Joe & The Pogues album

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Joe & The Pogues album

Post by Silent Majority »

And there's more.....

We will shortly announce new editions of Red Roses For Me and Peace and Love consisting of entirely remixed versions of both albums. They are exclusively available in a new box set, released October this year, called POGUES 30 which contains all our studio albums in facsimile editions plus a previously unreleased live album of the Pogues featuring Joe Strummer at the London Forum in December 1991.

Transmission ends
http://pogues.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... 33#p215133
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Joe & The Pogues album

Post by Flex »

Holy shit, that's awesome. I never have really picked up much of the Pogues discography, so a box set of their studio stuff plus an official release of the '91 Joe show is extremely enticing.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
And there's more.....

We will shortly announce new editions of Red Roses For Me and Peace and Love consisting of entirely remixed versions of both albums. They are exclusively available in a new box set, released October this year, called POGUES 30 which contains all our studio albums in facsimile editions plus a previously unreleased live album of the Pogues featuring Joe Strummer at the London Forum in December 1991.

Transmission ends
http://pogues.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... 33#p215133
That's great news because those two albums had a very poor mix.

I'm excited about the Strummer album too as I saw them live on that tour and it was an amazing gig.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Heston wrote: That's great news because those two albums had a very poor mix.
Agreed. Red Roses needs everything to be louder with more vocal presence, it's very weedy compared to Rum, Sodomy. Peace & Love could do with being stripped down and built up again, too much cocaine madness around that album. A proper remix could save some of the more lightweight tracks. And maybe we'll finally get a release for MacGowan's fifteen minute, totally mental, LSD drenched, acid-house dance odyssey "Contact Yourself."
I'm excited about the Strummer album too as I saw them live on that tour and it was an amazing gig.
Yeah, neither Strummer or the Pogues were at their best in the period, but it's a part of the story that's been missing from the record, officially. Love the Pogues' 'Straight to Hell' and more Joe vocals is just the ticket after Sound System. One of my favourite singer doing some of my favourite songs in a recording that doesn't come from a tape recorder up someone's arse in the Gods would be a nice Christmas gift.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
Agreed. Red Roses needs everything to be louder with more vocal presence, it's very weedy compared to Rum, Sodomy. Peace & Love could do with being stripped down and built up again, too much cocaine madness around that album. A proper remix could save some of the more lightweight tracks. And maybe we'll finally get a release for MacGowan's fifteen minute, totally mental, LSD drenched, acid-house dance odyssey "Contact Yourself."
Yeah, neither Strummer or the Pogues were at their best in the period, but it's a part of the story that's been missing from the record, officially. Love the Pogues' 'Straight to Hell' and more Joe vocals is just the ticket after Sound System. One of my favourite singer doing some of my favourite songs in a recording that doesn't come from a tape recorder up someone's arse in the Gods would be a nice Christmas gift.
Is the London Forum gig the same one they pulled the Joe-sangTurkish Song of the Damned from for the last box set? If so, it's mighty fine quality.

And yeah, Peace and Love could come out of this very well with the right mix. I remember buying it the day it came out and (story of my life this) I thought it had a technical fault. Cottonfields has the stupidest mix, it's quite insane.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Slickgonzalez
Dirty Punk

Post by Slickgonzalez »

Can't wait for the Joe show! It's about time!

Heston

Post by Heston »

I've just been listening to Peace and Love. Some great stuff buried in the mix ready to be liberated. "Young Ned of the Hill" is still one of my favourite ever Pogues songs. Stirring!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Heston wrote:I've just been listening to Peace and Love. Some great stuff buried in the mix ready to be liberated. "Young Ned of the Hill" is still one of my favourite ever Pogues songs. Stirring!
I still don't like Gridlock or Blue Heaven. But the rest is an easy salvage. Push Shane up in the mix and balance every one else.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:I've just been listening to Peace and Love. Some great stuff buried in the mix ready to be liberated. "Young Ned of the Hill" is still one of my favourite ever Pogues songs. Stirring!
I still don't like Gridlock or Blue Heaven. But the rest is an easy salvage. Push Shane up in the mix and balance every one else.
Gridlock was always a crazy opener, probably b-side material at best. I liked Blue Heaven at first but it gave me toothache by the second listen. Down All the Days deserves a clearer mix. London, You're a Lady has always been a tragic waste of great lyrics and decent tune.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Gridlock was always a crazy opener, probably b-side material at best. I liked Blue Heaven at first but it gave me toothache by the second listen. Down All the Days deserves a clearer mix. London, You're a Lady has always been a tragic waste of great lyrics and decent tune.
Down All the Days, for a start, could lose the corny typewriter sound effects. London You're A Lady, I don't know what the problem's with. I like the tune. I like the lyrics. It just doesn't come together at all.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

About time we get some sort of new Strummer release

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Is the London Forum gig the same one they pulled the Joe-sangTurkish Song of the Damned from for the last box set? If so, it's mighty fine quality.

And yeah, Peace and Love could come out of this very well with the right mix. I remember buying it the day it came out and (story of my life this) I thought it had a technical fault. Cottonfields has the stupidest mix, it's quite insane.
That version of Turkish Song Of The Damned was originally a cd single track, along with I Fought The Law and a brilliant, accordian-led, London Calling. I'd love to hear the whole concert.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

Peace & Love has some dynamite B-sides, namely Everyman Is A King and Train of Love. I love Gridlock as an opener. It's not a great song, it's barely a Pogues song, and they opened with it. That's batshit and endears the album to me.

As for the Joe live show, well, I've been waiting for that for 8 or 9 years. It's the last "shit that could be released but inexplicably hasn't been" music I've been waiting for. It's the end of the road for me, a holy grail of stuff I wanted to hear in high school when I still enjoyed things. The bootlegs are great, and Joe lent Shane's lyrics a populism and relative lucidity that I want preserved in soundboard quality. Joe singing If I Should Fall From Grace with the Pogues is the ultimate cover to me, in theory.

I'll be waiting for this like a greedy fat child on Christmas eve. It's always been in the back of my head that Phil had those tapes and wasn't releasing them. Glad it's gonna happen finally. Used to think it wouldn't.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Slickgonzalez
Dirty Punk

Post by Slickgonzalez »

Has anyone found a release date for this?

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Slickgonzalez wrote:Has anyone found a release date for this?
If October, I'm gonna guess either the 15th, 22nd, or 29th.