Stiff Little Fingers: Strummerville

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
a wobblin
Dirty Punk

Stiff Little Fingers: Strummerville

Post by a wobblin »

Cracking Lyrics

...apologies if a repost.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Stiff Little Fingers: Strummerville

Post by Marky Dread »

a wobblin wrote:Cracking Lyrics

...apologies if a repost.

Yep it's a good 'un.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Great song. Here's one I filmed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnwHqKxZR0Q

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

SLF (Jake) never denied their love / inspiration from the Clash even in their early days (when it wasnt fashionable to) so full credit to them, unlike the bandwagon jumpers after Joe's death.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:SLF (Jake) never denied their love / inspiration from the Clash even in their early days (when it wasnt fashionable to) so full credit to them, unlike the bandwagon jumpers after Joe's death.
I only wish SLF had split up for good in '83 and they might have been held in higher esteem than they are now.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

wmhp2

Post by wmhp2 »

I know im in the minority here from previous postings ive made, but i disagree. SLF have continued to entertain me for the last 18 or so years since they reformed with some good tunes and great live shows. I think the worlds a better place with them in it. Unlike other bands who slog on with punk reunions/nostalgia trips.

Now if the Rolling Stones had quit in '75.....thats a different story

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

wmhp2 wrote:I know im in the minority here from previous postings ive made, but i disagree. SLF have continued to entertain me for the last 18 or so years since they reformed with some good tunes and great live shows. I think the worlds a better place with them in it. Unlike other bands who slog on with punk reunions/nostalgia trips.

I will join you in the minority.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Wolter wrote:
wmhp2 wrote:I know im in the minority here from previous postings ive made, but i disagree. SLF have continued to entertain me for the last 18 or so years since they reformed with some good tunes and great live shows. I think the worlds a better place with them in it. Unlike other bands who slog on with punk reunions/nostalgia trips.

If Wolter is in the minority I will join in, they've always been a great band good to see Ali Mcmordie back on bass.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Don't get me wrong, I've seen them live countless times over the last few years, and I like (but not love) a lot of their stuff since the original split.
I just think their legend would have been better served by a clean split after their four original albums.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:

I'll be persecuted for being black like the rest of you.

I mean, for liking post-83 SLF. Yes
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:

I'll be persecuted for being black like the rest of you.

I mean, for liking post-83 SLF. Yes
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:Don't get me wrong, I've seen them live countless times over the last few years, and I like (but not love) a lot of their stuff since the original split.
I just think their legend would have been better served by a clean split after their four original albums.
Make that after two albums :mrgreen:

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:Don't get me wrong, I've seen them live countless times over the last few years, and I like (but not love) a lot of their stuff since the original split.
Make that after two albums :mrgreen:
Go For It had some fantastic songs (Roots,Radicals, Safe As Houses, Piccadilly Circus), the only weak track on the album is Hits and Misses.
And I've said it before, Now Then is one of my favourite albums of all time, punk-pop perfection!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Hits and Misses is great NO weak tracks on "Go For It" period and i'll fight any fucker who says different ...c'mon bring it on.
Piccadilly Circus what a totally brilliant song about a guy who leaves behind the troubles of Northern Ireland only to get stabbed in fucking London, pure passion from one of punk rocks greatest bands...101 are you for real?

Flags and Emblems is quality.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:Hits and Misses is great NO weak tracks on "Go For It" period and i'll fight any fucker who says different ...c'mon bring it on.
Piccadilly Circus what a totally brilliant song about a guy who leaves behind the troubles of Northern Ireland only to get stabbed in fucking London, pure passion from one of punk rocks greatest bands...101 are you for real?

Flags and Emblems is quality.
Ha ha, that's me and 101 told! :mrgreen:

I think Hits and Misses is actually an OK song with some great lyrics, just don't think it stands up to the rest of the album tune-wise.
And you're right about Piccadilly Circus, it's a phenomenal song, gets the old hairs standing up on the back of the neck.