Marky Dread Remasters

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Marky Dread Remasters

Post by Marky Dread »

Attachments
The Clash - Veteran's Memorial Auditorium, Columbus, Ohio, May 9, 1984 [Front].jpg
The Clash - Veteran's Memorial Auditorium, Columbus, Ohio, May 9, 1984 [Rear].jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

GotGameGreggy
Dirty Punk

Post by GotGameGreggy »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 9:11pm
More ammunition...

https://mega.nz/file/NBIgGZyJ#qc6JaRSuT ... k9bYZUJ-gc
Thanks for this, Mark. It's good to see the Mk. 2 line-up getting some love and attention recently. I feel like the post-Mick Jones line-up often gets overlooked and glossed over since it wasn't really the "true" Clash. Even though I've read that it was a pretty chaotic and dramatic time for everyone involved, I think the Mk. 2 line-up did do some good stuff. They sound like they put on some very exciting concerts and a lot of the new songs were cool, especially "In the Pouring Rain". I think they could have put out a very solid album if they had gotten the proper chance.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

GotGameGreggy wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 9:26pm
Marky Dread wrote:
More ammunition...

Thanks for this, Mark. It's good to see the Mk. 2 line-up getting some love and attention recently. I feel like the post-Mick Jones line-up often gets overlooked and glossed over since it wasn't really the "true" Clash. Even though I've read that it was a pretty chaotic and dramatic time for everyone involved, I think the Mk. 2 line-up did do some good stuff. They sound like they put on some very exciting concerts and a lot of the new songs were cool, especially "In the Pouring Rain". I think they could have put out a very solid album if they had gotten the proper chance.
Yeah I agree they could've definitively made a far better album than what got released. It was a shame they never got the chance to re-do the album or at least something else. But it was never going to be the same after Mick was fired. I saw this line up and enjoyed the Brixton show but something was missing and that something was Mick.

It's no disservice to Pete, Nick, and Vince they seem like good guys, well the first two anyway. But the chemistry just wasn't the same. Joe eventually realised this.

I wish Pete, Nick and Vince had formed another band after the split. If you listen to the soundcheck here it shows they fitted well together. Not The Clash of course but they could've got another front man and been a solid unit.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

GotGameGreggy
Dirty Punk

Post by GotGameGreggy »

Marky Dread wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 10:06pm
GotGameGreggy wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
More ammunition...

Yeah I agree they could've definitively made a far better album than what got released. It was a shame they never got the chance to re-do the album or at least something else. But it was never going to be the same after Mick was fired. I saw this line up and enjoyed the Brixton show but something was missing and that something was Mick.

It's no disservice to Pete, Nick, and Vince they seem like good guys, well the first two anyway. But the chemistry just wasn't the same. Joe eventually realised this.

I wish Pete, Nick and Vince had formed another band after the split. If you listen to the soundcheck here it shows they fitted well together. Not The Clash of course but they could've got another front man and been a solid unit.
I agree, Nick, Vince, and Pete were all great musicians who got put in weird situation.

I've watched the documentary "The Rise And Fall Of The Clash" several times and one point that really stands out to me was towards the end when Nick talks about how after Joe left, Bernie first asked Paul if he would be interested in being the lead singer and then after Paul turned that offer down, Bernie held auditions for new lead singers. I think Nick basically said that he knew it was a lost cause by that point, but he went to the auditions just to see if there was anyone there that he could maybe work with on other projects.

Nick said that Bernie basically started seeing the band like a sports team at that point, once one player leaves, just draft a new one to replace him. He also said something along the lines of "Bernie would still have a version of The Clash touring today if he had the rights to the name". I thought that was pretty interesting.

Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Post by Telecaster »

Wow, you're on a roll this week Marky. Thank you for all the hardwork on each of these remasters.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Telecaster wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 4:48am
Wow, you're on a roll this week Marky. Thank you for all the hardwork on each of these remasters.
Cheers mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

GotGameGreggy wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 12:51am
Marky Dread wrote:
GotGameGreggy wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
More ammunition...

I agree, Nick, Vince, and Pete were all great musicians who got put in weird situation.

I've watched the documentary "The Rise And Fall Of The Clash" several times and one point that really stands out to me was towards the end when Nick talks about how after Joe left, Bernie first asked Paul if he would be interested in being the lead singer and then after Paul turned that offer down, Bernie held auditions for new lead singers. I think Nick basically said that he knew it was a lost cause by that point, but he went to the auditions just to see if there was anyone there that he could maybe work with on other projects.

Nick said that Bernie basically started seeing the band like a sports team at that point, once one player leaves, just draft a new one to replace him. He also said something along the lines of "Bernie would still have a version of The Clash touring today if he had the rights to the name". I thought that was pretty interesting.
Yes that Idea of continuing without any original members has worked for many bands down the years. I think with the punk groups or groups from that era the personalities of each band were very strong and those bands had something to say.

When I see an old band nowadays with just the odd original member(s) they are about entertainment and nostalgia to a big degree. Punk was not about nostalgia and was about dealing with reality and facing the world around you head on. Some were political or semi political or about personal politics others were just fun bands.

Bands that are still around today playing festivals offer an alternative to the mainstream and for old fuckers like me to have some fun and pretend that they really meant it maaaaaaan! ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JChampion
Sightsee MC

Post by JChampion »

Marky Dread wrote:
GotGameGreggy wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
More ammunition...

I was kinda surprised The Mescaleros didn't continue on with either one of the guys taking over vocals or finding another front man. I know replacing Joe would be very hard to do (just like replacing Mick was in The Clash) but they were a great band.

JohnSimonBeverly
Dirty Punk

Post by JohnSimonBeverly »

Fantastic, thank you so much for sharing this (and for the awesome cover artwork!).

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 8:58pm
Fantastic, thank you so much for sharing this (and for the awesome cover artwork!).
👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Charlie Dont Surf
Long Time Jerk

Post by Charlie Dont Surf »

Telecaster wrote:
+1

Cheers Mate,
Great Work on the Filmore San Francisco 79 Show, Thanks Again

CDS
Someday you'll meet your rockin chair, Cause that's where we're spinnin
There's no point to want to comb your hair, When its grey and thinin

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

JChampion wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 8:55pm
Marky Dread wrote:
GotGameGreggy wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
More ammunition...

I was kinda surprised The Mescaleros didn't continue on with either one of the guys taking over vocals or finding another front man. I know replacing Joe would be very hard to do (just like replacing Mick was in The Clash) but they were a great band.
I guess the Hours were that to an extent.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Thanks Marky as always, I particularly enjoyed the soundcheck.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
06 Mar 2021, 5:02am
Thanks Marky as always, I particularly enjoyed the soundcheck.
Yeah got some good sound on that.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Charlie Dont Surf wrote:
06 Mar 2021, 4:22am
Telecaster wrote:
+1

Cheers Mate,
Great Work on the Filmore San Francisco 79 Show, Thanks Again

CDS
Cheers 👍

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.