Clash II Book: Mohawk Info Needed

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Clash II Book: Mohawk Info Needed

Post by Chairman Ralph »

It's been awhile since I've touched on this topic, but Mark and I are looking for help with a bit of info -- apparently, Kosmo mentioned a guy who got fired from Rolls Royce for having a Mohawk, which led to the band visiting with him. (and, so the story goes, Joe allegedly getting his Mohawk done in solidarity with him).

I vaguely recall the NME running something along those lines, on the back pages, where the TZers and other gossip items ran -- does this clipping exist, and does anybody out there have a copy?

IIRC, it ran right as the Feb/March UK '84 tour started. For all I know, it could be the back pages of the NME cover story (2/25/84), but I can't be certain -- I have that clipping, but nothing else from that issue, so my memory could be going haywire there. :mrgreen:

Anyway, any help on this point would be appreciated.

As far as the progress report goes, you can just go right here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/19 ... d-that-mat

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: Clash II Book: Mohawk Info Needed

Post by laxman »

I'll have a look. Were the Clash on the cover of the 25 Feb 84 issue?

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Yeah, it's the one with Joe and Paul doing that weird mutual arm wrestling stance on the cover. Let me know what you find! Thanks!

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
Yeah, it's the one with Joe and Paul doing that weird mutual arm wrestling stance on the cover. Let me know what you find! Thanks!

Unfortunately I haven't found it, even though that cover rings a bell. I have found a Clash II interview that I will scan in, in case it is useful to you.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Chairman Ralph wrote:

Unfortunately I haven't found it, even though that cover rings a bell. I have found a Clash II interview that I will scan in, in case it is useful to you.
Is there a library in your area that has NME on microlfim? That might be an option, one that I'll check on in my neck of the woods, as well. Thanks for your efforts, and yes, I'd like to see that particular interview.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 9023&hl=en

Bristol, England (AP)
An 18-year-old punk rocker, fired by Rolls Royce on grounds that the four-inch spikes of his hairdo endangered thes eyes of his co-workers, lost an appeal against the decision on Tuesday.
Peter Mortiboy, whose unusual dress includes 18 earrings, a studded dog collar, steel armlets and a stud through his nose, was repeatedly warned by Rolls that his appearance was not up to company standards, an industrial tribunal in this west coast port was told.
The luxury car maker dismissed him from the Rolls Royce Technical College and his £120-a-week job as an apprentice technician when he began sporting spikes last June, training manager Howard Parry testified.
"His hairstyle represented a safety hazard," Parry said. "The spikes projected from the surface of his head for some distance and an accidental movement could have injured a supervisor learning aover him."
Mortiboy, who said he used industrial adhesive and glue to mould his black hair into stiff, vertical spikes, denied that the spikes are dangerous.
"They would be if they were three feet long," he said. "I mix with people all the time in crowded nightclubs and I have never injured anyone," he said. "I did not cut them off because I am not happy unless I look the way I want to look .... The only trouble I have is sleeping. I have to lie on my stomatch."

In December 1983 Bristol, UK punk rocker Peter Mortiboys was sacked from his job as an apprentice at Rolls Royce car manufacturers. Reason being because his employees in their infinite wisdom saw his spikey hair as a threat to the safety of his fellow employees (snigger). His story was given national exposure by the UK Press and was was seen by Clash minder and PR stunt co-ordinator Kosmos Vinyl. Vinyl didn't get him his job back but he offered him a bassplayers slot in a London punk band?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Wow, thanks, Marky -- as the saying goes, you are a gentleman....and a scholar. :mrgreen:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Chairman Ralph wrote:Wow, thanks, Marky -- as the saying goes, you are a gentleman....and a scholar. :mrgreen:
:cool:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... 9023&hl=en

Bristol, England (AP)
An 18-year-old punk rocker, fired by Rolls Royce on grounds that the four-inch spikes of his hairdo endangered thes eyes of his co-workers, lost an appeal against the decision on Tuesday.
Peter Mortiboy, whose unusual dress includes 18 earrings, a studded dog collar, steel armlets and a stud through his nose, was repeatedly warned by Rolls that his appearance was not up to company standards, an industrial tribunal in this west coast port was told.
The luxury car maker dismissed him from the Rolls Royce Technical College and his £120-a-week job as an apprentice technician when he began sporting spikes last June, training manager Howard Parry testified.
"His hairstyle represented a safety hazard," Parry said. "The spikes projected from the surface of his head for some distance and an accidental movement could have injured a supervisor learning aover him."
Mortiboy, who said he used industrial adhesive and glue to mould his black hair into stiff, vertical spikes, denied that the spikes are dangerous.
"They would be if they were three feet long," he said. "I mix with people all the time in crowded nightclubs and I have never injured anyone," he said. "I did not cut them off because I am not happy unless I look the way I want to look .... The only trouble I have is sleeping. I have to lie on my stomatch."

In December 1983 Bristol, UK punk rocker Peter Mortiboys was sacked from his job as an apprentice at Rolls Royce car manufacturers. Reason being because his employees in their infinite wisdom saw his spikey hair as a threat to the safety of his fellow employees (snigger). His story was given national exposure by the UK Press and was was seen by Clash minder and PR stunt co-ordinator Kosmos Vinyl. Vinyl didn't get him his job back but he offered him a bassplayers slot in a London punk band?
Wonder what he looks like now.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote: Wonder what he looks like now.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote: Wonder what he looks like now.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Argh! Kill it! Kill it now and often!
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Knight150
Corner Soul

Post by Knight150 »

Seen this before always wanted to say something but now I have some sad news.

Peter Mortiboy went on to be an engineer, a keen diver but always a rebel.

He died around the 12th of September 20 age 55.

Rest in peace my friend you will be missed.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Knight150 wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 1:12pm

Sad news indeed. R.I.P.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

KCportland
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by KCportland »

Marky Dread wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 1:34pm
Knight150 wrote:
18 Sep 2020, 1:12pm

Sad news indeed. R.I.P.
A secret punk icon. R. I. P. indeed. Mohawk Revenge forever