The Mighty Mag 7 from Bonds 6/8 observations thread

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

The Mighty Mag 7 from Bonds 6/8 observations thread

Post by Rat Patrol »

Such a glorious mess it needs its own thread.

I must've listened to all bleeding 8:31 of it about 20 times this week, and every time there's another onion layer of ad-libs and shit I didn't notice before. There's...just so much going on here I don't even. . .

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The Mighty Mag 7 from Bonds 6/8 observations thread

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

I was disappointed they didn't pick this for FHTE. Mr Tibbs is on TV!

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:I was disappointed they didn't pick this for FHTE. Mr Tibbs is on TV!
Indeed !

I remembered get this show on tape early 90's (the audience recording of course)
And listen to this version again and again and again and again...

I'm gonna broadcast it and speaks about the Bond's period on my next radio show for sure

There is lot's of discussions on this board about sandinista
lot's of people prefer the london calling era or the punk period.
But to me sandinista is the best and the sandinista is the apogee of the Clash
Punk to funk
The cocktail between this two still inspire me today and i think is what The Clash (musically speaking) bring best to the world
And this Mag7 version it's a perfect exemple
punk+funk+freedom+party !!!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:I was disappointed they didn't pick this for FHTE. Mr Tibbs is on TV!
This times infinity.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

bazarboy75 wrote:
Indeed !

I remembered get this show on tape early 90's (the audience recording of course)

I'm gonna broadcast it and speaks about the Bond's period on my next radio show for sure

Punk to funk
The cocktail between this two still inspire me today and i think is what The Clash (musically speaking) bring best to the world
Sounds great! I remember sitting in a hotel room in Italy a few years back and half-drunkenly watching a local radio show broadcast on tv when they started talking about Sandinista!. Bugged the hell outta me cos I hadn't a clue what they were saying. It's a head-heart thing for me. I feel i have no choice but to prefer London Calling on account of its sheer creative genius, but my heart is with Sandinista! and Mag 7 will always be my all-time fav Clash song.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

You can pick and choose as much as you like, but in the diversity that The Clash gave, there are so many options. I love London Calling and Sandinista! and especially some tracks from both albums, but then I am also graced with other album tracks, singles and b-sides. Spoilt for choice, that's me.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

I like what happens around the 6'20 mark, the rhythm seems to slow a notch and the song mellows out for a while. Initially i thought there was some kind of distortion on the recording but i'm sure it isn't. Whatever's going on, it adds a nice touch to the track.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

bazarboy75 wrote:
Indeed !

Punk to funk

Agreed 100%

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Hadn't listened to this in awhile, but god damn was that enjoyable. Mag 7 is one I usually skip due to its musical repetitiveness, but this was such a fascinating performance. Definitely one of their all time great performances.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.