Straight To Hell (FILM) & Walker

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: Straight To Hell (FILM) & Walker

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
matedog wrote:I've heard that the Jarmusch one is the only good film he was ever in and so I rented. The movie was pretty good, but Strummer was terrible in it. So I don't really have the desire to watch him act poorly in a bad movie. Straight to Hell is at least intriguing.
On a side note, Down by Law is a great movie.
Co-sign
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

I've seen Straight to Hell at least twice, with a few decades between viewings. Never saw Walker. And Repo Man was great.

as for Jarmusch, he's a better film maker, no contest.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

coolUNDERheat_mk.II
Corner Soul

Post by coolUNDERheat_mk.II »

Watch it online for free on Hulu! (cant believe its on there...)

http://www.hulu.com/watch/286923
registered in 2004. Back for more.

[url]http://caseysway.blogspot.com/[/url]

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I will add again (for the millionth time) how much Filibustero owes to Al Capone by Prince Buster.

coolUNDERheat_mk.II
Corner Soul

The first half of that soundtrack is so instrumental I hesitate to even think Joe was on those tracks at all, other than a bit of producing and arranging. But that second half, some of Joe's best ever work. Tropic of No Return, Tennessee Rain, Musket Waltz, such wonderful songs. Very indebted to Bob Dylan's OST for Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid in my opinion.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

The first half of that soundtrack is so instrumental I hesitate to even think Joe was on those tracks at all, other than a bit of producing and arranging. But that second half, some of Joe's best ever work. Tropic of No Return, Tennessee Rain, Musket Waltz, such wonderful songs. Very indebted to Bob Dylan's OST for Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid in my opinion.
As I recall, Joe stated in a Musician interview that he's playing some kind of rhythm instrument on every track -- but he couldn't reveal it, due to his contractual restrictions. He also mentions having to get permission to sing on it, which is why he only did three vocals.

That being said, I'd agree with the above comparison, and sentiments -- one of Joe's absolute must-hears and must-owns.

The film is good, too, although it feels chopped up in spots -- apparently because it was cut down from a four-hour (!) original version! Obviously, I don't think that was strictly necessary, but I get the feeling that there was good stuff that probably got lost, too.

As for Straight To Hell, I haven't seen it in awhile, but as a spaghetti western spoof, it works quite well -- it falls into that "don't think about it too hard" entertainment category, basically. The soundtrack LP is good, too, as well.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

coolUNDERheat_mk.II wrote:The first half of that soundtrack is so instrumental I hesitate to even think Joe was on those tracks at all, other than a bit of producing and arranging. But that second half, some of Joe's best ever work. Tropic of No Return, Tennessee Rain, Musket Waltz, such wonderful songs. Very indebted to Bob Dylan's OST for Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid in my opinion.
The Unknown Immortal is one of my all time favorite Joe songs.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

coolUNDERheat_mk.II
Corner Soul

Chairman Ralph wrote:
As I recall, Joe stated in a Musician interview that he's playing some kind of rhythm instrument on every track -- but he couldn't reveal it, due to his contractual restrictions. He also mentions having to get permission to sing on it, which is why he only did three vocals.
Wow I didn't know that but that would make sense. Zander Schloss (who played Karl the Weiner Kid in STH) is credited with alot of the instrumentation so I figure he and Joe worked pretty closely. And there's no way I could sit through a 4 hour version of Walker, and I say that as a fan of the movie haha.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Wow I didn't know that but that would make sense. Zander Schloss (who played Karl the Weiner Kid in STH) is credited with alot of the instrumentation so I figure he and Joe worked pretty closely. And there's no way I could sit through a 4 hour version of Walker, and I say that as a fan of the movie haha.
Yeah, those contractual restraints can be suffocating, though Joe seemed to get around it well by not revealing anything -- well, till he did that interview, anyway! :mrgreen:

As a fan of the film, I wouldn't sit through a four-hour Walker -- it's just that, from my standpoint, the editing strikes me as choppy in certain places. I'd like a version that rectifies those issues...after all, with today's technology, you've got more options than in the bygone VHS era, where you'd only have room to tack on a five- or 10-minute "feature-ette," and call it a day. :mrgreen:

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Inder wrote:I will add again (for the millionth time) how much Filibustero owes to Al Capone by Prince Buster.
Say that again?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Inder wrote:I will add again (for the millionth time) how much Filibustero owes to Al Capone by Prince Buster.
DON'T ARGUE!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia