Rat Patrol From Hell W10

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Rat Patrol From Hell W10

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:Actually the OBF on Mick's master reel, which follows the fifteen tracks meant for the album, is the vocal mix. Presumably he meant it for a B Side or 12". I like Mick's track order, but it's best seen as four album sides rather than a single CD. I like opening with Straight to Hell, as it's the best track on the record. It's a statement of intent, like London Calling or Mag 7, right into their version of Apocalypse Now. I also think that KYR is the biggest improvement in Glyn Johns' mix, though that's more a matter of production than mix. That song and SISOSIG have been reproduced in Combat Rock. It's ironic though that Rock the Casbah was the biggest single, as the track is so similar to Mick's mix and Clearmountain's remix was done with Mick as well.
Thank you for that info Teddy.

Yes the track sequence works better via four album sides. It may be all the years of listening to CR that has impaired my vision of the album. Straight to Hell is the best track on the album but it is a slow building track and does not have the same impact as something like LC or Mag 7 and I always feel it belongs closer to Sean Flynn on the album as to me those two tracks are the ones that capture the feeling of Apocalypse Now the best. I agree on RtC it seems Glyn John's had very little to do with that track except removing the congas intro.

I would love this record to get an official release maybe even a nice double vinyl edition (I can dream). It needs reinstating in the bands catalog as it's so important in understanding the development of the bands sound. The way Mick immersed himself in all that music that was going on around him is really to be admired.

I wonder where the band would've gone sound wise if Mick had remained in the band? It's easy to look to the BAD album and see a natural progression of sorts but there would've been something in between and if only Topper had remained in a fit state. With the band still a fully working unit I can't imagine we'd have got those T.R.A.C. tracks but something a bit more organic sounding.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

It's uncanny how track order (used to?) change the color of an album so much. Inder can attest to how Alex Chilton complained that Big Star's Third/Sister Lovers was misjudged as darker in intent because of the track order that he never agreed to, and how it was meant to open with Thank You Friends. I don't see how that album wasn't dark in any circumstance. Regardless, opening with Straight to Hell versus Know Your Rights would make a distinct difference. KYR seems to suggest that it's going to be something of a rocking Clash album, though it's on even fewer chords than Radio Clash. Straight to Hell as an opener would have made it clear from the start. We're not rocking much and, when we do, it's going to be joking a bit like the original SISOSIG.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:It's uncanny how track order (used to?) change the color of an album so much. Inder can attest to how Alex Chilton complained that Big Star's Third/Sister Lovers was misjudged as darker in intent because of the track order that he never agreed to, and how it was meant to open with Thank You Friends. I don't see how that album wasn't dark in any circumstance. Regardless, opening with Straight to Hell versus Know Your Rights would make a distinct difference. KYR seems to suggest that it's going to be something of a rocking Clash album, though it's on even fewer chords than Radio Clash. Straight to Hell as an opener would have made it clear from the start. We're not rocking much and, when we do, it's going to be joking a bit like the original SISOSIG.
Maybe you have a good point with judging the album on it's opening track. It sure would've been brave to open the album with a slow burning brooding 7 min epic. However that's where the albums only flaw lays for me in the fact that it's very serious one minute and then hey it's party time. Although SISOSIG really has a serious side on a personal level.

I think KYR rights works better as an opener with Car Jamming following than STH followed by KYR and then yet another single track RtC following that. Looking at the proposed 4 sides of vinyl this leaves Side D looking week in fact I would replace Side D with Side B and have Sean Flyn as the albums closer.

I would've gone with 16 tracks and this would've been my favored track list.

Side A :
1. Know Your Rights
2. Car Jamming
3. Atom Tan
4. Red Angel Dragnet

Side B :
1. Should I Stay Or Should I Go?
2. Idle in Kangaroo Court
3. Overpowered By Funk
4. First Night Back in London

Side C :
1. Rock the Casbah
2. Cool Confusion (7'' remix)
3. The Beautiful People Are Ugly Too
4. Death is a Star

Side D :
1. Straight to Hell
2. Ghetto Defendant
3. Inoculated City
4. Sean Flynn

It was a crime that "This is Radio Clash" was not on the album.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 12 Jun 2015, 6:22am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:It's uncanny how track order (used to?) change the color of an album so much. Inder can attest to how Alex Chilton complained that Big Star's Third/Sister Lovers was misjudged as darker in intent because of the track order that he never agreed to, and how it was meant to open with Thank You Friends. I don't see how that album wasn't dark in any circumstance. Regardless, opening with Straight to Hell versus Know Your Rights would make a distinct difference. KYR seems to suggest that it's going to be something of a rocking Clash album, though it's on even fewer chords than Radio Clash. Straight to Hell as an opener would have made it clear from the start. We're not rocking much and, when we do, it's going to be joking a bit like the original SISOSIG.
Maybe you have a good point with judging the album on it's opening track. It sure would've been brave to open the album with a slow burning brooding 7 min epic. However that's where the albums only flaw lays for me in the fact that it's very serious one minute and then hey it's party time. Although SISOSIG really has a serious side on a personal level.

I think KYR rights works better as an opener with Car Jamming following than STH followed by KYR and then yet another single track RtC following that. Looking at the proposed 4 sides of vinyl this leaves Side D looking week in fact I would replace Side D with Side B and have Sean Flyn as the albums closer.

Side A :
1. Know Your Rights
2. Car Jamming
3. Atom Tan
4. Red Angel Dragnet

Side B :
3. Overpowered By Funk

Side C :
1. Rock the Casbah
4. Death is a Star

Side D :
1. Straight to Hell
2. Ghetto Defendant
3. Inoculated City
4. Sean Flynn
I really like that, only I would have StH much more forward, end of Side A and maybe move Atom Tan to D.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Side A :
1. Know Your Rights
2. Car Jamming
3. Atom Tan
4. Red Angel Dragnet

Side B :
3. Overpowered By Funk

Side C :
1. Rock the Casbah
4. Death is a Star

Side D :
1. Straight to Hell
2. Ghetto Defendant
3. Inoculated City
4. Sean Flynn
I really like that, only I would have StH much more forward, end of Side A and maybe move Atom Tan to D.
I only have it that way because I feel StH and SF are linked and I like the close proximity. But hey it's all good. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Side A :
1. Know Your Rights
2. Car Jamming
3. Atom Tan
4. Red Angel Dragnet

Side B :
3. Overpowered By Funk

Side C :
1. Rock the Casbah
4. Death is a Star

Side D :
1. Straight to Hell
2. Ghetto Defendant
3. Inoculated City
4. Sean Flynn
I only have it that way because I feel StH and SF are linked and I like the close proximity. But hey it's all good. ;)
Absolutely and I also agree KYR is by far the most plausible opener. Not the best song by any means, but it's got that solid chopped chord intro which lends it nice dramatic effect and is more in line with previous album openers than most of the other tracks.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Side A :
1. Know Your Rights
2. Car Jamming
3. Atom Tan
4. Red Angel Dragnet

Side B :
3. Overpowered By Funk

Side C :
1. Rock the Casbah
4. Death is a Star

Side D :
1. Straight to Hell
2. Ghetto Defendant
3. Inoculated City
4. Sean Flynn
Absolutely and I also agree KYR is by far the most plausible opener. Not the best song by any means, but it's got that solid chopped chord intro which lends it nice dramatic effect and is more in line with previous album openers than most of the other tracks.
That's kinda my feeling towards KYR also. It's sets out a statement of intent that rockabilly beat and that "This is a public service announcement With guitar" opening line telling you right from the off you have no real rights.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Sequencing does matter. I've always said one of the biggest turnoffs of Sandinista is putting Hitsville so early in. It affected my listening experience.

And while there is no way CTC would ever be a "good" album, starting it with Dictator is perverse on every level.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:Sequencing does matter. I've always said one of the biggest turnoffs of Sandinista is putting Hitsville so early in. It affected my listening experience.

And while there is no way CTC would ever be a "good" album, starting it with Dictator is perverse on every level.
The early placement of BNC and especially Jimmy Jazz still jars with me on London Calling.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Wolter wrote:Sequencing does matter. I've always said one of the biggest turnoffs of Sandinista is putting Hitsville so early in. It affected my listening experience.

The early placement of BNC and especially Jimmy Jazz still jars with me on London Calling.
Wolts right about CtC but LC is perfect just the way it is. That frenetic cover of BNC just fucking rocks.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I don't think any studio version of KYR comes close to the best live versions. Neither Mick nor Johns got that one right.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Marky, I think your Side D is too much the entire meat of the record. I get your complaint about the tone changes through Mick's sequence, but this is like we went into a different movie, A better one, mind you. I also get the point of opening with KYR, with its opening pronouncement and chopping chords. That's why they chose to do it.

I think that it was no accident that BNC and Jimmy Jazz were up early on London Calling. They were emphasizing the nods to older music rather than sneaking them in later.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:I don't think any studio version of KYR comes close to the best live versions. Neither Mick nor Johns got that one right.
Yeah, the FHTE version is much tastier than any of the hackneyed studio versions.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:Marky, I think your Side D is too much the entire meat of the record. I get your complaint about the tone changes through Mick's sequence, but this is like we went into a different movie, A better one, mind you. I also get the point of opening with KYR, with its opening pronouncement and chopping chords. That's why they chose to do it.

I think that it was no accident that BNC and Jimmy Jazz were up early on London Calling. They were emphasizing the nods to older music rather than sneaking them in later.
I guess I'm a "leave the best 'til last" kinda guy.

The tone of that Side D all compliment each other. I wish the whole album was in that "Vietnam" vein. "Car Jamming" should really follow Side D with it's lyrics of "Boots blown off in a sixties war, Riding aluminum crutches, Now he knows the welfare kindness n' Agent Orange color blindness".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:Marky, I think your Side D is too much the entire meat of the record. I get your complaint about the tone changes through Mick's sequence, but this is like we went into a different movie, A better one, mind you. I also get the point of opening with KYR, with its opening pronouncement and chopping chords. That's why they chose to do it.

One thing we have to remember: Heston is criminally insane and doesn't like Brand New Cadillac.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"