Unreleased Joe stuff

Joe Strummer discussion forum. Latino Rockabilly War, Mescaleros and more!
drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Re: Unreleased Joe stuff

Post by drowninghere »

I also like EW a lot - personal faves being Gangsterville, King of the Bayou, Leopardskin Limousines, Jewellers & Bums and Sleepwalk. I also like the songs lyrically. Not really understanding the perception of this album as a disappointment, since expectations should have been under control after Love Kills, Permanent Record soundtrack and Walker.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

drowninghere wrote:I also like EW a lot - personal faves being Gangsterville, King of the Bayou, Leopardskin Limousines, Jewellers & Bums and Sleepwalk. I also like the songs lyrically. Not really understanding the perception of this album as a disappointment, since expectations should have been under control after Love Kills, Permanent Record soundtrack and Walker.
Love Kills/Dum Dum Club/Trash City are better than anything on EW in my opinion so I was expecting a little more when EW was released.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
drowninghere wrote:I also like EW a lot - personal faves being Gangsterville, King of the Bayou, Leopardskin Limousines, Jewellers & Bums and Sleepwalk. I also like the songs lyrically. Not really understanding the perception of this album as a disappointment, since expectations should have been under control after Love Kills, Permanent Record soundtrack and Walker.
Love Kills/Dum Dum Club/Trash City are better than anything on EW in my opinion so I was expecting a little more when EW was released.
Musically, Love Kills/Dum Dum Club benefit from Mick's guitar; Trash City is a wonderful song and lyric and is better recorded (along with the other PR tracks) than EW. I think one of the main problems with EW and the LRW in general was Zander Schloss's guitar. It still bugs me today when I hear a solo on those LRW songs. Good enough player, but all wrong for those songs. I think the quieter songs on EW - Sleepwalk, Leopardskin Limousines, Island Hopping - stand out because Schloss isn't doing his overly busy '70s wankery.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Musically, Love Kills/Dum Dum Club benefit from Mick's guitar; Trash City is a wonderful song and lyric and is better recorded (along with the other PR tracks) than EW. I think one of the main problems with EW and the LRW in general was Zander Schloss's guitar. It still bugs me today when I hear a solo on those LRW songs. Good enough player, but all wrong for those songs. I think the quieter songs on EW - Sleepwalk, Leopardskin Limousines, Island Hopping - stand out because Schloss isn't doing his overly busy '70s wankery.
I agree mate but Zander played on Trash City so why the over blown guitar on EW. Let's not forget also the ZS played guitar on Walker.

As for Mick on LK and DDC they are two of my favorite Joe solo tracks although Joe had those track remixed you can still hear Mick on the BV's and a little of his guitar in the mix. I would kill to hear these pre-mix.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:As for Mick on LK and DDC they are two of my favorite Joe solo tracks although Joe had those track remixed you can still hear Mick on the BV's and a little of his guitar in the mix. I would kill to hear these pre-mix.
Hang on - on Love Kills and Dum Dum Club that's entirely Mick on guitar - I know his sound, as you do. (Joe is on those tracks as well and as usual, mixed low).
I've never noticed Mick on BVs on those cuts; but what version(s) do you have that you hear " a little of his guitar in the mix"? The 12", 7", and soundtrack CD versions are all loud and clear Mick. Is that a Mick sound-alike? You know something I don't mate? (probably :lol: )

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:As for Mick on LK and DDC they are two of my favorite Joe solo tracks although Joe had those track remixed you can still hear Mick on the BV's and a little of his guitar in the mix. I would kill to hear these pre-mix.
Hang on - on Love Kills and Dum Dum Club that's entirely Mick on guitar - I know his sound, as you do. (Joe is on those tracks as well and as usual, mixed low).
I've never noticed Mick on BVs on those cuts; but what version(s) do you have that you hear " a little of his guitar in the mix"? The 12", 7", and soundtrack CD versions are all loud and clear Mick. Is that a Mick sound-alike? You know something I don't mate? (probably :lol: )
This info is from TeddyB

Joe had Chris Lord-Alge remix it. You can still hear a bit of Mick's guitar and definitely his chorus backgrounds.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
This info is from TeddyB

Joe had Chris Lord-Alge remix it. You can still hear a bit of Mick's guitar and definitely his chorus backgrounds.
What I'm saying is - you can hear a WHOLE LOT of Mick's guitar on the two tracks. As in - Mick's the guitar player. Was there another guitar player involved in the recordings? (who happens to sound a lot like Mick)

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

According to Salewicz Mick added guitar parts to both tracks but "virtually all" of his playing was edited out during the subsequent remixing. No mention of Lord-Alge, though, so maybe he doesn't quite have the full picture there?

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Low Down Low wrote:According to Salewicz Mick added guitar parts to both tracks but "virtually all" of his playing was edited out during the subsequent remixing. No mention of Lord-Alge, though, so maybe he doesn't quite have the full picture there?
Cheers Lowdown. So is the main guitarist on those two tracks? Sounds for all the world like MJ to me, especially on Dum Dum Club what with those low rumbling rockabilly-esque licks.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Cant offer any insight am afraid other than what is in the Salewicz book and you'd like to think he'd be a trustworthy source. Now here's an odd notion...an occams razor as it were: seen as he's the only officially credited guitarist on the production, could it be that Joe did all the guitar work himself? Doesn't really sound all that intricate to my delicate untrained ears!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:According to Salewicz Mick added guitar parts to both tracks but "virtually all" of his playing was edited out during the subsequent remixing. No mention of Lord-Alge, though, so maybe he doesn't quite have the full picture there?
Cheers Lowdown. So is the main guitarist on those two tracks? Sounds for all the world like MJ to me, especially on Dum Dum Club what with those low rumbling rockabilly-esque licks.
TeddyB knows ask him. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
TeddyB knows ask him. ;)
No, not yet! Let's try to figure this out ourselves first!
OK - on LK, could be Walter Lure? And DDC, maybe Chris Spedding? Over to you mate...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
TeddyB knows ask him. ;)
OK - on LK, could be Walter Lure? And DDC, maybe Chris Spedding? Over to you mate...
You're reading into this too much.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
TeddyB knows ask him. ;)
Oh for sure I am. So who's the guitar player/s on the songs? :D

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote: Cheers Lowdown. So is the main guitarist on those two tracks? Sounds for all the world like MJ to me, especially on Dum Dum Club what with those low rumbling rockabilly-esque licks.
TeddyB knows ask him. ;)
Oh for sure I am. So who's the guitar player/s on the songs? :D
A relatively unknown guitar player of some repute called Mick Jones.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia