SANDINISTA! CURIOSITIES

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Re: SANDINISTA! CURIOSITIES

Post by Mark^Bastard »

I imagine it was some kind of crank call? They would have been listening to it in the 'bunker', then I imagine a few people being in on it. Maybe it was recorded through the desk. Pretty funny that it's a real call.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 7:39pm
Low Down Low wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 8:33am
sonnyburnit wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 8:08am
DJ at the beginning of LS is Habte Selassie.
Thanks, it hadn't even occurred to me that that was actually a real dj and not an entirely made up clip. Every day here is a school day!
Yeah genuine radio show called "Labbrish" from WBAI radio in New york. Jamaica DJ.
We used to listen to his show back in the day, he'd play really long sets of reggae and Jamaican music then have long segments where listeners would call in and they'd talk. For the music it was great. For the talking, not as much. Joe calling in asking for some music now huh was how most of us listeners felt while listening to the show, lol.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

weller259 wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 2:47am
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
sonnyburnit wrote:
Thanks, it hadn't even occurred to me that that was actually a real dj and not an entirely made up clip. Every day here is a school day!
Yeah genuine radio show called "Labbrish" from WBAI radio in New york. Jamaica DJ.
We used to listen to his show back in the day, he'd play really long sets of reggae and Jamaican music then have long segments where listeners would call in and they'd talk. For the music it was great. For the talking, not as much. Joe calling in asking for some music now huh was how most of us listeners felt while listening to the show, lol.
It works great as an intro. But fits much better with the Mikey stuff in my opinion. Not sure why they chose it for the start of "Lightning Strikes".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 3:16am
weller259 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
sonnyburnit wrote:
It works great as an intro. But fits much better with the Mikey stuff in my opinion. Not sure why they chose it for the start of "Lightning Strikes".
Hello,

I always thought it was a pretty cool juxtaposition (wow, I haven't used that word in quite a while).

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

On the subject of S! credits, i think they're all pretty much spoken for bar one or two. Not sure if this was covered before, but these still seem a little unclear:

Gerald Baxter--Warman: could be the voice on the Version City intro/outro as Heston suggests. Can't find much on google, just a guy who passed away a few years ago from south London who would seem to fit the bill timewise, but not much else.

Terry McQuade: minor role as friend of Ray's in Rude Boy but unsure of the nature of his contribution on the album.

Rudolph Adolphus Jordan: absolutely zilch info, a search throws up nothing whatsoever. Not convinced it's even a real name tbh.

If these have been dealt with or anyone got further info, be good to hear, thanks.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

motorsmell wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 2:05am
Mark^Bastard wrote:
25 Sep 2022, 8:43pm
I believe I read on here a long time ago that the band played less of the music than I was expecting, like Paul not playing a lot of the bass lines, particularly the iconic ones like Mag 7. Can't remember all the details.
Norman watt Roy played alot of the bass and Micky Gallagher played keyboards on it too...Tymon Dogg did some bits and pieces as well. Think there was quite a few other collaborators involved but those 3 are the ones I can remember and who did the most I think... pretty sure it was Norman's daughter singing guns of Brixton too...
We have tried to sort this out via the sessionography that we are collaborating on. Scroll down to 1980:
https://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic. ... 30#p559430

Fun fact: Style Scott plays drums on Junco Partner!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 10:37am
On the subject of S! credits, i think they're all pretty much spoken for bar one or two. Not sure if this was covered before, but these still seem a little unclear:

Gerald Baxter--Warman: could be the voice on the Version City intro/outro as Heston suggests. Can't find much on google, just a guy who passed away a few years ago from south London who would seem to fit the bill timewise, but not much else.

Terry McQuade: minor role as friend of Ray's in Rude Boy but unsure of the nature of his contribution on the album.

Rudolph Adolphus Jordan: absolutely zilch info, a search throws up nothing whatsoever. Not convinced it's even a real name tbh.

If these have been dealt with or anyone got further info, be good to hear, thanks.
I think the voice that says "who holds the key to Big Ben" is Den Hegarty.

Terry McQuade was part of the crew
Rudolph Adolphus Jordan is Ray Jordan again part of the Clash crew and can be seen in the Mag 7 video and many of The Clash books.

Here's Ray with Joe, Futura 2000 and Fab 5 Freddy. Ray is between Joe and Futura.
Attachments
R-492_FabFiveFreddy_JStrummer_RJordan_Futura2000_1982_Gruen-497x325.jpg
R-492_FabFiveFreddy_JStrummer_RJordan_Futura2000_1982_Gruen-497x325.jpg (114.18 KiB) Viewed 949 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

And a later pic of Ray with Paul.
Attachments
jones_27.jpg
jones_27.jpg (27.49 KiB) Viewed 945 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 11:04am
Low Down Low wrote:

Rudolph Adolphus Jordan is Ray Jordan again part of the Clash crew and can be seen in the Mag 7 video and many of The Clash books.

Here's Ray with Joe, Futura 2000 and Fab 5 Freddy. Ray is between Joe and Futura.
Lovely stuff MD. Should have put 2+2 together with Ray there! I always did think Den was in the mix there somewhere alright.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 11:16am
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Lovely stuff MD. Should have put 2+2 together with Ray there! I always did think Den was in the mix there somewhere alright.
He's on The Sound of Sinners. And that voice imitating a vicar/priest sounds just like the "Big Ben" stuff to me.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 10:21am
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 3:16am
weller259 wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

Hello,

I always thought it was a pretty cool juxtaposition (wow, I haven't used that word in quite a while).
On the original vinyl it opened Side 3 so maybe as an intro opener it worked better. Plus Lightning Strikes is about New York. But I really like it more opening Mikey's dub stuff. Each to their own.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 11:19am
Low Down Low wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 11:16am
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

He's on The Sound of Sinners. And that voice imitating a vicar/priest sounds just like the "Big Ben" stuff to me.
Yeah, i think that sounds right. If den can be tracked on twitter or somewhere, might try and pop off a query and see if he responds. Would be nice to know for sure.

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

matedog wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 10:55am
motorsmell wrote:
Mark^Bastard wrote:
I believe I read on here a long time ago that the band played less of the music than I was expecting, like Paul not playing a lot of the bass lines, particularly the iconic ones like Mag 7. Can't remember all the details.
Norman watt Roy played alot of the bass and Micky Gallagher played keyboards on it too...Tymon Dogg did some bits and pieces as well. Think there was quite a few other collaborators involved but those 3 are the ones I can remember and who did the most I think... pretty sure it was Norman's daughter singing guns of Brixton too...
We have tried to sort this out via the sessionography that we are collaborating on. Scroll down to 1980:

Thanks Matedog, first time i read about Style Scott

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
26 Sep 2022, 10:55am
motorsmell wrote:
Mark^Bastard wrote:

And therefore "Version Pardner". ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

APACHES67
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by APACHES67 »

About Sheperds Delight there are cats or what? Someone knows?