Rat Patrol From Hell W10

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Rat Patrol From Hell W10

Post by Marky Dread »

white man wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
F-Punk '79 wrote:Didn't know posters here had daddy issues. Also didn't know about the Mag 7 disc - nice pic! Despite the super clever commentary, I'm still thinking that there are enough CD/RP era oddities laying around to put out a sideways little disc every once in a while, since a full on major release of RP probably isn't ever gonna happen - like they did years ago with BMC (which was sold in record stores). Somebody said something about greedy bastards - so are we pretending sound system never happened? My copy is still on layaway - just five more payments to go!! I don't know or care what Mick does with his time - but I do know what its like to be a clash fan 36-years & counting
Firstly don't take things so seriously mate a sense of humor and being able to take the piss is all par for the course 'round here. I'm 50 years old and I bought White Riot on it's day of release so I've been a long time fan but then again so what if I only heard about them yesterday it's not important.

I still don't know or see how the Black Market Clash 10'' "practically spawned the idea of RSD" can you elaborate further please.

"Daddy issues" what the fuck is that?

The issue of "greedy bastards" is not one of the group selling stuff via Sony but of others selling stuff at a higher price than it's current retail value. I happily bought the Sound System box even though like most it contained very little of what I didn't already own. If you knew that Sony had only made 100 copies of Sound System (think I bought mine on release for around £85.00 here) but then someone had bought say 75 of them then sold them for twice the price on eBay and that was now your only means of getting a copy you would feel a little less like buying a copy and somewhat cheated. As to what price they originally sell for is down to one's pocket for affordability and of course being fans to feeling that we have to have it 'though no one is twisting your arm.
Wowza. At 12 years old. I'm impressed. I was fifteen and purchase it till late 77.
I'm almost 51 so I was probably 13 at the time. I was at Victoria Park at the age of 14 but that was nothing new as my mum used to take me to the Reading Festival from the age of 5/6. The festival came to Reading in 1971 and The Faces played in '72 and '73 but I don't remember seeing them far too young. It wasn't 'til '78 that I went there on my own and I remember that festival all too well fighting the skinheads as Sham 69 played and Pursey ended up in tears. Still the Tom Robinson Band and The Jam were great that year. The Clash were offered to play that year as well but turned it down.

I'd been buying the glam singles like T.Rex/Sweet/Slade before that. My mum had pretty varied taste and when I say I bought them it was she who bought them for me. She gave me my first 7'' when I was very young which I still have to this day a copy of The Yardbirds "Evil Hearted You".
Last edited by Marky Dread on 11 Jul 2015, 4:29pm, edited 2 times in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
white man wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
F-Punk '79 wrote:Didn't know posters here had daddy issues. Also didn't know about the Mag 7 disc - nice pic! Despite the super clever commentary, I'm still thinking that there are enough CD/RP era oddities laying around to put out a sideways little disc every once in a while, since a full on major release of RP probably isn't ever gonna happen - like they did years ago with BMC (which was sold in record stores). Somebody said something about greedy bastards - so are we pretending sound system never happened? My copy is still on layaway - just five more payments to go!! I don't know or care what Mick does with his time - but I do know what its like to be a clash fan 36-years & counting
Firstly don't take things so seriously mate a sense of humor and being able to take the piss is all par for the course 'round here. I'm 50 years old and I bought White Riot on it's day of release so I've been a long time fan but then again so what if I only heard about them yesterday it's not important.

I still don't know or see how the Black Market Clash 10'' "practically spawned the idea of RSD" can you elaborate further please.

The issue of "greedy bastards" is not one of the group selling stuff via Sony but of others selling stuff at a higher price than it's current retail value. I happily bought the Sound System box even though like most it contained very little of what I didn't already own. If you knew that Sony had only made 100 copies of Sound System (think I bought mine on release for around £85.00 here) but then someone had bought say 75 of them then sold them for twice the price on eBay and that was now your only means of getting a copy you would feel a little less like buying a copy and somewhat cheated. As to what price they originally sell for is down to one's pocket for affordability and of course being fans to feeling that we have to have it 'though no one is twisting your arm.
Wowza. At 12 years old. I'm impressed. I was fifteen and purchase it till late 77.
I was eight and might have considered purchasing it if I'd been aware of its existence, but anyway I think Showaddywaddy were in the charts with Remember Then at the time and I'd blown all my pocket money on that.
So that was you sitting under the moon of love. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
white man wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I was eight and might have considered purchasing it if I'd been aware of its existence, but anyway I think Showaddywaddy were in the charts with Remember Then at the time and I'd blown all my pocket money on that.
Yep that was indeed me. I wish I could have been a Clash fan instead but I didn't got what it takes at the time ;)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
white man wrote:
Marky Dread wrote: Firstly don't take things so seriously mate a sense of humor and being able to take the piss is all par for the course 'round here. I'm 50 years old and I bought White Riot on it's day of release so I've been a long time fan but then again so what if I only heard about them yesterday it's not important.

Yep that was indeed me. I wish I could have been a Clash fan instead but I didn't got what it takes at the time ;)
:lol: This is the stuff. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I was a massive fan of Showaddywaddy at the age of 8, but I loved Darts even more. I fucking loved them and Leo Sayer. I remember singing Silver Lady by David Soul at the top of my voice whilst walking to school, hoping that a talent scout would overhear me and let me into the world of music Before that I can just remember loving music, any music. I'm still not sure why I love music so much, it's such a trivial thing if you analyse it, but when it hits you at the right time, the right place, there is nothing more important in the world.

Yes, I'm pissed.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:I was a massive fan of Showaddywaddy at the age of 8, but I loved Darts even more. I fucking loved them and Leo Sayer. I remember singing Silver Lady by David Soul at the top of my voice whilst walking to school, hoping that a talent scout would overhear me and let me into the world of music Before that I can just remember loving music, any music. I'm still not sure why I love music so much, it's such a trivial thing if you analyse it, but when it hits you at the right time, the right place, there is nothing more important in the world.

Yes, I'm pissed.
Music has a great power it can lift your mood. I can't say that for religion.

I must admit to being fond of a few Darts tracks while Den Heggarty was still in the band.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:I was a massive fan of Showaddywaddy at the age of 8, but I loved Darts even more. I fucking loved them and Leo Sayer. I remember singing Silver Lady by David Soul at the top of my voice whilst walking to school, hoping that a talent scout would overhear me and let me into the world of music Before that I can just remember loving music, any music. I'm still not sure why I love music so much, it's such a trivial thing if you analyse it, but when it hits you at the right time, the right place, there is nothing more important in the world.

Yes, I'm pissed.

I must admit to being fond of a few Darts tracks while Den Heggarty was still in the band.
Showaddywaddy, Darts and Matchbox: that was my Holy Trinity in 78/79. I fucking loved all those guys. One week in 79 I was watching Darts on TOTP, the next week they were playing a gig in my sleepy home town in the middle of boom fuck nowhere and I still got goosebumps thinking about it. Not long after that I was appearing in a quiz segment on a kiddies tv show and Matchbox were in the studio playing Rockabilly Rebel which was pretty fucking awesome. Then a few months later I heard Mag 7 and would have punched anybody in the nose accusing me of ever liking Showaddywaddy let along having been a member of their fan club :rolleyes:

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:

Yes, I'm pissed.

I remember seeing Den Hegarty singing in the Mean Fiddler in London around 10-12 years ago, there were a few guys with him but cant recall whether it was his band or not, kind of acapello/do wop which was great if you like that sort of stuff which i do.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yes, I'm pissed.

Showaddywaddy, Darts and Matchbox: that was my Holy Trinity in 78/79. I fucking loved all those guys. One week in 79 I was watching Darts on TOTP, the next week they were playing a gig in my sleepy home town in the middle of boom fuck nowhere and I still got goosebumps thinking about it. Not long after that I was appearing in a quiz segment on a kiddies tv show and Matchbox were in the studio playing Rockabilly Rebel which was pretty fucking awesome. Then a few months later I heard Mag 7 and would have punched anybody in the nose accusing me of ever liking Showaddywaddy let along having been a member of their fan club :rolleyes:
The problem I had with Showaddywaddy was their lack of authenticity they were too showbiz for me. That said I can remember walking 'round singing the intro to "Pretty Little Angel Eyes".

I still play The Darts version of "The Boy from New York City" and think it's great.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yes, I'm pissed.

I remember seeing Den Hegarty singing in the Mean Fiddler in London around 10-12 years ago, there were a few guys with him but cant recall whether it was his band or not, kind of acapello/do wop which was great if you like that sort of stuff which i do.
A very close friend of mine was telling me about a meal he attended last year with another friend. As he regaled me with his tale of his nice curry night out he started to mention this friend had been in a band but he couldn't remember the bands name. So I kept asking what type of band was it and he said a 50's R'n'R band who had hits in the late 70's so I went through all the names like Mud/Showaddywaddy/The Polecats/Matchbox and hes says nope none of them. Then he mentioned that his friend had met and interviewed The Clash on TV and the penny dropped that it was Den and the band was Darts.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yes, I'm pissed.

A very close friend of mine was telling me about a meal he attended last year with another friend. As he regaled me with his tale of his nice curry night out he started to mention this friend had been in a band but he couldn't remember the bands name. So I kept asking what type of band was it and he said a 50's R'n'R band who had hits in the late 70's so I went through all the names like Mud/Showaddywaddy/The Polecats/Matchbox and hes says nope none of them. Then he mentioned that his friend had met and interviewed The Clash on TV and the penny dropped that it was Den and the band was Darts.
Ah yes....I'd forgotten that and of course Den also appeared on Sandinista!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yes, I'm pissed.

Ah yes....I'd forgotten that and of course Den also appeared on Sandinista!
Indeed. :approve:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

CBS Records in the States came up with a set of indie-oriented 10 inch mini albums to get people into record stores. One was Black Market Clash. I think a Cheap Trick one was called All the Pieces. I don't recall the others and am not motivated to research it. There was some marketing brand name they gave the releases as well.

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:There was some marketing brand name they gave the releases as well.
A "Nu-Disk".
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:CBS Records in the States came up with a set of indie-oriented 10 inch mini albums to get people into record stores. One was Black Market Clash. I think a Cheap Trick one was called All the Pieces. I don't recall the others and am not motivated to research it. There was some marketing brand name they gave the releases as well.
I've still got the 10'' vinyl on Epic/Nu-disk. I fail to see how this inspired RSD anymore than any other promotional format though.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 13 Jul 2015, 3:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia