My next project...

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 2407
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: My next project...

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:Apparently Hugh Cornwell was making a record and The Clash just happened to be in the vicinity and this was the result, a new one on me I have to admit. Do like the Ian Dury one a lot, will have to check out the rest of the album.

Toppers Boppers already mentioned that on page 2 of this thread mate.
Ah, so he did! Doesn't sound very Clashy mind, but kind of catchy all the same.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47311
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: My next project...

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:Apparently Hugh Cornwell was making a record and The Clash just happened to be in the vicinity and this was the result, a new one on me I have to admit. Do like the Ian Dury one a lot, will have to check out the rest of the album.

Toppers Boppers already mentioned that on page 2 of this thread mate.
Ah, so he did! Doesn't sound very Clashy mind, but kind of catchy all the same.
I have the album and like at least half of it.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 2407
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: My next project...

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:Apparently Hugh Cornwell was making a record and The Clash just happened to be in the vicinity and this was the result, a new one on me I have to admit. Do like the Ian Dury one a lot, will have to check out the rest of the album.

Toppers Boppers already mentioned that on page 2 of this thread mate.
Ah, so he did! Doesn't sound very Clashy mind, but kind of catchy all the same.
I have the album and like at least half of it.
I don't know why I haven't clocked it before to be honest. Hugh can do some interesting things. I saw him play in the early 90s as part of a three-piece. Can't remember the third guy, but one of them was Roger Whittaker. An odd combination, but it definitely worked.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47311
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: My next project...

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:Apparently Hugh Cornwell was making a record and The Clash just happened to be in the vicinity and this was the result, a new one on me I have to admit. Do like the Ian Dury one a lot, will have to check out the rest of the album.

Toppers Boppers already mentioned that on page 2 of this thread mate.
Ah, so he did! Doesn't sound very Clashy mind, but kind of catchy all the same.
I have the album and like at least half of it.
I don't know why I haven't clocked it before to be honest. Hugh can do some interesting things. I saw him play in the early 90s as part of a three-piece. Can't remember the third guy, but one of them was Roger Whittaker. An odd combination, but it definitely worked.
I'm pretty sure you mean Roger Cook who was in Blue Mink. The band was called CCW Hugh Cornwell/Roger Cook/Andy West.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47311
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: My next project...

Post by Marky Dread »

This project is on hold until I can find out just what tracks Mick played on for Ian Hunters Short Back 'n' Sides. Muppet gave some info and I'm hoping Teddy B can clarify.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Low Down Low
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 2407
Joined: 21 Aug 2014, 9:08am

Re: My next project...

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Toppers Boppers already mentioned that on page 2 of this thread mate.
Ah, so he did! Doesn't sound very Clashy mind, but kind of catchy all the same.
I have the album and like at least half of it.
I don't know why I haven't clocked it before to be honest. Hugh can do some interesting things. I saw him play in the early 90s as part of a three-piece. Can't remember the third guy, but one of them was Roger Whittaker. An odd combination, but it definitely worked.
I'm pretty sure you mean Roger Cook who was in Blue Mink. The band was called CCW Hugh Cornwell/Roger Cook/Andy West.
You know what, being the half-senile old git I am, I did mean Whittaker. I saw them quite by accident in the Mean Fiddler, early 90s sometime, and enjoyed the gig but somewhere over the years the idea that it was Whittaker and not Cook seeped into my mind and took root. Fuck knows why :rolleyes:

Toppers Boppers
User avatar
Junco Partner
Posts: 399
Joined: 18 Nov 2009, 5:52am
Location: Gates Of The West (country)

Re: My next project...

Post by Toppers Boppers »

Did anyone dig this up, Marky? It's an un-released track called Once You Know, Tymon Dogg recorded it with The Clash around the time they were making Combat Rock. First time I've ever heard it.

'On the tenterhooks of a Cincinnati.'

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47311
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: My next project...

Post by Marky Dread »

Toppers Boppers wrote:Did anyone dig this up, Marky? It's an un-released track called Once You Know, Tymon Dogg recorded it with The Clash around the time they were making Combat Rock. First time I've ever heard it.

Yes mate I included it on the Rat Patrol from Hell W10 comp I made earlier in the year, It's a beautiful haunting song which seems so much more poignant with Joe's passing. A real gem.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

TeddyB Not Logged In
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1779
Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 8:42pm

Re: My next project...

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:Calling TeddyB / Muppet Hi-Fi,

Does Mick play on the whole of Ian Hunter's Short Back n' Sides? I got the two disc cd set but the sleeve notes don't help much. I know he produces with Ronno but I want to know what tracks he actually plays on.

I think maybe these...

Central Park n' West
Lisa Likes Rock n' Roll
Old Records Never Die
Noises
Rain
Theatre Of the Absurd (Brixton Power) / Theatre Of the Absurd (Brixton Power) [Alt. Mix]
OK, in my view (obviously Teddy will have greater insight), these are the tracks Mick J plays/sings on:

Central Park N' West (guitar, possible BVs, production, Topper)
Lisa Likes Rock N' Roll (guitar, BVs, production, Topper)
I Need Your Love (BVs)
Old Records Never Die
Noises (production, Topper)
Rain (guitar, production)
Gun Control
Theatre Of The Absurd (guitar, BVs, production)
Leave Me Alone (guitar, BVs, production, Topper)
Keep On Burnin'

second disc i'm not sure, but suspect he's not on any other than the alt take of Theatre of the Absurd/Brixton Power.
Yeah, this is a hard one. I think MJ is actually on some of the tracks on the outtakes CD but don't know which. I agree with most of your choices above except these comments:

I Need Your Love: Yes, Mick is singing bg's.
Old Records Never Die. I don't hear Mick except as producer. Main guitar is Ronno. Ellen singing backgrounds.
Rain: I don't necessarily hear Mick. Could be Tommy Morrongiello or even Ian on rhythm guitar. Not sure.
Noises: Topper definitely. Mick may be on Roland guitar synth.
Gun Control. Mick cut it originally but the album version remake is all Todd Rundgren's band.
Leave Me Alone: Muppet is right. Mick's on this playing and singing, as is Topper.
Keep on Burnin' could just be Tommy Morongiello on guitar.

I'll try and have a listen to the Long Odds CD.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47311
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: My next project...

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:Calling TeddyB / Muppet Hi-Fi,

Does Mick play on the whole of Ian Hunter's Short Back n' Sides? I got the two disc cd set but the sleeve notes don't help much. I know he produces with Ronno but I want to know what tracks he actually plays on.

I think maybe these...

Central Park n' West
Lisa Likes Rock n' Roll
Old Records Never Die
Noises
Rain
Theatre Of the Absurd (Brixton Power) / Theatre Of the Absurd (Brixton Power) [Alt. Mix]
OK, in my view (obviously Teddy will have greater insight), these are the tracks Mick J plays/sings on:

Central Park N' West (guitar, possible BVs, production, Topper)
Lisa Likes Rock N' Roll (guitar, BVs, production, Topper)
I Need Your Love (BVs)
Old Records Never Die
Noises (production, Topper)
Rain (guitar, production)
Gun Control
Theatre Of The Absurd (guitar, BVs, production)
Leave Me Alone (guitar, BVs, production, Topper)
Keep On Burnin'

second disc i'm not sure, but suspect he's not on any other than the alt take of Theatre of the Absurd/Brixton Power.
Yeah, this is a hard one. I think MJ is actually on some of the tracks on the outtakes CD but don't know which. I agree with most of your choices above except these comments:

I Need Your Love: Yes, Mick is singing bg's.
Old Records Never Die. I don't hear Mick except as producer. Main guitar is Ronno. Ellen singing backgrounds.
Rain: I don't necessarily hear Mick. Could be Tommy Morrongiello or even Ian on rhythm guitar. Not sure.
Noises: Topper definitely. Mick may be on Roland guitar synth.
Gun Control. Mick cut it originally but the album version remake is all Todd Rundgren's band.
Leave Me Alone: Muppet is right. Mick's on this playing and singing, as is Topper.
Keep on Burnin' could just be Tommy Morongiello on guitar.

I'll try and have a listen to the Long Odds CD.
Thanks Teddy if you compile a list of what tracks you feel Mick is on then I'll use your choices for the comp. Appreciated.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

TeddyB Not Logged In
User avatar
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 1779
Joined: 06 Feb 2009, 8:42pm

Re: My next project...

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Sure. What about Topper?

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47311
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: My next project...

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:Sure. What about Topper?
Sorry for the delay, yes to both please if you could list which tracks they play on together or separately that would be a massive help.

Gun Control was my favorite for years on that album and it was the track that sounded most Clash like to me. So big surprise that's the track they don't play on.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

gkbill
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer
Posts: 2142
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 9:21pm

Re: My next project...

Post by gkbill »

Marky Dread wrote:
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:Sure. What about Topper?
Sorry for the delay, yes to both please if you could list which tracks they play on together or separately that would be a massive help.

Gun Control was my favorite for years on that album and it was the track that sounded most Clash like to me. So big surprise that's the track they don't play on.
Hello,

I always liked Ian Hunter. I saw him a few times, he was always a good show (he played in Glens Falls, NY opening for the Kinks - I couldn't speak for a few days after that one from all the singing along), and his recorded stuff was good. He answers email from anyone on his site Short Back and Sides and Welcome to the Club are favorites.

Gun Control does sound like a Clash song but lacks the edge/roughness the Clash might've put into it. Theatre of the Absurd always struck me as having some Mick in it with the synthetic percussion noises that sound like the stuff in live versions of Radio Clash.

I don't know as much as others in this thread so I'll just throw it out there for what it's worth.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 47311
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: My next project...

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:Sure. What about Topper?
Sorry for the delay, yes to both please if you could list which tracks they play on together or separately that would be a massive help.

Gun Control was my favorite for years on that album and it was the track that sounded most Clash like to me. So big surprise that's the track they don't play on.
Hello,

I always liked Ian Hunter. I saw him a few times, he was always a good show (he played in Glens Falls, NY opening for the Kinks - I couldn't speak for a few days after that one from all the singing along), and his recorded stuff was good. He answers email from anyone on his site Short Back and Sides and Welcome to the Club are favorites.

Gun Control does sound like a Clash song but lacks the edge/roughness the Clash might've put into it. Theatre of the Absurd always struck me as having some Mick in it with the synthetic percussion noises that sound like the stuff in live versions of Radio Clash.

I don't know as much as others in this thread so I'll just throw it out there for what it's worth.
Sure you can hear Mick on the tracks as you can on Sandinista! I just felt Gun Control was more Clash like in subject matter. As to Ian Hunter I think he's brilliant.
Image

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

Chuck Mangione
User avatar
Spitting Image
Posts: 6714
Joined: 17 Jun 2009, 10:45pm
Location: Up your boulevard.

Re: My next project...

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Just discovered this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Hutchence_(album)

With Strummer vocals on track 1.

Post Reply