Strummservations

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
WestwayKid
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3106
Joined: 20 Sep 2017, 8:22am
Location: Mill-e-wah-que

Re: Strummservations

Post by WestwayKid » 18 Jun 2019, 7:53am

Heston wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 6:44pm
This was posted on FB, some great pics...

http://www.bobgruen.com/joe-strummer-me ... veGzcSBMEE
Some fantastic shots in this collection - many of which I have never seen before. Thanks for the share. It feels like Gruen did a great job capturing Joe as he was.
"If they believed in a place called Kokomo, then so did I." - Michael Edward Love

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2927
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: Strummservations

Post by BitterTom » 18 Jun 2019, 7:53am

Saw these this morning, great pictures.

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1722
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: Strummservations

Post by Low Down Low » 18 Jun 2019, 1:50pm

The familiar one fifth from the top is the greatest clash pic ever taken in my book, or at least the best live one. Never knew it was from Boston though, thought it was the palladium nyc.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 28283
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Strummservations

Post by Flex » 20 Jun 2019, 11:45am

Flex wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 11:34am
Okay, the Strummer polling begins next week. I'd never suggest anyone listen to something that isn't BERNIETIME for eetweek, but I'll just say that I'm gonna structure this to include pretty much all his non-Clash material (101ers, Wilderness, Meskies) so plan and refresh yourself accordingly.
Sorry, this week turned out to be a bit shit. Will be starting NEXT MONDAY, so get your Joe-listening in, folks.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 43361
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Strummservations

Post by Marky Dread » 20 Jun 2019, 1:13pm

Flex wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 11:45am
Flex wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 11:34am
Okay, the Strummer polling begins next week. I'd never suggest anyone listen to something that isn't BERNIETIME for eetweek, but I'll just say that I'm gonna structure this to include pretty much all his non-Clash material (101ers, Wilderness, Meskies) so plan and refresh yourself accordingly.
Sorry, this week turned out to be a bit shit. Will be starting NEXT MONDAY, so get your Joe-listening in, folks.
Looking forward to this.
Image

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 19069
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Strummservations

Post by 101Walterton » 20 Jun 2019, 5:04pm

Flex wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 11:45am
Flex wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 11:34am
Okay, the Strummer polling begins next week. I'd never suggest anyone listen to something that isn't BERNIETIME for eetweek, but I'll just say that I'm gonna structure this to include pretty much all his non-Clash material (101ers, Wilderness, Meskies) so plan and refresh yourself accordingly.
Sorry, this week turned out to be a bit shit. Will be starting NEXT MONDAY, so get your Joe-listening in, folks.
Looking forward to it.
Is it just Joe solo or his various bands as well?

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 28283
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Strummservations

Post by Flex » 20 Jun 2019, 5:08pm

101Walterton wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 5:04pm
Is it just Joe solo or his various bands as well?
Solo and various non-Clash bands. Get listening!
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 19069
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Strummservations

Post by 101Walterton » 20 Jun 2019, 5:10pm

Flex wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 5:08pm
101Walterton wrote:
20 Jun 2019, 5:04pm
Is it just Joe solo or his various bands as well?
Solo and various non-Clash bands. Get listening!
I’m always listening. May have to go back into 101ers in weekend though.

BitterTom
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2927
Joined: 31 Oct 2015, 12:21pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: Strummservations

Post by BitterTom » 25 Jun 2019, 5:26pm

Tony Adams is such a good fucking song, loving this album. Had it on a bit too loud, baby started crying, I got a bollocking but I can honestly say it was so worth it.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 19069
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: Strummservations

Post by 101Walterton » 25 Jun 2019, 5:29pm

BitterTom wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:26pm
Tony Adams is such a good fucking song, loving this album. Had it on a bit too loud, baby started crying, I got a bollocking but I can honestly say it was so worth it.
Yep TA is a great song can’t believe it picked upvotes this early.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 31281
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Strummservations

Post by Heston » 25 Jun 2019, 5:41pm

BitterTom wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:26pm
Tony Adams is such a good fucking song, loving this album. Had it on a bit too loud, baby started crying, I got a bollocking but I can honestly say it was so worth it.
I don't want to be too negative here but I found all of Joe's post-Clash albums a little lacking. Some great songs here and there but a real lack of good melody in places and not many rocking out songs. He was only in his Forties, you are allowed to kick up some shit at that age still. We needed more Coma Girls and Rockin' Worlds and less Nitcombs and Gamma Rays.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 84291
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Strummservations

Post by Dr. Medulla » 25 Jun 2019, 5:47pm

Heston wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:41pm
BitterTom wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:26pm
Tony Adams is such a good fucking song, loving this album. Had it on a bit too loud, baby started crying, I got a bollocking but I can honestly say it was so worth it.
I don't want to be too negative here but I found all of Joe's post-Clash albums a little lacking. Some great songs here and there but a real lack of good melody in places and not many rocking out songs. He was only in his Forties, you are allowed to kick up some shit at that age still. We needed more Coma Girls and Rockin' Worlds and less Nitcombs and Gamma Rays.
Agreed 100%. The voice is still there, magnetic as always, but the music rarely stands out and grabs. Listening to all the Mescaleros records this afternoon, I was especially struck by how easily Global-a-Go-Go just evaporated from my consciousness. A good album could be made from about half of X-Ray, a third of Streetcore, and a couple songs from Global, but way too much doesn't dent my imagination or memory.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 28283
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Strummservations

Post by Flex » 25 Jun 2019, 6:09pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:47pm
Heston wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:41pm
BitterTom wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:26pm
Tony Adams is such a good fucking song, loving this album. Had it on a bit too loud, baby started crying, I got a bollocking but I can honestly say it was so worth it.
I don't want to be too negative here but I found all of Joe's post-Clash albums a little lacking. Some great songs here and there but a real lack of good melody in places and not many rocking out songs. He was only in his Forties, you are allowed to kick up some shit at that age still. We needed more Coma Girls and Rockin' Worlds and less Nitcombs and Gamma Rays.
Agreed 100%. The voice is still there, magnetic as always, but the music rarely stands out and grabs. Listening to all the Mescaleros records this afternoon, I was especially struck by how easily Global-a-Go-Go just evaporated from my consciousness. A good album could be made from about half of X-Ray, a third of Streetcore, and a couple songs from Global, but way too much doesn't dent my imagination or memory.
An example of having different ears. I think those Meskies albums are consistently excellent, catchy and memorable. I don't want to turn it into Mick vs Joe solo careers or something, so I'll just say that I'm glad Joe found his way out of the wilderness and out three albums that are on par with his work with the Clash (in a good way).
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 84291
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia
Contact:

Re: Strummservations

Post by Dr. Medulla » 25 Jun 2019, 6:19pm

Flex wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 6:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:47pm
Heston wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:41pm
BitterTom wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:26pm
Tony Adams is such a good fucking song, loving this album. Had it on a bit too loud, baby started crying, I got a bollocking but I can honestly say it was so worth it.
I don't want to be too negative here but I found all of Joe's post-Clash albums a little lacking. Some great songs here and there but a real lack of good melody in places and not many rocking out songs. He was only in his Forties, you are allowed to kick up some shit at that age still. We needed more Coma Girls and Rockin' Worlds and less Nitcombs and Gamma Rays.
Agreed 100%. The voice is still there, magnetic as always, but the music rarely stands out and grabs. Listening to all the Mescaleros records this afternoon, I was especially struck by how easily Global-a-Go-Go just evaporated from my consciousness. A good album could be made from about half of X-Ray, a third of Streetcore, and a couple songs from Global, but way too much doesn't dent my imagination or memory.
An example of having different ears. I think those Meskies albums are consistently excellent, catchy and memorable. I don't want to turn it into Mick vs Joe solo careers or something, so I'll just say that I'm glad Joe found his way out of the wilderness and out three albums that are on par with his work with the Clash (in a good way).
As I mentioned elsewhere, it's just aesthetic preference. Post-Clash, Joe was drawn ever more to his folkie inclinations, and for the most part that's not where my tastes lie.
Poonty, boloques, juffmunch, carpoo, snazellfonks.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 31281
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Strummservations

Post by Heston » 25 Jun 2019, 6:21pm

Flex wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 6:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:47pm
Heston wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:41pm
BitterTom wrote:
25 Jun 2019, 5:26pm
Tony Adams is such a good fucking song, loving this album. Had it on a bit too loud, baby started crying, I got a bollocking but I can honestly say it was so worth it.
I don't want to be too negative here but I found all of Joe's post-Clash albums a little lacking. Some great songs here and there but a real lack of good melody in places and not many rocking out songs. He was only in his Forties, you are allowed to kick up some shit at that age still. We needed more Coma Girls and Rockin' Worlds and less Nitcombs and Gamma Rays.
Agreed 100%. The voice is still there, magnetic as always, but the music rarely stands out and grabs. Listening to all the Mescaleros records this afternoon, I was especially struck by how easily Global-a-Go-Go just evaporated from my consciousness. A good album could be made from about half of X-Ray, a third of Streetcore, and a couple songs from Global, but way too much doesn't dent my imagination or memory.
An example of having different ears. I think those Meskies albums are consistently excellent, catchy and memorable. I don't want to turn it into Mick vs Joe solo careers or something, so I'll just say that I'm glad Joe found his way out of the wilderness and out three albums that are on par with his work with the Clash (in a good way).
Fair points but the "catchy" bit just passes me by. I'm a sucker for a good melody but a lot of Meskie songs never stick with me. I had to put a few tunes back on to remember them for the polls, despite hearing all the albums many times.

On the other side of the spectrum I can understand why people might find something like "Champagne" by BAD a little saccharine and opt for the weighty sound of the Meskies albums.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests