Strummservations

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: Strummservations

Post by Inder »

Was watching this interview with Lydon where he's not in character and is actually comes across quite nicely. Says this about Joe:
There've been a few deaths recently, Joe Strummer for instance. I used to love to take the wheeze out of him. And then he died and I miss him dearly. But Joe knew. It's just people around love to twist it into something else. There's nothing really poisonous or hurtful in me. I don't think so.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Are we ever going to get some sort of CD (box set preferably) of unreleased/rare Strummer tracks? Lucinda hinted she was working on a book that would come with a CD of unreleased songs but that was years ago, haven't heard anything about it since.

I've been on a Joe kick the past few days and was just wishing we had some new stuff from him. Can't believe it's almost been a decade. On one hand, at least his death hasn't been milked liked some musicians... but I wouldn't complain about any rarities release... or a live album! Hell, even just a compilation of soundtrack stuff. Or an Earthquake Weather remaster with b-sides and the Permanent Record songs as bonus tracks. What about the Pogues shows he fronted? Wasn't there talk of a release of one of those? I need more Joe!

There's a shitty clash release at least every other year, surely there's some Joe stuff worthy of release.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:Are we ever going to get some sort of CD (box set preferably) of unreleased/rare Strummer tracks? Lucinda hinted she was working on a book that would come with a CD of unreleased songs but that was years ago, haven't heard anything about it since.

I've been on a Joe kick the past few days and was just wishing we had some new stuff from him. Can't believe it's almost been a decade. On one hand, at least his death hasn't been milked liked some musicians... but I wouldn't complain about any rarities release... or a live album! Hell, even just a compilation of soundtrack stuff. Or an Earthquake Weather remaster with b-sides and the Permanent Record songs as bonus tracks. What about the Pogues shows he fronted? Wasn't there talk of a release of one of those? I need more Joe!

There's a shitty clash release at least every other year, surely there's some Joe stuff worthy of release.
Unreleased Strummer: The Terry Chimes Sessions.

Featuring never-before-seen footage of them playing Career Opportunities at Shea Stadium while the Mets ground crew dumps fertilizer and crabgrass killer on the turf.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Jimmy Jazz wrote: What about the Pogues shows he fronted? Wasn't there talk of a release of one of those? I need more Joe!
The Pogues are only very barely a band at the moment, but they definitely intend to release a pro-recorded live album from the time when Strummer was fronting them at some point. They aren't tackling it with any kind of urgency, though.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
Jimmy Jazz wrote: What about the Pogues shows he fronted? Wasn't there talk of a release of one of those? I need more Joe!
The Pogues are only very barely a band at the moment, but they definitely intend to release a pro-recorded live album from the time when Strummer was fronting them at some point. They aren't tackling it with any kind of urgency, though.
I hope this comes off. I saw them with Strummer in 91 and it was one of the best gigs I've been to.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Rat Patrol wrote: Unreleased Strummer: The Terry Chimes Sessions.

Featuring never-before-seen footage of them playing Career Opportunities at Shea Stadium while the Mets ground crew dumps fertilizer and crabgrass killer on the turf.
Heh, wouldn't surprise me as a Sony release. Joe Strummer: Live!... (with The Clash at Shea Stadium, Night #2... the undamaged tapes miraculously found in Topper's nutsack).
Silent Majority wrote: The Pogues are only very barely a band at the moment, but they definitely intend to release a pro-recorded live album from the time when Strummer was fronting them at some point. They aren't tackling it with any kind of urgency, though.
That's good to hear at least... except for the urgency part. Still at least it's something.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Strummer observation: "The Brooding Side of Madness" is a masterpiece.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Chuck Mangione wrote:Strummer observation: "The Brooding Side of Madness" is a masterpiece.
"Brooding Six" too.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:Are we ever going to get some sort of CD (box set preferably) of unreleased/rare Strummer tracks? Lucinda hinted she was working on a book that would come with a CD of unreleased songs but that was years ago, haven't heard anything about it since.

I hope something gets released soon too. There's gotta be some great stuff out there, all worth listening to as well. Did anyone else catch that in TFIU when the lady Joe did the When Pigs Fly soundtrack for said he gave her like 9 hours of music that was recorded in a short amount of time?

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

At the time I think it was more than a hint wasn't it ?

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

101Walterton wrote:
Had to search out the interview, you're right. From December of 2007.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 63372.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 63817.html
After some intensive work, feeling out of her depth and worried that what she didn't understand would hinder the process, she called in reinforcements, including the artist Gordon McHarg. All the material found in plastic bags and some Clash lyrics unearthed in mouldy tea chests have now been put on file, photographed, carefully stored between acid-proof paper and catalogued. It's all archived now, waiting. "One day we will do an amazing book," Lucinda says. "With Damien Hirst. But it's a long time off and it's going to take many, many... " She slows herself down, obviously excited. "It's not something that's going to be rushed into; it's going to be beautifully done it'll be like an art book, with photographs, lyrics, drawings, maybe unreleased songs, rarities. It'll have CDs in it, rare Joe stuff we'll see what we've got."
Hopefully, this is still in the works.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Had to search out the interview, you're right. From December of 2007.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 63372.html
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 63817.html
After some intensive work, feeling out of her depth and worried that what she didn't understand would hinder the process, she called in reinforcements, including the artist Gordon McHarg. All the material found in plastic bags and some Clash lyrics unearthed in mouldy tea chests have now been put on file, photographed, carefully stored between acid-proof paper and catalogued. It's all archived now, waiting. "One day we will do an amazing book," Lucinda says. "With Damien Hirst. But it's a long time off and it's going to take many, many... " She slows herself down, obviously excited. "It's not something that's going to be rushed into; it's going to be beautifully done it'll be like an art book, with photographs, lyrics, drawings, maybe unreleased songs, rarities. It'll have CDs in it, rare Joe stuff we'll see what we've got."
Hopefully, this is still in the works.
Next year is 10 years. That's when potential audience is the biggest. If it happens at all that's the window of opportunity. If not, then I doubt we're going to see much else from the solo vaults.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Nefertiti Rock is awesome, but seriously flies under the radar.

Vimmattu
Long Time Jerk

Post by Vimmattu »

Hear hear for Baby the Trans. A brilliant song!
- Pilled up and rrattling -

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

As I suspect I'm the only one who reads my Nilsson thread (although Google Bot seems sympathetic), I'll also post this here for visibility :shifty: :
Inder wrote:As a random observation, Mucho Mungo/St Elga sounds a lot like Mondo Bongo, especially when we get into the Mt Elga bits.

Lennon's fascination with island riddims is really evident here — the production sounds like him trying to approximate a dub. Especially with the harsh stereoscopic trem and phased acoustics.

[youtube][/youtube]
There's also the similarity of the titles... though it could just be the faux/jokey Latin vibe that runs through both tracks.