Sessionography?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: Sessionography?

Post by Kory »

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Nov 2019, 5:27pm
Red Angel wrote:
28 Nov 2019, 8:36am
Why did the sessionography project die? It would have been really interesting. :!:
Lack of concrete info. I was able to piece together some of the story, but just look at the first album. It's known that it was recorded between February 10 and February 27, 1977 at CBS Studio 3 in London...but what tracks were recorded on what days? How many takes of "Janie Jones" did they put down? Who played on each track?

Trying to decipher Sandinista! is really tough: recorded throughout 1980 in at least 5 studios.

I think one would have to have access to the session logs (if they exist) to put something together. Mark Lewisohn had access to all that info when he compiled his info on the Beatles. I don't know who would have that in regards to the Clash. CBS? Mick?

We could piece something together, but in my opinion anything comprehensive (and accurate) would require access to info like session logs, tape boxes, and so on.
I suppose you'd have to be actually doing nothing other than writing a book about it—devote all your time to research and making connections with the studios and label archives in the UK. Quit your job, become an author!
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

Someone else might be interested in the idea here or out of here. Who can say? :scared:
Music is the only thing that matters

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 Jan 2018, 6:44pm
...because I geek out on this kind of stuff...anyone ever come across a good Clash sessionography online?
Work in progress thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12475#p559430
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.