Clash songs you can't stand

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Clash songs you can't stand

Post by Low Down Low »

I suspect part of the issue with LR are the naff lyrics because i can’t for the life of me see why anyone would find the tune anything less than tolerable and micks guitar work is great. The instrumental version on markys seminal LC production features regularly enough on my playlist.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Hitsville is a decent enough tune but those vocals kill it dead

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 7:42pm
Lover's Rock just suffers as being the only questionable song on LC. As a b-side it would have been acceptable.

I'm just surprised to see Sean Flynn in there, I love that song.
Yeah. Lover’s Rock is a mild cringe, but it really suffers by being on an overall masterpiece. Otherwise it’s just sort of there being...a little creepy, but not godawful.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Surprised to see Hitsville and Lose This Skin come up, 2 of my favourites from S! Yeah the vocals aren't the best but both have got decent tunes.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 11:40pm
Heston wrote:
Lover's Rock just suffers as being the only questionable song on LC. As a b-side it would have been acceptable.

Yeah. Lover’s Rock is a mild cringe, but it really suffers by being on an overall masterpiece. Otherwise it’s just sort of there being...a little creepy, but not godawful.
Me and Maj are the big LR defenders on this site if I remember correctly. I understand the hate, but the song does have a lot going for it. Also it's remarkable how much more time was spent in writing and arranging this tune (and any on LC for that matter) compared to pretty much any song on Sandinista.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 10:35am
Wolter wrote:
26 Mar 2019, 11:40pm
Heston wrote:

Me and Maj are the big LR defenders on this site if I remember correctly. I understand the hate, but the song does have a lot going for it. Also it's remarkable how much more time was spent in writing and arranging this tune (and any on LC for that matter) compared to pretty much any song on Sandinista.
The lyrics are really what sink it for me. Some bands can sing about sex, but I have never enjoyed any member of the Clash doing so.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
Also it's remarkable how much more time was spent in writing and arranging this tune (and any on LC for that matter) compared to pretty much any song on Sandinista.
Rather ironic, then, that it resulted in the weakest song on the album. It's just such a flat tune and with awkward lyrics. As Jon says above, the Clash don't sing about sex naturally. No crime in that—plenty of bands can't sing about social justice in a compelling way.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 10:52am
matedog wrote:
Also it's remarkable how much more time was spent in writing and arranging this tune (and any on LC for that matter) compared to pretty much any song on Sandinista.
Rather ironic, then, that it resulted in the weakest song on the album. It's just such a flat tune and with awkward lyrics. As Jon says above, the Clash don't sing about sex naturally. No crime in that—plenty of bands can't sing about social justice in a compelling way.
I think my point is that I really enjoy it musically and have always weighed music more heavily than lyrics, so LR is still quite enjoyable for me.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 10:52am
matedog wrote:
The lyrics are very cringy, but I've always wondered how serious the song is supposed to be.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 10:54am
I think my point is that I really enjoy it musically and have always weighed music more heavily than lyrics, so LR is still quite enjoyable for me.
The music seems blah and uninspired to me. Maybe there's more going on to appreciate if one is a musician, but to the average bozo like me, it's cold porridge.
WestwayKid wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 10:58am
The lyrics are very cringy, but I've always wondered how serious the song is supposed to be.
I don't think it is all that serious, but an awkward jokey song about sex isn't any more comfortable to listen to.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 11:15am
matedog wrote:
The music seems blah and uninspired to me. Maybe there's more going on to appreciate if one is a musician, but to the average bozo like me, it's cold porridge.
There's a lot of little things: the parallel falsetto harmony, the little piano riff during the line "Lover's Rock", Mick's solo and how he continues it through the next verse, and for me Topper's drumming is so great. Topper plays different beats nearly every (I don't want to call it "chorus", but that "genuine lover" feel part) part. And a great little outro with lots of percussion - claves, maracas, whistles, Mick's vocal ad lis. There's just so much going on, where as so many Sandinista songs are just verse-chorus-verse-chorus without much variation.
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I don't think it is all that serious, but an awkward jokey song about sex isn't any more comfortable to listen to.
I'll have to refresh my memory from Marcus Gray's book, but I think the lyrics/style was a genre exercise for the group of some semi obscure style I had never heard of (blank) Rock or something of the sort. Doesn't excuse the lyrics, but might explain why they are what they are.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 11:27am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
There's a lot of little things: the parallel falsetto harmony, the little piano riff during the line "Lover's Rock", Mick's solo and how he continues it through the next verse, and for me Topper's drumming is so great. Topper plays different beats nearly every (I don't want to call it "chorus", but that "genuine lover" feel part) part. And a great little outro with lots of percussion - claves, maracas, whistles, Mick's vocal ad lis. There's just so much going on, where as so many Sandinista songs are just verse-chorus-verse-chorus without much variation.
Even if I accede to your view on those parts, and can appreciate their effort to try different styles, the overall effect is really weak.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
If i had an even half decent musical vocabulary this is very much along the lines of what I’d try to post.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I'll have to refresh my memory from Marcus Gray's book, but I think the lyrics/style was a genre exercise for the group of some semi obscure style I had never heard of (blank) Rock or something of the sort. Doesn't excuse the lyrics, but might explain why they are what they are.
The genre in question is lovers rock, correct?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

It's certainly not one of my favorite songs, but I have always appreciated Lover's Rock because it's about pleasing a woman. Not very common in rock music.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy