Clash songs you can't stand

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Clash songs you can't stand

Post by Marky Dread »

There are no Clash songs I can't stand. Not suggesting they are all great but none annoy me. All the goofy ones like Cool Confusion etc are still fun to listen to.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

On the basis i refuse to accept Mensforth Hill as a song i can truly say there are no Clash songs i can’t stand either.

rudebhoy
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by rudebhoy »

Version City - sounds like 10th rate Steely Dan to me
Ivan Meets GI Joe - terrible lyrics, terrible singing
Stop The World - totally lacking any kind of tune, just a drag
The Beautiful People Are Ugly Too - horrible 80s shiny pop, reminds me of Modern Romance

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 3:03am
There are no Clash songs I can't stand. Not suggesting they are all great but none annoy me. All the goofy ones like Cool Confusion etc are still fun to listen to.
Ultimately this is my stance. There are some I make fun of and find goofy, but none I despise.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 7:44am
Marky Dread wrote:
Ultimately this is my stance. There are some I make fun of and find goofy, but none I despise.
Maybe the Cost of Living radio ad is the only "song" I would put on the despise list. Never fails to make me cringe.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 8:02am
Wolter wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 7:44am
Marky Dread wrote:
Maybe the Cost of Living radio ad is the only "song" I would put on the despise list. Never fails to make me cringe.
Fair enough but I love it I think it's stupid as he'll but it still makes me smile. Bare faced cheek with the crappy accent etc.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 28 Mar 2019, 10:01am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Wolter wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 4:34pm
JennyB wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 1:59pm
It's certainly not one of my favorite songs, but I have always appreciated Lover's Rock because it's about pleasing a woman. Not very common in rock music.
And if any band other than the Clash were singing about that, I would’ve probably not felt oily hearing it.
Why is that? Is it because, like me, you don't think of the Clash as sexual beings? :lol:

I'm trying to think of other songs in popular music that are about pleasing women, and the only other one I can think of off the top of my head is World in My Eyes by Depeche Mode.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 9:34am
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:
It's certainly not one of my favorite songs, but I have always appreciated Lover's Rock because it's about pleasing a woman. Not very common in rock music.
And if any band other than the Clash were singing about that, I would’ve probably not felt oily hearing it.
Why is that? Is it because, like me, you don't think of the Clash as sexual beings? :lol:

I'm trying to think of other songs in popular music that are about pleasing women, and the only other one I can think of off the top of my head is World in My Eyes by Depeche Mode.
Flesh for Fantasy - Billy Idol :shifty:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 10:03am
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:

EW
Got a Rake? Sure!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 10:18am
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:
JennyB wrote:

EW
Earthquake Weather is just one love song about pleasing women. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 10:20am
JennyB wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 10:18am
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Wolter wrote:

EW
Earthquake Weather is just one love song about pleasing women. :mrgreen:
:naughty: :lol:
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Excellent song about the politics of pleasing a woman:

(Also, I so love that bass line.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 10:46am
Excellent song about the politics of pleasing a woman:

(Also, I so love that bass line.)
I meant by men. I should have clarified! I agree though, excellent.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Glad to see you mentioning this band, and this album -- one of the great overlooked platters of the era, in my humble opinion. I remember it getting a rave review in Mother Jones, back in the day. (They also gave a positive shout out to Lover's Rock, too, in their 1981 profile of the Clash, as I recall.)

It's interesting that, of all the picks referenced here, most focus on the Sandinista/CR era. No surprises there, given that this is where some of the wiggiest stuff pops up -- though I've always dug Hitsville UK. It was one that stood out right off when I got Sandinista, though I like it mainly for the subject matter.

Same for Paul's "Ringo" song, Crooked Beat -- and, for that matter, Lover's Rock, which tackle themes not commonly referenced by major bands. Though, actually, the last coda of LR is the coolest part -- it kicks the song into a higher gear, at least for me, anyway.

My list would include the kiddie sung-Career Opportunities -- I found it odd that, five albums in, that the boys found it necessary to revisit, in that way -- plus most of the Combat Rock-era B-sides.

Not First Night, though -- again, I like the vibe of it -- while Long Time Jerk sounds pleasant enough, but never made any real impression on my ears. Cool Confusion annoys me the most, because it seems little more than a showcase for all those bleeping and blurping synth sound effects that were so in vogue back then.

I'd also add Overpowered By Funk, which struck me as a paler, weaker retreading of a genre and/or riff explored to far better effect on The Magnificent Seven, and Lightning Strikes. Sean Flynn? Works well enough as a mood piece, though honestly, not a song I've gone back to a lot.

SISOSIG? Always better live. I've never been particularly enamored of the fuzz bass line, another one of those self-consciously cool 'n' cutting edge tendencies that dates itself oh so quickly, and one major reason why Combat Rock is the album I go back to the least.

Red Angel Dragnet? Should have gone with the Ranking Roger version, as his delivery sounds far better suited to the vibe of the song. Whereas Paul sounds like he's reading the lyrics off a sheet for the first time ever -- which maybe he was, who knows? :mrgreen:

Surprised no one has mentioned Atom Tan and Innoculated City -- both have some great lyrics marred by the above tendencies I've cited already. AT has a repetitive, herky-jerky riff that never goes anywhere, which it's never grabbed my attention.

IC fares better musically, to my ears, though I always found the inclusion of 2000 Flushes commercial gratuitous, and a bit forced, as well. Even if it marks one of the first times that any major band did something along those lines.
Last edited by Chairman Ralph on 05 Aug 2019, 12:29am, edited 1 time in total.

ohsoso
Dirty Punk

Post by ohsoso »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 10:30pm
Red Angel Dragnet? Should have gone with the Ranking Roger version, as his delivery sounds far better suited to the vibe of the song. Whereas Paul sounds like he's reading the lyrics off a sheet for the first time ever -- which maybe he was, who knows? :mrgreen:
ye, it was a nice gesture/blessing when we got them ranking roger takes. might have never surfaced...

also, do like the remixes/versions of brixton where paul really has that demo sound.