Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Rat Patrol 2LP acetate

Post by Marky Dread »

Red Angel wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 11:13am
If "Overpowered By Funk (Extended New York Mix)" was meant for a 12'' (presumably A-side), what would be the songs on the B-side, had they already been thought of with certainty?
The two Ranking Roger tracks perhaps?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 4:17am
Red Angel wrote:
If "Overpowered By Funk (Extended New York Mix)" was meant for a 12'' (presumably A-side), what would be the songs on the B-side, had they already been thought of with certainty?
What if it was the full version of "Once You Know"? According to Tymon Dogg it lasted 8 minutes.
Music is the only thing that matters

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Red Angel wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 7:02am
Marky Dread wrote:
Red Angel wrote:
What if it was the full version of "Once You Know"? According to Tymon Dogg it lasted 8 minutes.
Only considered for a Tymon release I think. Hence it was an outtake. Could've been included on this new release.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

After some listening and comparisons, I came to this conclusion: there are two versions of "Death Is A Star".

1) Official release (Combat Rock) - 3:11
2) Mick Jones mix (version available only on this acetate) - about 3:11

All other versions of Mick Jones mix, available on bootlegs and various reconstructions, fade out about at 2:36

If I'm wrong please let me know. ;)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Red Angel wrote:
22 May 2022, 5:42am
After some listening and comparisons, I came to this conclusion: there are two versions of "Death Is A Star".

All other versions of Mick Jones mix, available on bootlegs and various reconstructions, fade out about at 2:36

Not two versions exactly. The one on Combat Rock is a different mix and edit to the one on Rat Patrol. But they are the same take. The Rat Patrol one is slightly longer with some extra jangling bell sounds at the end.

If some of the bootlegs have a 2 min 36 seconds then that's because they edited the track probably due to too much hiss is the quieter sections. Hope this helps.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 May 2022, 5:51am
Red Angel wrote:
22 May 2022, 5:42am

Not two versions exactly. The one on Combat Rock is a different mix and edit to the one on Rat Patrol. But they are the same take. The Rat Patrol one is slightly longer with some extra jangling bell sounds at the end.

If some of the bootlegs have a 2 min 36 seconds then that's because they edited the track probably due to too much hiss is the quieter sections. Hope this helps.
It helps a lot, in fact I imagined it was so. Thanks.

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

Red Angel wrote:
Maybe Long Time Jerk would have been?

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

The Golden Bullets album says “ The extended New York Remix by Mick Jones. Initial copies of 'Combat Rock' album were due a bonus 12" EP of remixes of which this was part.” It doesn’t say what the other remixes were going to be.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
22 May 2022, 11:42am
The Golden Bullets album says “ The extended New York Remix by Mick Jones. Initial copies of 'Combat Rock' album were due a bonus 12" EP of remixes of which this was part.” It doesn’t say what the other remixes were going to be.
Mustapha Dance that was used on the 12" B-side.

The bootleg suggests an EP but it may have just been a 12" with Mustapha Dance and Overpowered By Funk on each side.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 May 2022, 3:10pm
laxman wrote:
22 May 2022, 11:42am
Mustapha Dance that was used on the 12" B-side.

The bootleg suggests an EP but it may have just been a 12" with Mustapha Dance and Overpowered By Funk on each side.
Thanks Marky, that makes sense.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Apr 2022, 7:21am
Red Angel wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Red Angel wrote:
Only considered for a Tymon release I think. Hence it was an outtake. Could've been included on this new release.
There's a shorter version of 'Once You Know' on Tymon's 1982 album, 'Battle of Wills,' and also on his compilation album 'The Irrepressible Tymon Dogg A Collection 1968-2010.' The later features a re-recorded version of 'Lose This Skin' rather than the 'Sandanista!' version.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

dave202 wrote:
23 May 2022, 9:56am
Marky Dread wrote:
Red Angel wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Red Angel wrote:
There's a shorter version of 'Once You Know' on Tymon's 1982 album, 'Battle of Wills,' and also on his compilation album 'The Irrepressible Tymon Dogg A Collection 1968-2010.' The later features a re-recorded version of 'Lose This Skin' rather than the 'Sandanista!' version.
"Once You Know" from Tymon's "Battle of Wills" album is not the same version he recorded with The Clash. It also has different lyrics.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 May 2022, 11:24am
dave202 wrote:
23 May 2022, 9:56am
Marky Dread wrote:
Red Angel wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

"Once You Know" from Tymon's "Battle of Wills" album is not the same version he recorded with The Clash. It also has different lyrics.
Sorry, I meant to say different too. I hadn't thought about the lyrics, it's been a long time since I last played it. Thanks for the info, I'm going to dig it out tonight.

Equaliser
Dirty Punk

Post by Equaliser »

Marky Dread wrote:
Red Angel wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Red Angel wrote:
I can't find it right now but isn't there a preliminary track listing for Combat Rock from a Strummer notebook that lists a Tymon track?

YoungParisians
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by YoungParisians »

Equaliser wrote:
24 May 2022, 12:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Red Angel wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Red Angel wrote:
I can't find it right now but isn't there a preliminary track listing for Combat Rock from a Strummer notebook that lists a Tymon track?
There's this screen cap for a BBC doc.
combatrock.jpg

Then this from a draft of early artwork
11232121_10153412233424761_382251121101306186_n.jpg
Hello? Go ahead, man. Yeah I'd just like to say, um, lets have some music now, huh? Ok, ok...thank you.