Marky Dread Remasters

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Inder
corecore vanguard

Re: Marky Dread Remasters

Post by Inder »

Great stuff, Marky. Also love that interview at the end.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Inder wrote:
06 Mar 2020, 3:22pm
Yeah, I don't think I'd heard that before.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
06 Mar 2020, 1:05pm
matedog wrote:
06 Mar 2020, 12:48pm
Heston wrote:
06 Mar 2020, 12:06pm
I analysed the tracks last night with a precision tuned guitar and came to the conclusion most of the tracks were sped up but to varying degrees. I don't think the whole album was sped up at the same rate, it varies from track to track.
That was the sure fire way to confirm. My ears aren't that sharp, so I can't tell things being off less than a half step. Sounds like a lot of stuff was sped up less than TIE.

Marky, I believe you just went by your ear to what sounded "natural"? There's perhaps a scientific way to adjust everything so they match tonally perfectly with what they should be. That's assuming the original tunings were perfect and I don't know if that's a safe assumption. Someone with a better sense of guitar/bass tunings in recordings would have to opine.
I would assume the original tunings were perfect if they were using synths and stuff. Most of the Clash's previous discography is bang in tune apart from a slight varispeed here and there. I know Death Or Glory must have had a little varispeed added as it is not in concert pitch. Joe isn't chipmunky though, so it was probably done before the vocal was recorded.
Yep all by ear and not a scientific process by any means. But I've got a good ear. ;)

Seriously though once I realised the whole album was varispeeded up and not just TIE it wasn't that difficult to hear the correct pitch of Joe's vocal. I guess I'm happy with what I consider to be close enough. Especially as were never likely to hear the master recording which I suspect to be also sped up.

One of the easy ways to hear the correct speed/pitch is to listen to the samples for example the young girls voice selling face flannels and tea towels at the start of TIE always felt really odd to me even on first hearing. And those radio voices on Dictator were always too fast.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 06 Mar 2020, 3:39pm, edited 3 times in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
06 Mar 2020, 3:34pm
Inder wrote:
06 Mar 2020, 3:22pm
Yeah, I don't think I'd heard that before.
Thanks Inder.

The interview is from the extras on the DVD/film "I Need A Dodge". I just thought it would be nice as an extra on this package but not list it.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

I admire your great passion, I love your excellent artwork but in this case it was necessary to transform water into wine and without the original multitracks it is impossible. Yes it sure looks better now, but varispeed or not varispeed, Cut the Crap always remains a "B-movie". The last two tracks are the best things, thanks for everything. :scared:
Music is the only thing that matters

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Red Angel wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 6:44am
I admire your great passion, I love your excellent artwork but in this case it was necessary to transform water into wine and without the original multitracks it is impossible. Yes it sure looks better now, but varispeed or not varispeed, Cut the Crap always remains a "B-movie". The last two tracks are the best things, thanks for everything. :scared:
Well it's better to have it corrected speed wise. As to the material you either like it or you don't. Everyone has there own taste or lack off taste. It's also only a download so no one here is wasting any money. Just my time and effort to be appreciated if you like.

Personally it's not as bad as some make out. It'll never be The Clash but it exists and it is what it is. I find it a bit sad that those songs never stood a chance with synths and drum machines and some of the worst samples ever committed to vinyl.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Honestly I was undecided whether to give my impression .... but this is :rolleyes:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Red Angel wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 10:50am
Honestly I was undecided whether to give my impression .... but this is :rolleyes:
Surely you had heard it before now?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

OK it was better not to comment. I like to express my opinion and I don't like to argue. Good evening. :rolleyes:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Red Angel wrote:
07 Mar 2020, 1:30pm
OK it was better not to comment. I like to express my opinion and I don't like to argue. Good evening. :rolleyes:
I'm baffled mate. What are you on about? What argument? Did I miss something?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Thanks for your efforts once again Marky. I'll give it a listen. To be honest, I can't ever remember listening to this album digitally.
I got the vinyl as a xmas present in 85 off the first wife and think I only played it once. I only really know the songs from a few 84/85 boots. Good evening ;)

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

white man wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 5:20am
Thanks for your efforts once again Marky. I'll give it a listen. To be honest, I can't ever remember listening to this album digitally.
I got the vinyl as a xmas present in 85 off the first wife and think I only played it once. I only really know the songs from a few 84/85 boots. Good evening ;)
Good evening to you. :mrgreen:

The whole point of this was to correct Joe's vocals. Can't improve on the songs themselves as they are what they are. Good morning.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Marky Dread wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 5:28am
white man wrote:

The whole point of this was to correct Joe's vocals. Can't improve on the songs themselves as they are what they are. Good morning.
Agreed. Good afternoon

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
white man wrote:

I don't like most of the album, and the songs I do think are half decent weren't best served on the release. I have enjoyed listening to this at a speed that now seems correct, I always thought Joe didn't sound right but never realised why. As for most of the songs, I agree that you can't improve on what they are, but you've helped me hear them differently. Oh, and good afternoon Marky.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

dave202 wrote:
08 Mar 2020, 11:42am
Marky Dread wrote:
white man wrote:

I don't like most of the album, and the songs I do think are half decent weren't best served on the release. I have enjoyed listening to this at a speed that now seems correct, I always thought Joe didn't sound right but never realised why. As for most of the songs, I agree that you can't improve on what they are, but you've helped me hear them differently. Oh, and good afternoon Marky.
Cheers Dave. I wish "In the Pouring Rain" and "Jericho"(Ammunition) had made the cut instead of "We Are The Clash" and "Play to Win". Some of the choices of songs from what they had is plain nuts.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia