Strummservations

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Re: Strummservations

Post by YoungParisians »

"The Outsider" Joe Strummer interview NME 2-APRIL-1988
EtFobIPVgAAXjo2.jpg
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

Joe Strummer - Not Fade Away - NME 26-MARCH-1988
Est71siUUAQaapb.jpg
Est72kBUcAIoEEG.jpg
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Joe didn't need help writing songs-- he often, but not always, needed help arranging songs. If anything he had too many ideas for songs and couldn't always tell the difference between a good idea and a bad one.

I'm tallying up a list of post-82 Joe songs with melodies as strong as anything anyone's ever written and came up with this short list:

This is England
Three Card Trick
North and South
Tennessee Rain
Baby the Trans
Shouting Street
Sleepwalk
Sandpaper Blues
Yalla Yalla
Johnny Appleseed
Burning Streets
Coma Girl
Arms Aloft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

IkarisOne wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 5:29pm
Joe didn't need help writing songs-- he often, but not always, needed help arranging songs. If anything he had too many ideas for songs and couldn't always tell the difference between a good idea and a bad one.

I'm tallying up a list of post-82 Joe songs with melodies as strong as anything anyone's ever written and came up with this short list:

This is England
Three Card Trick
North and South
Tennessee Rain
Baby the Trans
Shouting Street
Sleepwalk
Sandpaper Blues
Yalla Yalla
Johnny Appleseed
Burning Streets
Coma Girl
Arms Aloft
All decent songs. You could add a handful pre Clash also. Now if only they had been played by the classic line up. There's more than writing good songs and melodies there's chemistry in a band that makes something great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

YoungParisians wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 12:04pm
Joe Strummer - Not Fade Away - NME 26-MARCH-1988
Est71siUUAQaapb.jpg
Est72kBUcAIoEEG.jpg
Loving all this YP, one thing about joe, he could never give a boring interview. Dont know if you do requests, but there was an interview promoting Earthquake Weather I'd love to read again. Think it was in nme with the last line joe saying "it's nae bad jimmy", i think. Guess sometime latish 89.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

IkarisOne wrote:

This is England
Three Card Trick
North and South
Tennessee Rain
Baby the Trans
Shouting Street
Sleepwalk
Sandpaper Blues
Yalla Yalla
Johnny Appleseed
Burning Streets
Coma Girl
Arms Aloft
Did Joe write all those single handedly though? Never studied the credits for the post Clash stuff.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 9:10am
IkarisOne wrote:

This is England
Three Card Trick
North and South
Tennessee Rain
Baby the Trans
Shouting Street
Sleepwalk
Sandpaper Blues
Yalla Yalla
Johnny Appleseed
Burning Streets
Coma Girl
Arms Aloft
Did Joe write all those single handedly though? Never studied the credits for the post Clash stuff.
Mescalero melodies are definitely collaborative. After X-Ray, they built those songs from the rhythm up together, jamming to get a tune together.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Silent Majority wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 10:17am
Heston wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

This is England
Three Card Trick
North and South
Tennessee Rain
Baby the Trans
Shouting Street
Sleepwalk
Sandpaper Blues
Yalla Yalla
Johnny Appleseed
Burning Streets
Coma Girl
Arms Aloft
Mescalero melodies are definitely collaborative. After X-Ray, they built those songs from the rhythm up together, jamming to get a tune together.
Yes i think thats definitely how it worked. I'd have paid decent money just to sit in on those guys having a jam together, a very gifted bunch indeed. Like the phrase "mescalero melodies", thats the later joe stuff i like best.

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

Straight To Hell soundtrack advert
EbeHykhWkAAndVj.jpg

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

EwWLZqcU8AEhwXe.jpg
Ew07lr8UYAETETE.jpg

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

Live review and tour dates from Melody Maker in 1988
ExHOZUdUUAEstpr.jpg
ExOnPZFVIAAt6W1.jpg

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

YoungParisians wrote:
25 Apr 2021, 4:59pm
Live review and tour dates from Melody Maker in 1988
ExHOZUdUUAEstpr.jpgExOnPZFVIAAt6W1.jpg
Love the review, the writer is quite astute with his 101'ers comment. Cheers for these.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Cool scans YP. Thanks for sharing. I've got this one framed and hanging above the toilet. Wonder how many VHS copies actually sold for the suggested retail price of $79.98.

StraightToHellPoster.jpg
StraightToHellPoster.jpg (243.83 KiB) Viewed 10576 times
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Silent Majority wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 10:17am
Heston wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

This is England
Three Card Trick
North and South
Tennessee Rain
Baby the Trans
Shouting Street
Sleepwalk
Sandpaper Blues
Yalla Yalla
Johnny Appleseed
Burning Streets
Coma Girl
Arms Aloft
Yalla Yalla and Sandpaper Blues were co-written with Richard Norris with Pablo Cook also on the former and Gary Dyson on the latter.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Does anyone remember/have a source for Joe’s assessment of Crass? I can’t find it anywhere.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc