually depict Kelbold and Harris on the cover) had already been released when LC was signed. Plus, Choking Victim which was basically the same thing as leftover Crack had already released an album on Epitaph. What the fuck did the label expect from Stza at al? Its their modus operandi. I think it comes off as kind of hypocritical of the label to sign a band knowing full well how confrontational they are and then get offended when the band behaves exactly as they always have.

if I were Epitaph, I wouldn't want them to have released an album called "Shoot the Kids at School" on my label either. So I wouldn't have signed them in the first place.
Agreed. Although, speaking objectively, Rock The 40 Oz is a better album title and concept.

Also, the late 90s weren't the greatest time for Epitaph. No Bad Religion and no Offspring. And NOFX took a nice long break between 1997 and 2000 before deciding to record stuff on their own label in '03. I wasn't there, but I'm hazarding an educated guess that clarity wasn't flowing as easily as other substances in the Epitaph offices in the late '90s.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Still216 wrote:Agreed. Although, speaking objectively, Rock The 40 Oz is a better album title and concept.
Ha, I'll agree with that.
Also, the late 90s weren't the greatest time for Epitaph. No Bad Religion and no Offspring. And NOFX took a nice long break between 1997 and 2000 before deciding to record stuff on their own label in '03. I wasn't there, but I'm hazarding an educated guess that clarity wasn't flowing as easily as other substances in the Epitaph offices in the late '90s.
Yeah, that's kind of a "lost period" for the label. Both Hellcat and Epitaph proper became a lot less interesting in the wake of that time too. There's still good stuff coming out on the label and its imprints, but I really don't have interest in a lot of the more contemporary stuff they're putting out that doesn't have its roots in the early to mid 90s scene. The anti- imprint is really where its at these days.

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

If you trawl the second hand music shops in Notting Hill, Soho etc..you will find an original EW, alternatively do it online as those shops have web sites.