All The Peacemakers

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
drugstabbingmime
Corner Soul

Re: All The Peacemakers

Post by drugstabbingmime »

Rats! I missed it! Is there any chance i could still get my hands on it or last testament? :kiss: :meh:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

drugstabbingmime wrote:Rats! I missed it! Is there any chance i could still get my hands on it or last testament? :kiss: :meh:
Last edited by Marky Dread on 19 Nov 2016, 10:31am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

drugstabbingmime
Corner Soul

Post by drugstabbingmime »

Thank you so much! This is brilliant!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

drugstabbingmime wrote:Thank you so much! This is brilliant!
Thanks mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Bump, to remind me to post my late-to-the-party thoughts on this project.

Marky - you say you didn't use the 2013 remasters for this and your other recent projects? So, the '99 Bill Price remasters then? Or the first CBS CD's? (LC is obviously your remixed stems).

And the demos sound terrific, much better than the usual. Even "Israelites" sounds better.
(I had tried to talk Sonny Burnit into doing his thang on it - maybe even a weird ass remix; he seemed to think it just might be crazy enough of an idea to attempt! But I'm plenty happy with your fairy dust mix, mate. Actually listenable now).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:Bump, to remind me to post my late-to-the-party thoughts on this project.

Marky - you say you didn't use the 2013 remasters for this and your other recent projects? So, the '99 Bill Price remasters then? Or the first CBS CD's? (LC is obviously your remixed stems).

And the demos sound terrific, much better than the usual. Even "Israelites" sounds better.
(I had tried to talk Sonny Burnit into doing his thang on it - maybe even a weird ass remix; he seemed to think it just might be crazy enough of an idea to attempt! But I'm plenty happy with your fairy dust mix, mate. Actually listenable now).
Nothing from SS box used on the remasters (except for the odd out-take like the Marcus Music version of Sean Flynn) as those tracks were altready remixed and fairly maxed to the top level. The '99 remasters don't sound that great in my opinion.

The only thing I'll add here is the two versions of "Heartbreak Hotel" are not The Clash but 101ers tracks from a basement rehearsal in December '75. I've no idea why they are listed as Clash songs and maybe Joe re-did a version for the " Grutzi Elvis Soundtrack" that was never used ( I doubt it) or maybe Joe just gave Diego Cortez the two 101ers rehearsals.

Keth Topping in his book The Complete Clash says this : In late 1977 Strummer was asked to do some soundtrack work for a low budget German arthouse movie, Diego Cortez's Grutzi Elvis. His contributions were two versions of Presley's 'Heartbreak Hotel' , a song that had previously featured in The 101ers set. One had a cajun-style backing of German session musicians. The other, described as a 'terrorist-style recording', is rummoured to be a Clash out-take from the sessions that produced Clash City Rockers.

Now I don't know about 'a cajun-style backing' but the second version we have is definitely 'a terrorist-style recording' just listen to the lyrics about making a bomb and blowing up his friends.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:Nothing from SS box used on the remasters (except for the odd out-take like the Marcus Music version of Sean Flynn) as those tracks were altready remixed and fairly maxed to the top level. The '99 remasters don't sound that great in my opinion.
So what versions did you use as source material for your remasters?

'Sandinista!' sounds brilliant - the bass (not very punchy on the original mix) sounds fantastic, along with Toppers' kick and toms. And the new track order is inspired and makes perfect sense, especially having each side start with a theme and ending with a coda version.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:Nothing from SS box used on the remasters (except for the odd out-take like the Marcus Music version of Sean Flynn) as those tracks were altready remixed and fairly maxed to the top level. The '99 remasters don't sound that great in my opinion.

'Sandinista!' sounds brilliant - the bass (not very punchy on the original mix) sounds fantastic, along with Toppers' kick and toms. And the new track order is inspired and makes perfect sense, especially having each side start with a theme and ending with a coda version.
Just the first batch of CD's. Some were taken from Jap imports which have slighty better sound. But I still remixed everything I could manage to. I did about three different mixes of each track it was a labour of love and I spent a lot of time on it. Scrapping loads of mixes 'til I was content, I think it took me 20 plus attempts to get those GEER demos sounding better.

The first batch of CD's have much better sound than the '99 remasters. I know loads of people who bought those and got rid of them.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Just the first batch of CD's. Some were taken from Jap imports which have slighty better sound. But I still remixed everything I could manage to. I did about three different mixes of each track it was a labour of love and I spent a lot of time on it. Scrapping loads of mixes 'til I was content, I think it took me 20 plus attempts to get those GEER demos sounding better.

The first batch of CD's have much better sound than the '99 remasters. I know loads of people who bought those and got rid of them.
Yeah, I actually liked the '99 remasters - I liked the fullness of the sound which the original (US) CDs lacked: I thought they were very brittle, all highs and chintzy sounding low end, poor mid-range. (it's remarkable what you've done with these mate; never heard any of the Japanese versions though).

I remember buying all the '99 remasters the day they were released (and got the bonus interview disc with the hidden Paris '78 Police and Thieves/Blitzkrieg Bop), and gave my then girlfriend my whole previous Clash CD collection (and a bunch of roses) on Valentines Day. She was a goth/post-punk chick and didn't actually have any Clash in her collection (or much trad punk/rock n' roll period). She was over the moon with my "generosity" (not realizing I'd just bought all the new remasters). You best believe we made sweet love that night! :approve:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Yeah, I actually liked the '99 remasters - I liked the fullness of the sound which the original (US) CDs lacked: I thought they were very brittle, all highs and chintzy sounding low end, poor mid-range. (it's remarkable what you've done with these mate; never heard any of the Japanese versions though).

I remember buying all the '99 remasters the day they were released (and got the bonus interview disc with the hidden Paris '78 Police and Thieves/Blitzkrieg Bop), and gave my then girlfriend my whole previous Clash CD collection (and a bunch of roses) on Valentines Day. She was a goth/post-punk chick and didn't actually have any Clash in her collection (or much trad punk/rock n' roll period). She was over the moon with my "generosity" (not realizing I'd just bought all the new remasters). You best believe we made sweet love that night! :approve:
Lover's rock.

The '99 remasters may sound better (different) than the original versions but they are for radio play. They are not fully brickwalled but they are not far off. I liked them at first but when comparing "The Story of The Clash" and the COB sets the sound on the originals are far better. The SS box set is mastered far far better than those '99 versions. The only CD that really sounded strange to my ears was the first album. I have 4 different verions of that first album on CD. My original mix often called "The Marky Mix" here just had the bass elevated and reverb added but I was never really satisfied even though people tended to like it a fair bit. I think the reverb was too much so my most recent version "Guttersnipes from Garageland" has a little less reverb and a touch more bass and the background sounds brought forward ever so slightly. I think it sounds more natural now.

Now let's have all the stems for the albums other than LC and we can really play. My dream is to have a play with the S! stems.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 24 Nov 2016, 7:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

I like the Sound System CD's best. They might be just a bit loud, but the transfers are so much better than the previous.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:I like the Sound System CD's best. They might be just a bit loud, but the transfers are so much better than the previous.
I endorse this message. The only issue is that those black CD's don't play on all players.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:I like the Sound System CD's best. They might be just a bit loud, but the transfers are so much better than the previous.
I endorse this message. The only issue is that those black CD's don't play on all players.
Racist! ;)
Last edited by Marky Dread on 24 Nov 2016, 7:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Agreed, and this is key.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia