Pitchfork reviews Combat Rock

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Pitchfork reviews Combat Rock

Post by KCportland »

Pitchfork does reviews of classic albums on Sundays, today they did a great piece on CR

Sent the writer the Rat Patrol acetate rip, couldn't help myself

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/th ... mbat-rock/

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: Pitchfork reviews Combat Rock

Post by Flex »

That's actually a really good review of CR. Thanks for sharing it. Hope they enjoyed the acetate!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Thanks for the post, I really enjoyed reading that.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

A good read, cheers.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

KCportland wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 1:24am
Pitchfork does reviews of classic albums on Sundays, today they did a great piece on CR

I'd say there's a fair chance the writer is familiar with this site and consulted it while penning the review. A very sophisticated and intelligent piece, particularly dug the last section about KYR. Think she probably should have mentioned Dispatches by Michael Herr which I think was as influential as Apocalypse Now, but that's just a minor quibble.

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

I know it's still popular to make fun of Pitchfork, but their Sunday reviews are the best music writing going. I had a great experience writing one of those. Pretty much had infinite freedom for adding historical context.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.

marxwallace
Corner Soul

Post by marxwallace »

Very good piece. Gotta be a longer-term fan as it really captures a lot of the debate.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

CorwoodRep wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 4:07pm
I know it's still popular to make fun of Pitchfork, but their Sunday reviews are the best music writing going. I had a great experience writing one of those. Pretty much had infinite freedom for adding historical context.
I actually wondered if you wrote it mid-read, but the lack of Central Valley references tipped me off.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I very much enjoyed reading that. I felt it captured the essence of the album and the band at that time and place. CR was the first Clash LP I owned (on cassette) and I've always loved the druggy, hazy vibe of the music. It captures the zeitgeist of post-Vietnam, post-Watergate America by pulling in musical "feelings" from Southeast Asia all the way to the dirty streets of NYC. A proper release of Rat Patrol is my musical Holy Grail (though I'm very happy we got the acetate tracks earlier this year), but even without an official RP, Combat Rock is still an incredible record on its own.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

KCportland wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 1:24am

Cool! She sounds like a true fan, so I imagine she'll really dig it.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

CorwoodRep
Unknown Immortal

Post by CorwoodRep »

matedog wrote:
26 Oct 2021, 4:16am
CorwoodRep wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 4:07pm
I actually wondered if you wrote it mid-read, but the lack of Central Valley references tipped me off.
I only would have taken a Clash assignment if it was Give Em Enough Rope. Combat Rock lore exhausts me.
"Put down the meth, boy." - TeddyB, 2013.