Marky Dread Remasters

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Marky Dread Remasters

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 12:15pm
However I was just a teenager living at home so what am I going to do? The older generation always saw things different and I couldn't very well divorce my parents could I. I do remember saying stuff to my mum like stop using the term "coloured people" they are black and proud to be black if you have to see the colour at least respect they are black. We are ALL coloured.

Stepdad "mind how you talk to mother!!!".

The song "Racist Friend" by the Special AKA is great in some aspects but not when you're still a kid living at home hearing casual racism from an older generation. Holding your tongue and knowing your place is crucial to having a roof over your head and eating.
Certainly. I mean only that you were politicized and realized you could fight back against fascists in the street. It's always tougher when it's family, especially if you're a dependent minor. My dad was a racist, but not in the overtly hateful sense. He was more of the kind that thought Aboriginal people were lazy and just needed to learn better values from whites—that's how they'd get ahead. You just learned to keep your mouth shut and even to rationalize things to keep the peace.

It was also tougher because he wasn't being clearly hateful. Harder for a teenager to properly enunciate why that kind of contempt is also horrible. To the day he died, he didn't believe there was any kind of systemic discrimination—everyone has an equal chance and just need to apply themselves. Because that was his life's experience. Grew up incredibly poor on a farm during the Great Depression, yet he made something of himself.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 12:35pm
Marky Dread wrote:
However I was just a teenager living at home so what am I going to do? The older generation always saw things different and I couldn't very well divorce my parents could I. I do remember saying stuff to my mum like stop using the term "coloured people" they are black and proud to be black if you have to see the colour at least respect they are black. We are ALL coloured.

The song "Racist Friend" by the Special AKA is great in some aspects but not when you're still a kid living at home hearing casual racism from an older generation. Holding your tongue and knowing your place is crucial to having a roof over your head and eating.
Certainly. I mean only that you were politicized and realized you could fight back against fascists in the street. It's always tougher when it's family, especially if you're a dependent minor. My dad was a racist, but not in the overtly hateful sense. He was more of the kind that thought Aboriginal people were lazy and just needed to learn better values from whites—that's how they'd get ahead. You just learned to keep your mouth shut and even to rationalize things to keep the peace.

It was also tougher because he wasn't being clearly hateful. Harder for a teenager to properly enunciate why that kind of contempt is also horrible. To the day he died, he didn't believe there was any kind of systemic discrimination—everyone has an equal chance and just need to apply themselves. Because that was his life's experience. Grew up incredibly poor on a farm during the Great Depression, yet he made something of himself.
Hello,

Sometimes it's just being uneducated (about other races/people), sometimes it's lack of exposure/awareness - and sometimes it's racism. With all the advances in media and technology, you would think the first two would go away. However, with popular media promoting stereotypes and clichés, it's not that simple.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yep and to a certain degree it's understandable if not acceptable. Knowledge and understanding can be powerful tools no doubt. But sometimes being a bit street smart helps you to survive.

You think my step dad was going to give me train fare to go and see The Clash no fucking chance of that. That's how I knew my only chance was to dodge the fare. He was a lorry driver and would work long shifts on the road. So luckily he was away when The Clash played at Victoria Park. My mum was easier going but she thought I was over at a mates house. The whole thing felt like a victory just like a planned mission.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 12:43pm
Sometimes it's just being uneducated (about other races/people), sometimes it's lack of exposure/awareness - and sometimes it's racism. With all the advances in media and technology, you would think the first two would go away. However, with popular media promoting stereotypes and clichés, it's not that simple.
The great hope that the Internet would lead the way in promoting tolerance and respect by giving everyone an equal chance to speak—a tidal wave of communication—never quite turned out that way. Instead, all the ugly taboos got amplified by the power of soap box anonymity.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 12:45pm
You think my step dad was going to give me train fare to go and see The Clash no fucking chance of that. That's how I knew my only chance was to dodge the fare. He was a lorry driver and would work long shifts on the road. So luckily he was away when The Clash played at Victoria Park. My mum was easier going but she thought I was over at a mates house. The whole thing felt like a victory just like a planned mission.
Ha! That's great and more context for relating your experience.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

gkbill wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 12:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Hello,

Probably not gonna be a popular opinion but here's how I feel. We need to stop using the term "black" and "white". If we are truly going to move forward. I don't like the labels "Black Lives Matter" or the term "White Privilege".

I respect the BLM movement for addressing the situation head on and for bringing stuff to wider attention. But I would prefer it to be called "Respect All Lives". As for "White Privilege" no denying that has existed for a hell of a long time. But there are many underprivileged white people all over the world who simply don't fit that term.

If we continue to say it's a white or black problem we will go around in circles for ever more. We have to see past the colour and realise so many of us need help.

I'm sure there are those here who feel Marky is missing the point of Black Lives Matter as it clearly illuminates a particular issue and a much bigger picture. My concern is that using that term isn't going to change anyone who is a racist and fuel further hatred.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 12 Oct 2020, 1:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

JohnS wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 12:00pm
...and thanks Marky for the remastered Us Festival.
I see it has one extra track compared to the version you did in 2017 - worth having it for that alone.
PS I never know if it's 'Us Festival' (as in 'us - we - lots of people') or 'US Festival' (as in 'United States') - anyone know? It seems to be spelt 'Us' on the official posters and graphics but is often quoted as 'US'

PPS - your artwork got me checking the song title 'Sound Of Sinners' - on the Sandinista record cover it says 'Sound of THE Sinners' ... but the record label itself has it as 'Sound of Sinners'. Take your pick, folks!
It's "Us" as in the collective term for people.

And the Sound of the Sinners thing has been discussed a few times on here!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 1:30pm
JohnS wrote:
I see it has one extra track compared to the version you did in 2017 - worth having it for that alone.
PS I never know if it's 'Us Festival' (as in 'us - we - lots of people') or 'US Festival' (as in 'United States') - anyone know? It seems to be spelt 'Us' on the official posters and graphics but is often quoted as 'US'

PPS - your artwork got me checking the song title 'Sound Of Sinners' - on the Sandinista record cover it says 'Sound of THE Sinners' ... but the record label itself has it as 'Sound of Sinners'. Take your pick, folks!
It's "Us" as in the collective term for people.

And the Sound of the Sinners thing has been discussed a few times on here!
The Unite Us In Song [Unuson or Us] Festival.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnS wrote:

Extra track? Just the intro.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 12:58pm

Probably not gonna be a popular opinion but here's how I feel. We need to stop using the term "black" and "white". If we are truly going to move forward. I don't like the labels "Black Lives Matter" or the term "White Privilege".

I respect the BLM movement for addressing the situation head on and for bringing stuff to wider attention. But I would prefer it to be called "Respect All Lives". As for "White Privilege" no denying that has existed for a hell of a long time. But there are many underprivileged white people all over the world who simply don't fit that term.

If we continue to say it's a white or black problem we will go around in circles for ever more. We have to see past the colour and realise so many of us need help.
*note I haphazardly wrote this during work*

These are two separate items (BLM, white privilege) with plenty of overlap, but I think your issues are pretty separate from my reading.

In terms of BLM, the goal for BLM is in fact for all lives to matter (or respect all lives as you say). In the same way if your transmission is failing on your car, you don't focus on the the entire car, you focus on what actually needs work (excuse the shitty car analogy). It's important to note that you and I are on the same page about ending racism. The issue is that by not focusing and explicitly acknowledging black lives matter, it is harder or impossible to achieve that.

In terms of white privilege, you bring up some very important points regarding class. It's also important to note that class is not focused on nearly as much in the US as race is (for better or worse as we've discussed). Yes, poor white people have it rough and don't have the same opportunities as rich white people (and rich black people, generally speaking). Poor whites still maintain privilege over their black counterparts (i'm using black exclusively, but I understand different ethnic groups have similar, but not the same issues). There was a thread on reddit recently about this and a bunch of poor whites chimed in that they never had the same issues with police that their black friends did, for example.

Issues of race and class can be dealt with concurrently.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 1:43pm
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 12:58pm

*note I haphazardly wrote this during work*

These are two separate items (BLM, white privilege) with plenty of overlap, but I think your issues are pretty separate from my reading.

In terms of BLM, the goal for BLM is in fact for all lives to matter (or respect all lives as you say). In the same way if your transmission is failing on your car, you don't focus on the the entire car, you focus on what actually needs work (excuse the shitty car analogy). It's important to note that you and I are on the same page about ending racism. The issue is that by not focusing and explicitly acknowledging black lives matter, it is harder or impossible to achieve that.

In terms of white privilege, you bring up some very important points regarding class. It's also important to note that class is not focused on nearly as much in the US as race is (for better or worse as we've discussed). Yes, poor white people have it rough and don't have the same opportunities as rich white people (and rich black people, generally speaking). Poor whites still maintain privilege over their black counterparts (i'm using black exclusively, but I understand different ethnic groups have similar, but not the same issues). There was a thread on reddit recently about this and a bunch of poor whites chimed in that they never had the same issues with police that their black friends did, for example.

Issues of race and class can be dealt with concurrently.
I was interrupted during my post. I also added this passage to the end of the post before you responded here.

"I'm sure there are those here who feel Marky is missing the point of Black Lives Matter as it clearly illuminates a particular issue and a much bigger picture. My concern is that using that term isn't going to change anyone who is a racist and fuel further hatred."

Yes I agree with all you are saying and your car analogy works fine.

Racist police officers won't see any difference with poverty or the poor over say a wealthy black man. Or maybe if the black man in question had status and was say a judge maybe the racist officer might consider his position. I understand the need to use the term black here totally. I just feel those racists out there will only use it as a means to more hatred. I hope I'm making sense as I'm not the best with getting my point across.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

JohnS wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 11:56am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 9:52am
Marky Dread wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 4:16am
I was at Victoria Park in 1978. But I forgot to do a head count. Way to make a guy feel bad. :disshame:
Hey, I have my RAR/Live Aid lecture coming up. I was wondering if you have any memories you can share about the mood of the crowd and all that. Did you get the impression that people were there because of the cause or was it basically for the music? But, generally, anything that stands out in your memory would be good for adding extra meat to my discussion.
I'm sure you've seen this film flagged up here before Doc, but in case not - try and track down the 'White Riot' documentary. You might be able to find it on some (ahem) dodgy streaming sites, or maybe can use some contacts through your job to access it.

https://www.modernfilms.com/whiteriot

And 'Walls Come Tumbling Down' by Daniel Rachel has tons of info on RAR's behind the scenes planning of the march and the gig.
John, the doc is on Sky Arts this Friday. Along with Don Letts

york
Corner Soul

Post by york »

by the way, this is not meant disrespectfully to the discussion, thanks Marky for San Bernardino and the Düsseldorf remasters, living in Düsseldorf
cheers York

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

white man wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 2:22pm
Belated thanks for the tip-off, whiteman. I did read this when you posted it, but I've already seen the doc c/o a download some months ago.
It's well worth a look though. I was too young at the time to realise how prominent and credible the National Front were in the mid/late 70s. It's shocking to see how much they were gaining traction in mainstream politics.

(Sorry to hijack Marky's thread. Hopefully he can steer the good ship back on course... did you ever do the Hamburg 'riot show' from 1980 Marky? :mrgreen: )
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

JohnS wrote:
16 Oct 2020, 9:24pm
white man wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 2:22pm
Belated thanks for the tip-off, whiteman. I did read this when you posted it, but I've already seen the doc c/o a download some months ago.
It's well worth a look though. I was too young at the time to realise how prominent and credible the National Front were in the mid/late 70s. It's shocking to see how much they were gaining traction in mainstream politics.

(Sorry to hijack Marky's thread. Hopefully he can steer the good ship back on course... did you ever do the Hamburg 'riot show' from 1980 Marky? :mrgreen: )
I suspected that you would have already seen it, John. Still, it was good to see it in pristine quality. Those NF'ers from the seventies are the 60yo who are the working class face of Brexit support today. Hard working types who were misled by a bunch of posh boys.
Anyway, i'm misleading this thread. What it needs is an MD Remaster to put it back on track. Ha'way lad.