Mescaleros' choice of Clash songs

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
msza
Corner Soul

Mescaleros' choice of Clash songs

Post by msza »

I've been curious about this for awhile: Why do you think Joe favorite playing songs the Clash covered over Clash originals?

My thought is that he wanted his new original material to shine more than his old original stuff. Any other thoughts/theories/facts?

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Re: Mescaleros' choice of Clash songs

Post by Still216 »

msza wrote:I've been curious about this for awhile: Why do you think Joe favorite playing songs the Clash covered over Clash originals?

My thought is that he wanted his new original material to shine more than his old original stuff. Any other thoughts/theories/facts?
The songs the Clash covered weren't that far off from what the Meskies specialized in. It's not like the Clash ever recorded covers of pre-77 punkish stuff like Search And Destroy, Ramblin Rose, or Two Tub Man (although I'd give my big left toe for those recordings if they existed). A lot of the Clash covers were reggae-tinged numbers to start with.
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Im picking he did songs he liked and songs he wrote and was proud of.

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

He probably found it more fun to play covers. I assume they're probably some of his favorite songs, which is why The Clash covered them to begin with, and so the songs stuck with him more.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

When I saw them in 99, I think the only cover he played was IFTL.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

I remember reading that the other Mescalero's wanted to play mostly original songs in the live sets,
this might be a reason that starting after 1999, a lot of the Clash songs (RTC, SEH ect.) were eliminated.
I also got the feeling Joe always wanted to sing lead vocals on POM thus the inclusion starting in 2001.

Two Clash tunes the Mescaleros would have been great on:

Magnificent Seven
Broadway

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

I was thinking about this the other day, how the Mescaleros supposedly didn't like playing the Clash songs. I can understand wanting to play the stuff you have helped create.. but come on, you're in a band with joe fucking strummer and you're going to complain about having to play Clash songs with him? :rolleyes:

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Seriously. Get over yourselves.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I've read that Joe tried to stick to Clash tunes he'd had the bigger hand in writing, ie. London Calling, Bankrobber, London's Burning, Rudie Can't Fail etc.
Don't know how true it is.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

They should have played Fingerpoppin'
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:They should have played Fingerpoppin'
It was discussed, but they were still in litigation with Dead or Alive.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

msza
Corner Soul

Post by msza »

I think you're right about Joe picking songs he largely wrote, Heston. Except maybe Rudie, which sounds like a Mick song to me.

Oh, and I wish they would have played some Earthquake Weather more often, specifically that reggae version of Shouting Streets, Island Hopping, and Ride Your Donkey. They played SS and IH on 11/24/99, which was captured in crystal clear quality, but it isnt on the megalist. Any chance someone could upload it?

Heston

Post by Heston »

msza wrote:I think you're right about Joe picking songs he largely wrote, Heston. Except maybe Rudie, which sounds like a Mick song to me.

Oh, and I wish they would have played some Earthquake Weather more often, specifically that reggae version of Shouting Streets, Island Hopping, and Ride Your Donkey. They played SS and IH on 11/24/99, which was captured in crystal clear quality, but it isnt on the megalist. Any chance someone could upload it?
I too was always under the impression Rudie was a Mick song, but I think Joe may have surprised us. :approve:
And yes, I love that reggae version of Shouting Street, but it seems to have disappeared from my life, has anyone got it for upload?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

they also should have played "we are the clash," in a Capella stylee
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Heston wrote:
msza wrote:I think you're right about Joe picking songs he largely wrote, Heston. Except maybe Rudie, which sounds like a Mick song to me.

I too was always under the impression Rudie was a Mick song, but I think Joe may have surprised us. :approve:
And yes, I love that reggae version of Shouting Street, but it seems to have disappeared from my life, has anyone got it for upload?
Reggae version of Shouting Street? In crystal clear quality? Must hear.