Marky Dread Remasters

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
CDS1976
Corner Soul

Re: Marky Dread Remasters

Post by CDS1976 »

Marky, are you planning on doing anything for No 10 Upping St?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

CDS1976 wrote:
22 Mar 2022, 4:27pm
Marky, are you planning on doing anything for No 10 Upping St?
Wait and see. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Spencey
Dirty Punk

Post by Spencey »

Firstly, a HUGE thank you to Mr. Markey Dread for these remasters. Thank you, thank you, thank you! The info both here and on Black Market Clash is mind boggling and all from a place of love and passion. I'm sure The Clash would be very proud to know these places and people exist.

I read every page and downloaded every link (or I hope I did) about a year and a half ago. Listened to a handful then I got completely waylaid with other things in life. Now I'm back on the case and started to go through these.

I figured the best way was to go year by year. So here is a pic of how 1976 looks. The artwork is incredible and my crappy printer doesn't do it justice at all.

I do have a couple of questions which I'm sure have already been answered somewhere in this thread.

Regarding 100 Club Aug 76. I seem to have two different versions. I noticed that one of the discs has the date being 27th Aug. I'm guessing this typo prompted a re-doing of the artwork? Regarding the tracklisting... couple of the songs have different titles. Just wondering if the official titles are known?

Regarding The Roundhouse 5th Sept. Two different versions. Couple of songs with differing titles. Which artwork would be the correct one?

Regarding Electric Circus 9th Dec. Two versions with differing tracklistings. Not sure which is correct.

Thanks
Gary

(Posting via mobile so hopefully works ok)
Attachments
20220418_151653.jpg
20220418_151436.jpg

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I can't help on the data, but just want to say how cool it is to see Marky's wonderful artwork printed and turned into physical media like that. Thanks for sharing Spencey. A very nice tribute to Marky's incredible work.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Spencey
Dirty Punk

Post by Spencey »

I've just plonked on the headphones, opened a beer and starting with Screen on the Green.

Is this the earliest live Clash recording?

Very listenable and enjoyable recording and great to hear some new songs, although I can see why some of them weren't keepers.

Spencey
Dirty Punk

Post by Spencey »

Flex wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 11:21am
I can't help on the data, but just want to say how cool it is to see Marky's wonderful artwork printed and turned into physical media like that. Thanks for sharing Spencey. A very nice tribute to Marky's incredible work.
It simply had to be done. The artwork and audio polishing is stunning. I've never seen the vast majority of the photos used for the artwork. The period correct photos and even the font is so on the money. Really digging Mark Me Absent.

SuzukiSamurai
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by SuzukiSamurai »

Spencey wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 11:50am
I've just plonked on the headphones, opened a beer and starting with Screen on the Green.

Is this the earliest live Clash recording?

Very listenable and enjoyable recording and great to hear some new songs, although I can see why some of them weren't keepers.
Screen on the Green is the earliest recording, yet only their second(!) gig. For the time the quality is very good and Marky's remaster only makes it better. 1976 held some great unrecorded songs, Mark Me Absent and Medicine Cabinet (or whatever it is called) sound really good to me and could have made good songs. Now I need to go give 1976 a few more listens...

War on tape hiss!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Spencey wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 10:46am
Firstly, a HUGE thank you to Mr. Markey Dread for these remasters. Thank you, thank you, thank you! The info both here and on Black Market Clash is mind boggling and all from a place of love and passion. I'm sure The Clash would be very proud to know these places and people exist.

I read every page and downloaded every link (or I hope I did) about a year and a half ago. Listened to a handful then I got completely waylaid with other things in life. Now I'm back on the case and started to go through these.

I figured the best way was to go year by year. So here is a pic of how 1976 looks. The artwork is incredible and my crappy printer doesn't do it justice at all.

I do have a couple of questions which I'm sure have already been answered somewhere in this thread.

Regarding 100 Club Aug 76. I seem to have two different versions. I noticed that one of the discs has the date being 27th Aug. I'm guessing this typo prompted a re-doing of the artwork? Regarding the tracklisting... couple of the songs have different titles. Just wondering if the official titles are known?

Regarding The Roundhouse 5th Sept. Two different versions. Couple of songs with differing titles. Which artwork would be the correct one?

Regarding Electric Circus 9th Dec. Two versions with differing tracklistings. Not sure which is correct.

Thanks
Gary

(Posting via mobile so hopefully works ok)
Gary, firstly I have to let you know it's "Marky" not "Markey". 😏👍

100 Club, August 31, 1976
Intro - Transistor radio
Deny
1-2 Crush on You
Medicine Cabinet
I Never Did It
How Can I Understand the Flies
Protex Blue
Janie Jones
Mark Me Absent
Dig A Hole*
48 Hours
I'm So Bored with You**
What's My Name

* some bootlegs have this track listed as "Deadly Serious" which comes from the chorus.

It's so deadly serious why can't you sing us rock and roll
It's so deadly serious

Dig a hole and bury your guitar
Dig some reggae but don't play any x2

I want a disco
Bring another disco
I hate all the disco's
I got sick of disco

There is a famous bootleg titled "Going to the Disco" which steals it's name from this track.

The track title is "Dig A Hole" and has been confirmed by Paul Simonon in interview.

** I'm So Bored with You

Early version of "I'm So Bored with the U.S.A."

"Medicine Cabinet" was a title confirmed by Joe in interview and has been listed as "I Know What I Think About You" on some bootlegs

The Roundhouse, September 5th 1976
Deny
1-2 Crush on You
Medicine Cabinet
I Never Did It
How Can I Understand the Flies
Protex Blue
Janie Jones
Mark Me Absent
Dig A Hole
48 Hours
I'm So Bored with You
She's Sitting at the Party
London's Burning
What's My Name

Electric Circus, Manchester, December 9th 1976
White Riot
I'm So Bored with the U.S.A.
London's Burning
Hate & War
Big Brother*
Career Opportunities
Cheat
48 Hours
Janie Jones
1-2 Crush on You

This version is the complete gig. The first upload was missing the last track "1-2 Crush on You".

* Big Brother (Is Watching You)
This track is a one off where they completely changed the lyrics to "Protex Blue" but kept the music.

Hope this helps.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Spencey
Dirty Punk

Post by Spencey »

Ah, sorry Marky. I meant no offence.

Thank you for the explanations. Very much appreciated. Almost done with your 1976 remasters. Wonderfully executed.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Spencey wrote:
18 Apr 2022, 2:49pm
Ah, sorry Marky. I meant no offence.

Thank you for the explanations. Very much appreciated. Almost done with your 1976 remasters. Wonderfully executed.
I know mate, it's all good. Just makes me smile when my name is on all the artwork and it's the name of the thread. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Spencey
Dirty Punk

Post by Spencey »

The Dread had me thinking Mikey. I stole his "e" and gave it to you. I get "Gerry" all the time when meeting new folk even though my name is Gary. I also get Garry a lot.

You'd think I would know better, ha.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Thanks for the setlist corrections Marquee

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

white man wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 7:00am
Thanks for the setlist corrections Marquee
You're welcome Stevie.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Spencey
Dirty Punk

Post by Spencey »

1976 all done and digested. Superb! On to 77/78.
Attachments
20220422_194317.jpg
20220422_194124.jpg

Spencey
Dirty Punk

Post by Spencey »

More
Attachments
20220422_194229.jpg