The De-Berniator

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
CorwoodRep
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 6338
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 2:39am

Re: The De-Berniator

Post by CorwoodRep »

A surprising thing that's happened since the De-Berniator: I sort of hate The Dictator more now that the arrangement is charitable. Dunno why. It's stuck in my head in the worst way possible. Maybe I just can't stand the lyrics and this gives me the opportunity to notice that.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 36882
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The De-Berniator

Post by Heston »

CorwoodRep wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 7:31pm
A surprising thing that's happened since the De-Berniator: I sort of hate The Dictator more now that the arrangement is charitable. Dunno why. It's stuck in my head in the worst way possible. Maybe I just can't stand the lyrics and this gives me the opportunity to notice that.
You need a De-De-Berniator by the sound of it.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

CorwoodRep
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 6338
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 2:39am

Re: The De-Berniator

Post by CorwoodRep »

You know, I'm not sure that I do.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 36882
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction

Re: The De-Berniator

Post by Heston »

CorwoodRep wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 7:48pm
You know, I'm not sure that I do.
Yeah, wouldn't we just be back to Cut the Crap? Never an ideal outcome.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 30669
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: The De-Berniator

Post by Flex »

Heston wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 8:09pm
CorwoodRep wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 7:48pm
You know, I'm not sure that I do.
Yeah, wouldn't we just be back to Cut the Crap? Never an ideal outcome.
cut the crap in quadraphonic, i reckon
In the words of Jean-Paul Sartre: "Au revoir, gopher."

Pex Lives!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks
Posts: 55011
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: The De-Berniator

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 11:15pm
Heston wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 8:09pm
CorwoodRep wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 7:48pm
You know, I'm not sure that I do.
Yeah, wouldn't we just be back to Cut the Crap? Never an ideal outcome.
cut the crap in quadraphonic, i reckon
Yes…yes…
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

TeddyB Not Logged In
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1890
Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 8:42pm

Re: The De-Berniator

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Atmos. 7:1. Maybe they could get Giles. Or Steven Wilson.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 50878
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: The De-Berniator

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 2:27am
Atmos. 7:1. Maybe they could get Giles. Or Steven Wilson.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

thelatebphelium
User avatar
Corner Soul
Posts: 4
Joined: 11 Jul 2021, 10:09pm

Re: The De-Berniator

Post by thelatebphelium »

Heston wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 12:45pm
JChampion wrote:

I'm reading We Are The Clash right now also. While I know how the Clash story ends, I can't help but hope the it ends differently!
I'm American so the I'm finding the politics from both sides of the pond very informative.
So, I have a few questions that maybe the more informed could answer...
Are the views of the political events presented fair? These last few years has lead me to a lot of skepticism when reading "news".
And this is the big question.
Could The Clash, in this incarnation, have been as good as a band as the book portrays them to be?
I'm not asking about being better than The Clash classic lineup. But were they really becoming that strong on stage that with a proper producer/manager and Joe in a better place, they could have built upon the legacy in a positive way?
I'm not so sure. I think their moment had gone. And I don't think the backing vocals from the new guys were good enough. Mick sweetened their sound with his backing vocals, that was where he was really missed imo.
i think the book has things pretty spot on, but it's definitely on the left side of the perspective. they are embellishing things a bit. especially the band's playing etc. hey... they want you to cheer on these dudes! those neocon, cold war capitalists swung the US and Britain away from socialism. most bands or musicians didn't really give a shit or feigned distress. Joe 'Woody' Strummer did care. And he didn't want to be a phony that devolved into a petulant rock star cartoon. Personality crisis.

but the times were indeed, heavy. the nuclear anxiety was super high. I had nightmares about nuclear holocaust all of the time. we still did nuclear drills in school. i was in my early teens when i first heard Combat Rock in 1982. i was into Grandmaster Flash and Afrika Bambaataa. The Message was such a big record for me. So the Clash made sense to me. my brother made fun of me for liking Overpowered by Funk. he called it Disco Clash. I was jealous of Mick Jones. i knew they were in NYC getting played on WBLS!! i just thought they were the coolest.

but Cut the Crap??? wow... i remember seeing it in the shops one day. i was stoked. i had been following the Mick vs Joe stuff. i heard about the busking tour. the cover looked like it might be awesome, but it wasn't. ooooof. ha!

but yeah... even if they had made the record with a competent engineer and producer, i think it still would've been panned in its day. just not so severely. the band probably wouldn't have lasted very long afterwards. but i do think the record would be received warmly today. one of those... hey... sure it's a roots rock record... not breaking any new ground musically (reductive Clash-lite), but hey it's Joe Strummer. the eighties really fucked up some easy to make records!!

JChampion
Bang Ice Geezer
Posts: 161
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 2:10pm

Re: The De-Berniator

Post by JChampion »

thelatebphelium wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 5:21pm
Heston wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 12:45pm
JChampion wrote:

I'm reading We Are The Clash right now also. While I know how the Clash story ends, I can't help but hope the it ends differently!
I'm American so the I'm finding the politics from both sides of the pond very informative.
So, I have a few questions that maybe the more informed could answer...
Are the views of the political events presented fair? These last few years has lead me to a lot of skepticism when reading "news".
And this is the big question.
Could The Clash, in this incarnation, have been as good as a band as the book portrays them to be?
I'm not asking about being better than The Clash classic lineup. But were they really becoming that strong on stage that with a proper producer/manager and Joe in a better place, they could have built upon the legacy in a positive way?
I'm not so sure. I think their moment had gone. And I don't think the backing vocals from the new guys were good enough. Mick sweetened their sound with his backing vocals, that was where he was really missed imo.
i think the book has things pretty spot on, but it's definitely on the left side of the perspective. they are embellishing things a bit. especially the band's playing etc. hey... they want you to cheer on these dudes! those neocon, cold war capitalists swung the US and Britain away from socialism. most bands or musicians didn't really give a shit or feigned distress. Joe 'Woody' Strummer did care. And he didn't want to be a phony that devolved into a petulant rock star cartoon. Personality crisis.

but the times were indeed, heavy. the nuclear anxiety was super high. I had nightmares about nuclear holocaust all of the time. we still did nuclear drills in school. i was in my early teens when i first heard Combat Rock in 1982. i was into Grandmaster Flash and Afrika Bambaataa. The Message was such a big record for me. So the Clash made sense to me. my brother made fun of me for liking Overpowered by Funk. he called it Disco Clash. I was jealous of Mick Jones. i knew they were in NYC getting played on WBLS!! i just thought they were the coolest.

but Cut the Crap??? wow... i remember seeing it in the shops one day. i was stoked. i had been following the Mick vs Joe stuff. i heard about the busking tour. the cover looked like it might be awesome, but it wasn't. ooooof. ha!

but yeah... even if they had made the record with a competent engineer and producer, i think it still would've been panned in its day. just not so severely. the band probably wouldn't have lasted very long afterwards. but i do think the record would be received warmly today. one of those... hey... sure it's a roots rock record... not breaking any new ground musically (reductive Clash-lite), but hey it's Joe Strummer. the eighties really fucked up some easy to make records!!
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your perspective. It's nice to read about the feeling of others at this time and their opinion of The Clash MKII. I always felt that they were a strong, solid band live and they would only get better. The problem was the legacy was too much to live up to.
They would forever be compared to the classic lineup and that's something they would never be able to overcome.

Post Reply