Sessionography?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Sessionography?

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 2:08pm
There's a minor one. Thurston Moore claims he doesn't listen to anything besides cassette.

I have a few cassette reissues for novelty, and a fairly nice Technics cassette player I picked up for a few bucks that I play a few cassette-only releases I've picked up over the years (I have a great Taang! records sampler cassette from the late 80s that's as good a collection of music as you'll ever find, imho).

I have a Halloween music cassette from when I was a kid that includes versions of songs I can't find digitally anywhere.

Addendum: arranging mp3s or Spotify setlits has none of the joy or creativity of genuinely sitting down and recording a mixtape. That's really what I miss about that dead format.
I'm not sure it's minor anymore. Even Kylie's new album is coming out on cassette.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 11:56am
Low Down Low wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 11:46am
Is the so-called “vinyl revolution” just a fad then, with its inherent implication that, among other things, people have a yearning for the old school physical product which, obviously, is largely album based?
Certainly not speaking for everyone who's rediscovered vinyl, but I do think that it's largely a status statement. It's declaring a passion for music that's above the usual music consumer. If streaming and downloads make music easier, vinyl makes it harder. It's more work to play, more work to store. And it's tangible where digital is not. Arguments about warmer sound and all that might be valid—I can rarely tell the difference, but that's fully on me—but it is, again, an argument about separating oneself from the less discerning, less demanding listener. Larger sleeves (actual sleeves, compared to digital) justify a claim that art and liner notes mean more. It doesn't (necessarily) make one a snob, but it does signal a separation from the hoi polloi.
I was into vinyl from about 07-12 and have largely stopped. Between the obvious convenience issues and what not, there is also having space for records, and the environmental impact of having to create something physical that can be transmitted digitally. That being said, I almost packed away all my records while getting Hoy Jr.'s room ready but decided to buy a new cabinet for my player as I was having too much fun listening to the records for the first time in ages.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 2:23pm
The challenge of being limited by time, whether on a cassette or cd-r, was one thing, but, yeah, the genuine labour of dropping the needle and hitting record, listening along, then hitting pause and search for the next song. There's nothing objectively superior about doing it that way, but it's certainly more romantic.
I think it forced you to actually listen to what you were putting together and compelled you to be more considerate with song sequencing, selection, etc.

Maybe with more self-discipline I could replicate that with digital playlists, but the natural tendency of the format is just to dump a bunch of music into one list and then (most likely) shuffle it all anyways. Which is fine, but a less thoughtful way to sequence music.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 2:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 11:56am
Low Down Low wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 11:46am
Is the so-called “vinyl revolution” just a fad then, with its inherent implication that, among other things, people have a yearning for the old school physical product which, obviously, is largely album based?
Certainly not speaking for everyone who's rediscovered vinyl, but I do think that it's largely a status statement. It's declaring a passion for music that's above the usual music consumer. If streaming and downloads make music easier, vinyl makes it harder. It's more work to play, more work to store. And it's tangible where digital is not. Arguments about warmer sound and all that might be valid—I can rarely tell the difference, but that's fully on me—but it is, again, an argument about separating oneself from the less discerning, less demanding listener. Larger sleeves (actual sleeves, compared to digital) justify a claim that art and liner notes mean more. It doesn't (necessarily) make one a snob, but it does signal a separation from the hoi polloi.
I was into vinyl from about 07-12 and have largely stopped. Between the obvious convenience issues and what not, there is also having space for records, and the environmental impact of having to create something physical that can be transmitted digitally. That being said, I almost packed away all my records while getting Hoy Jr.'s room ready but decided to buy a new cabinet for my player as I was having too much fun listening to the records for the first time in ages.
Growing up when I did - the CD was kind - and I amassed a pretty big collection - but a few years back I converted them all to lossless digital files - backed them up on external hard drives - and packed all my CD's away. There was just no need to have them taking up space.

I do miss making mix tapes on cassette. That was a fun experience - but as previously mentioned - it's more of a romantic thing - a nod to my childhood years. I don't miss the cassette, however. They were portable - but that was pretty much it. I still have quite a few of them - but I don't think I've listened to one in years. In fact, when I got into the Clash in the late-80's/early-90's - I picked everything up on cassette!

I was a bit too young for vinyl (I just turned 41). I remember going into department stores as a kid and seeing the huge record departments, but I wasn't old enough to be an active consumer. I do own a turntable and I used to scrounge around used record shops when I was younger because it was fun - but I restricted myself to music that was originally released on vinyl. I'd never pick up a modern release on vinyl.

Honestly (and don't tell this to Neil Young), I'm perfectly happy with lossy digital files. They work (and sound) just fine (in my opinion). I think if you're getting lost down the sound quality rabbit hole you're probably missing the point.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 2:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 2:23pm
The challenge of being limited by time, whether on a cassette or cd-r, was one thing, but, yeah, the genuine labour of dropping the needle and hitting record, listening along, then hitting pause and search for the next song. There's nothing objectively superior about doing it that way, but it's certainly more romantic.
I think it forced you to actually listen to what you were putting together and compelled you to be more considerate with song sequencing, selection, etc.

Maybe with more self-discipline I could replicate that with digital playlists, but the natural tendency of the format is just to dump a bunch of music into one list and then (most likely) shuffle it all anyways. Which is fine, but a less thoughtful way to sequence music.
This is very true. With the finite space of a cassette - you had to really think about what you wanted to include and sometimes the choices were tough. if I wanted to make a Clash mix on cassette - that would be tough. With digital - I can just dump their entire recorded output into a playlist and shuffle. That's fine and I'm not complaining - but it could be fun making cassette mixes.

Flex

Post by Flex »

WestwayKid wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 2:50pm
This is very true. With the finite space of a cassette - you had to really think about what you wanted to include and sometimes the choices were tough. if I wanted to make a Clash mix on cassette - that would be tough. With digital - I can just dump their entire recorded output into a playlist and shuffle. That's fine and I'm not complaining - but it could be fun making cassette mixes.
I'd also argue that having to listen to the full song getting dubbed to cassette put you in a better spot to select which song would next flow best. Again, you could theoretically do this now with digital playlists, but I think the gravity of the digital format pulls towards just selecting & dumping files vs sitting their and listening to what you're putting together.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 2:48pm
Growing up when I did - the CD was kind - and I amassed a pretty big collection - but a few years back I converted them all to lossless digital files - backed them up on external hard drives - and packed all my CD's away. There was just no need to have them taking up space.
That's exactly what I've done. I have a whole lotta dvd-r's of my music backed up, but what I play is off an external hard drive. I still have a few cd's in a box in the basement, but just got rid of the bulk of my cd's when we moved. The stuff I kept was because they were fairly rare or unusual.
Honestly (and don't tell this to Neil Young), I'm perfectly happy with lossy digital files. They work (and sound) just fine (in my opinion). I think if you're getting lost down the sound quality rabbit hole you're probably missing the point.
That's me, as well. I'll accept that people with better trained hearing or superior genetics can tell a difference, and perhaps that's gift or curse, but I can't. It works for me and I get lots of enjoyment from the experience.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 2:53pm
I'd also argue that having to listen to the full song getting dubbed to cassette put you in a better spot to select which song would next flow best. Again, you could theoretically do this now with digital playlists, but I think the gravity of the digital format pulls towards just selecting & dumping files vs sitting their and listening to what you're putting together.
I think a comparison can be made between film cameras and digital. If you're paying for film and developing, you think about your shots. Digital cameras, hell, hit click five times and keep the best one. Or keep all five. You're right that the technology tempts us to be less disciplined.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

Relevant:

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 2:56pm
WestwayKid wrote:
That's exactly what I've done. I have a whole lotta dvd-r's of my music backed up, but what I play is off an external hard drive. I still have a few cd's in a box in the basement, but just got rid of the bulk of my cd's when we moved. The stuff I kept was because they were fairly rare or unusual.
That's me, as well. I'll accept that people with better trained hearing or superior genetics can tell a difference, and perhaps that's gift or curse, but I can't. It works for me and I get lots of enjoyment from the experience.
I honestly don't think many people can tell the difference and many who say they can are full of it. I listen to most of my music encoded at either 192 or 256 - and it all sounds just fine to me.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
That's exactly what I've done. I have a whole lotta dvd-r's of my music backed up, but what I play is off an external hard drive. I still have a few cd's in a box in the basement, but just got rid of the bulk of my cd's when we moved. The stuff I kept was because they were fairly rare or unusual,
I'd like to do this for space, but there's too much visceral pleasure from looking at the insert as I pull it off the shelf (especially a box set made with superb materials). Plus with digi files it's just a list of titles rather than colored spines and so I lose track of where I am and there's the perception of too much choice. It's much harder to look at the whole collection at once when your list starts at "A" every time.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Hi my name is 101W and I listen to vinyl.
I still enjoy the experience of putting on a vinyl record. I have my old vinyl record collection plus I have added new to it but all the new vinyl is of old recordings. I also listen to CD’s and have Spotify linked to my stereo off an iPad so I still listen to all types.
I find that when I actually want to listen to something, and it is usually when I am home alone and I want to play it loud, I always chose vinyl.
If I am just putting on music whilst doing stuff or people come round I listen to CD’s or Spotify.

Last night I was home alone and had a beer sat between the speakers listening to Searching For The Young Soul Rebels.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

WestwayKid wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 4:23pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I honestly don't think many people can tell the difference and many who say they can are full of it. I listen to most of my music encoded at either 192 or 256 - and it all sounds just fine to me.
I don’t have a good ear but there is a massive difference between a lot of my CD’s and the original vinyl recording especially if you listen through headphones.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 4:29pm
I'd like to do this for space, but there's too much visceral pleasure from looking at the insert as I pull it off the shelf (especially a box set made with superb materials).
A former friend refused to consider eBooks because he maintained that reading was also a tactile experience. Feeling the paper was vital. I shrugged. I can read paper, I can read off a screen. I'm just trying to get my eyes sync'd up with the words. I'm the same way with music. I just don't get any thrill beyond hearing the music itself.
Plus with digi files it's just a list of titles rather than colored spines and so I lose track of where I am and there's the perception of too much choice. It's much harder to look at the whole collection at once when your list starts at "A" every time.
Put iTunes into Album mode, so you see the album covers on the screen, and start scrolling—fast or slow—and something grabs your eye.

The older I get, the less romantic I get about the consumption of culture. And I could well be shutting myself off from different aspects of experience because of it—such as the tactile with reading or the visual with listening to an album—but it's just not important to me. Every time I play a lossy song, Neil Young hits another bum note.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Jan 2018, 4:44pm
A former friend refused to consider eBooks because he maintained that reading was also a tactile experience. Feeling the paper was vital. I shrugged. I can read paper, I can read off a screen. I'm just trying to get my eyes sync'd up with the words. I'm the same way with music. I just don't get any thrill beyond hearing the music itself.
There's some evidence that people have better concentration and retention, especially when navigating longer texts, when reading on paper vs digitally: https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... r-screens/

Pex Lives!