Marky Dread Remasters

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Marky Dread Remasters

Post by white man »

Thanks a lot Marky. Nice to have a digital copy. I have a couple of CD's in the loft somewhere. Was this the largest ever audience they had played in front of ?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

white man wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 1:15am
Thanks a lot Marky. Nice to have a digital copy. I have a couple of CD's in the loft somewhere. Was this the largest ever audience they had played in front of ?
I reckon only Victoria Park in 1978 would come close, but no official figure on that one.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

dpwolf wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 5:30pm
Marky Dread -

I've been absent from this page for a looong time, just finding this and am overwhelmed by all your effort and fine work.

Thank you thank you thanks so very much. It's like listening to these shows for the first time again. It is most appreciated.

Cheers

Roz Babo
Thanks mate this make it all worthwhile.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 3:44am
white man wrote:
I reckon only Victoria Park in 1978 would come close, but no official figure on that one.
I was at Victoria Park in 1978. But I forgot to do a head count. Way to make a guy feel bad. :disshame:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 4:16am
Heston wrote:
white man wrote:
I was at Victoria Park in 1978. But I forgot to do a head count. Way to make a guy feel bad. :disshame:
I reckon there were almost 4 million people there going by all the testimonies on social media

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

white man wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 8:39am
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
white man wrote:
I reckon there were almost 4 million people there going by all the testimonies on social media
I know I was there but as to the other 3 million plus I only know some of them were there.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Hey, I have my RAR/Live Aid lecture coming up. I was wondering if you have any memories you can share about the mood of the crowd and all that. Did you get the impression that people were there because of the cause or was it basically for the music? But, generally, anything that stands out in your memory would be good for adding extra meat to my discussion.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 9:40am
white man wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
white man wrote:
I know I was there but as to the other 3 million plus I only know some of them were there.
Nearly as many as at the Free Trade Hall in 1976 to see the Sex Pistols!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 10:36am
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 9:40am
white man wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:

Nearly as many as at the Free Trade Hall in 1976 to see the Sex Pistols!
I'll take the lesser. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 9:52am
Marky Dread wrote:
Hey, I have my RAR/Live Aid lecture coming up. I was wondering if you have any memories you can share about the mood of the crowd and all that. Did you get the impression that people were there because of the cause or was it basically for the music? But, generally, anything that stands out in your memory would be good for adding extra meat to my discussion.
What stands out from memory is the noise of the crowd and the crowd were going nuts. Big sways of movement to the point of almost being pushed over. I was not yet 14 years old bar a few months and this was my first Clash show. The crush of the crowd was immense. Maybe 10 -15 rows from the front of the right hand side of the stage (Mick's Side) if you watch the footage. I have watched it a thousand times over but can't spot myself.

I bunked the train from Reading station (easy in them days) then again bunked on the tube from Paddington to Piccadilly. Walked down to join the crowd/march (estimated to be around 100,000 people) at Leicester Square. I can remember The Ruts were playing somewhere on route on the back of a flat bed truck. I think they shared this with the reggae band Misty In Roots although I don't remember seeing them.

Regards your question I think people were there for both political and musical reasons/purposes. There was a huge amount of people leafleting and promoting the ANL (Anti Nazi League). It politicised me by making me realise the power you can gain in number plus the thought of fighting scum like the NF who I loathed. Regards the racist side of things the impact didn't change my outlook. I grew up with lots of black friends and only ever saw the person not the skin colour. Reading was/is heavily multicultural just the way things should be. As friends we would insult each other as true friends do.

Some amazing music/bands X-Ray Spex/TRB/Clash/Steel Pulse, though from memory not the greatest sound system from the stage. Still that feeling of us all coming together to fight a common cause was empowering.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 11:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
What stands out from memory is the noise of the crowd and the crowd were going nuts. Big sways of movement to the point of almost being pushed over. I was not yet 14 years old bar a few months and this was my first Clash show. The crush of the crowd was immense. Maybe 10 -15 rows from the front of the right hand side of the stage (Mick's Side) if you watch the footage. I have watched it a thousand times over but can't spot myself.

I bunked the train from Reading station (easy in them days) then again bunked on the tube from Paddington to Piccadilly. Walked down to join the crowd/march (estimated to be around 100,000 people) at Leicester Square. I can remember The Ruts were playing somewhere on route on the back of a flat bed truck. I think they shared this with the reggae band Misty In Roots although I don't remember seeing them.

Regards your question I think people were there for both political and musical reasons/purposes. There was a huge amount of people leafleting and promoting the ANL (Anti Nazi League). It politicised me by making me realise the power you can gain in number plus the thought of fighting scum like the NF who I loathed. Regards the racist side of things the impact didn't change my outlook. I grew up with lots of black friends and only ever saw the person not the skin colour. Reading was/is heavily multicultural just the way things should be. As friends we would insult each other as true friends do.

Some amazing music/bands X-Ray Spex/TRB/Clash/Steel Pulse, though from memory not the greatest sound system from the stage. Still that feeling of us all coming together to fight a common cause was empowering.
That's great stuff—thanks so much for sharing. It reminds of something Billy Bragg, who was also there, said. After the experience, he went to work on Monday and heard the casual racism from the old fuckers who were his co-workers, but now he had the courage to tell them to shut the hell up. Adding your memories to that will, I hope, further get across how a consciousness-raising experience can have practical effects.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I'm sure you've seen this film flagged up here before Doc, but in case not - try and track down the 'White Riot' documentary. You might be able to find it on some (ahem) dodgy streaming sites, or maybe can use some contacts through your job to access it.

https://www.modernfilms.com/whiteriot

And 'Walls Come Tumbling Down' by Daniel Rachel has tons of info on RAR's behind the scenes planning of the march and the gig.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

...and thanks Marky for the remastered Us Festival.
I see it has one extra track compared to the version you did in 2017 - worth having it for that alone.
PS I never know if it's 'Us Festival' (as in 'us - we - lots of people') or 'US Festival' (as in 'United States') - anyone know? It seems to be spelt 'Us' on the official posters and graphics but is often quoted as 'US'

PPS - your artwork got me checking the song title 'Sound Of Sinners' - on the Sandinista record cover it says 'Sound of THE Sinners' ... but the record label itself has it as 'Sound of Sinners'. Take your pick, folks!
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JohnS wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 11:56am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I'm sure you've seen this film flagged up here before Doc, but in case not - try and track down the 'White Riot' documentary. You might be able to find it on some (ahem) dodgy streaming sites, or maybe can use some contacts through your job to access it.

https://www.modernfilms.com/whiteriot

And 'Walls Come Tumbling Down' by Daniel Rachel has tons of info on RAR's behind the scenes planning of the march and the gig.
Yup, watched the docu. I have an eBook copy of Rachel, but the main source I used for the RAR part of my lecture was David Renton's Never Again: Rock Against Racism and the Anti-Nazi League 1976–1982. Seems to me I couldn't track down a copy of Rachel's book at the time. A book I wouldn't mind teaching in a seminar, actually.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 11:52am
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 11:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

That's great stuff—thanks so much for sharing. It reminds of something Billy Bragg, who was also there, said. After the experience, he went to work on Monday and heard the casual racism from the old fuckers who were his co-workers, but now he had the courage to tell them to shut the hell up. Adding your memories to that will, I hope, further get across how a consciousness-raising experience can have practical effects.
In that situation (Billy's) yes it makes huge sense to at least admonish those work colleagues regards their ignorance.

However I was just a teenager living at home so what am I going to do? The older generation always saw things different and I couldn't very well divorce my parents could I. I do remember saying stuff to my mum like stop using the term "coloured people" they are black and proud to be black if you have to see the colour at least respect they are black. We are ALL coloured.

Stepdad "mind how you talk to mother!!!".

The song "Racist Friend" by the Special AKA is great in some aspects but not when you're still a kid living at home hearing casual racism from an older generation. Holding your tongue and knowing your place is crucial to having a roof over your head and eating.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia