Strummservations

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: Strummservations

Post by Inder »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 2:32pm

Ah, so it's basically a physical issue. Gotcha.
I believe there's a pill for that.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 2:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 1:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 12:44pm
101Walterton wrote:
14 Oct 2019, 5:04pm
Been eyeing up a vinyl copy of the Acton Firefighters gig in my local music shop. Very expensive plus I already the CD but still tempted, anyone got it or heard it?
Does it include all the acts or just Meskies?
I'll say this only. Vinyl bootlegs rarely sound better than their CD counterparts.
Even Neil Young boots?

More seriously, why is that?
The Simple answer is that the majority of bootlegs end up being rushed pressings with poor quality vinyl.
Primarily but also a production issue. A lot of pressings are done very cheaply and the cutting equipment not up to the standard of the major players. Others are put out from the same pressing plant as the major players but done on the quiet and rushed out to make someone a quick buck.

They are getting better over the years with more vinyl being pressed now than for some time. With decent private pressing plants able to knock out a few hundred copies for around £500 - £1000 with bespoke sleeves etc. However the source material is a sticking point with copyright.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 3:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 12:44pm

I'll say this only. Vinyl bootlegs rarely sound better than their CD counterparts.
Even Neil Young boots?

The Simple answer is that the majority of bootlegs end up being rushed pressings with poor quality vinyl.
Primarily but also a production issue. A lot of pressings are done very cheaply and the cutting equipment not up to the standard of the major players. Others are put out from the same pressing plant as the major players but done on the quiet and rushed out to make someone a quick buck.

They are getting better over the years with more vinyl being pressed now than for some time. With decent private pressing plants able to knock out a few hundred copies for around £500 - £1000 with bespoke sleeves etc. However the source material is a sticking point with copyright.
This one is on 2 x 10” which would indicate a little more effort went into it? Having said that the cover is barely minimal.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 3:11pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Even Neil Young boots?

This one is on 2 x 10” which would indicate a little more effort went into it? Having said that the cover is barely minimal.
Effort maybe but a gimmick definitely for the collector. If you think about that Specials reissue half speed master on two 12" vinyls that I mentioned having bigger grooves for better sound. Then this 10" with more grooves crammed into less space will be the exact opposite.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 3:23pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Effort maybe but a gimmick definitely for the collector. If you think about that Specials reissue half speed master on two 12" vinyls that I mentioned having bigger grooves for better sound. Then this 10" with more grooves crammed into less space will be the exact opposite.
True.
Going back to my original question I am not sure how many tracks are on the album as it doesn’t say on cover art. But from memory the Meskies alone played a full set plus the encore with Mick and speeches etc. the cover write up also mentions comedians??

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 4:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

True.
Going back to my original question I am not sure how many tracks are on the album as it doesn’t say on cover art. But from memory the Meskies alone played a full set plus the encore with Mick and speeches etc. the cover write up also mentions comedians??
Wait a minute here you are talking about the Acton gig that was officially released by Epitaph in 2017. Not a bootleg. That has 16 tracks the same as the bootleg CD.

The sound will also be crisp as it's an official release mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 5:46pm
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

True.
Wait a minute here you are talking about the Acton gig that was officially released by Epitaph in 2017. Not a bootleg. That has 16 tracks the same as the bootleg CD.

It is the Fireman’s benefit concert just not sure if the official Epitaph as not much detail on cover and vinyl behind counter. Will have a look next time.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 7:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:

True.

It is the Fireman’s benefit concert just not sure if the official Epitaph as not much detail on cover and vinyl behind counter. Will have a look next time.
It's made to look like a bootleg. With an insert of just black and white with a pic of Joe sitting down with guitar.
Attachments
418455057861.jpeg.jpg
418455057861.jpeg.jpg (79.9 KiB) Viewed 14796 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Oct 2019, 4:41am
101Walterton wrote:
15 Oct 2019, 7:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

True.

It's made to look like a bootleg. With an insert of just black and white with a pic of Joe sitting down with guitar.
That’s the one yes.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Tangentially related stuff, but Tim Robbins talks about hanging out with people on the set of Straight to Hell: https://film.avclub.com/tim-robbins-on- ... 1839041976
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I've been wanting to watch Candy Mountain and have not had luck finding it (Amazon has a Region 2 DVD). I occasionally search online to see if it's streaming and came across this review today: "A mediocre musician goes in search of the world's greatest guitar maker, encountering a series of bizarre people along the way. Cameos by musicians like David Johansen and Buster Poindexter enliven the journey." :mrgreen:
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 10:41am
I've been wanting to watch Candy Mountain and have not had luck finding it (Amazon has a Region 2 DVD). I occasionally search online to see if it's streaming and came across this review today: "A mediocre musician goes in search of the world's greatest guitar maker, encountering a series of bizarre people along the way. Cameos by musicians like David Johansen and Buster Poindexter enliven the journey." :mrgreen:
Two David's are better than one I guess.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Marky Dread wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 12:01pm
WestwayKid wrote:
I heard it also has a cameo from musicians like John Mellor and Joe Strummer... ;)
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

WestwayKid wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 2:00pm
Marky Dread wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 12:01pm
WestwayKid wrote:
I heard it also has a cameo from musicians like John Mellor and Joe Strummer... ;)
...and that Woody bloke. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Ok, the date can’t be right.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"