Bernie's book

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Rie: Bernie's book

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 2:01pm
Have to say outwardly the chemistry of the final line up looked absolutely spot on to me. I thought Tymon was an inspired addition and gave them a new dimension that elevated them beyond the previous set up. Live, they were simply fantastic. I never did give much thought into the internal dynamics, just assumed they were all one big happy family!
Yeah I liked Tymon in the line-up. However Martin and Scott did an awful lot. So I can imagine Joe not wanting to lose either of them.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 2:41pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Have to say outwardly the chemistry of the final line up looked absolutely spot on to me. I thought Tymon was an inspired addition and gave them a new dimension that elevated them beyond the previous set up. Live, they were simply fantastic. I never did give much thought into the internal dynamics, just assumed they were all one big happy family!
Yeah I liked Tymon in the line-up. However Martin and Scott did an awful lot. So I can imagine Joe not wanting to lose either of them.
Oh for sure, Slatto was more or less musical director and Scott his deputy so they were clearly the main men in the equation. Again, just speculating here, but I wouldn't find it difficult to imagine Tymon just knocking it on the head if he didn't feel his input was being valued enough. Not sure if it would have come to that, though.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Low Down Low wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 3:08pm
Marky Dread wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 2:41pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Oh for sure, Slatto was more or less musical director and Scott his deputy so they were clearly the main men in the equation. Again, just speculating here, but I wouldn't find it difficult to imagine Tymon just knocking it on the head if he didn't feel his input was being valued enough. Not sure if it would have come to that, though.
I would like to think they could've worked out any differences.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Re: Bernie's book

Post by appleseed1 »

Whatever the dynamics were within that last line-up of the band, it's worth noting that a few years later Tymon released an absolute ace of a single. I love all three tracks. https://www.discogs.com/master/2371459- ... Guantanamo

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

appleseed1 wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 5:54pm
Whatever the dynamics were within that last line-up of the band, it's worth noting that a few years later Tymon released an absolute ace of a single. I love all three tracks. https://www.discogs.com/master/2371459- ... Guantanamo
I'm sure I had download of that can't find it though. But wherever it is I agree it's very good.

I have that compilation of his stuff. His albums are not so easy to find.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Marky Dread wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 1:50pm
IkarisOne wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 1:22pm
msza2 wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 7:59am
Low Down Low wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 8:40pm
Kory wrote:
09 Nov 2022, 8:01pm

Was this from an interview? I hadn't heard about Tymon's impending dismissal.
I was a bit curious to read in the Pat Gilbert Mojo piece that there was some tension between Tymon and other members of the band, but I can't recall ever hearing or reading anything about his imminent sacking.
I remember reading (where, I don't recall) that after Joe died Martin and Scott shut out Tymon while they finished Streetcore. Notice Tymon is nowhere to be found on it except for Silver & Gold, which was a Global outtake M&S were initially reluctant to include but relented at Luce's insistence.

I had also never heard about any tension between Joe and Tymon.
I dont think it was with Joe, it was the other two. I think it might be touched on in Visions of a Homeland but it was definitely being discussed at Strummer News and Tim's old board at the time.
So Joe wasn't exactly fixing to can his old friend but didn't want the other two be at loggerheads with Tymon.

In fairness Slattery and Shields would've been a far greater loss to the Mescaleros as they were both amazing multi-instrumentalists in my opinion.

Do you think that's a fair comment CK?
Well, the decision would have been Joe's and the scuttlebutt was that he was leaning in that direction. I think it would have been suicidal because Tymon was the catalyst that made that band magic. There are other stories from that time as well but Inder will be very cross with me if I divulge.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

IkarisOne wrote:
10 Nov 2022, 6:42pm
Marky Dread wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
msza2 wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I was a bit curious to read in the Pat Gilbert Mojo piece that there was some tension between Tymon and other members of the band, but I can't recall ever hearing or reading anything about his imminent sacking.
I remember reading (where, I don't recall) that after Joe died Martin and Scott shut out Tymon while they finished Streetcore. Notice Tymon is nowhere to be found on it except for Silver & Gold, which was a Global outtake M&S were initially reluctant to include but relented at Luce's insistence.

I dont think it was with Joe, it was the other two. I think it might be touched on in Visions of a Homeland but it was definitely being discussed at Strummer News and Tim's old board at the time.
So Joe wasn't exactly fixing to can his old friend but didn't want the other two be at loggerheads with Tymon.

In fairness Slattery and Shields would've been a far greater loss to the Mescaleros as they were both amazing multi-instrumentalists in my opinion.

Well, the decision would have been Joe's and the scuttlebutt was that he was leaning in that direction. I think it would have been suicidal because Tymon was the catalyst that made that band magic. There are other stories from that time as well but Inder will be very cross with me if I divulge.
So let Inder be cross. Some beans need to be spilled.😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

IkarisOne wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
msza2 wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

I always got an uneasy feeling about how the rest of the band viewed Tymon. During the Let's rock again film (I think in the extras more than the main feature) there does seem to be a bit of a pisstaking attitude towards Tymon. I got the impression that Tymon was brought in because he was one of Joe's oldest mates and was never accepted fully in to the mescaleros.
I saw him do a short set at the strummer memorial recently and he didn't do anything I recognized however it was a great set!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

My periodic check reveals that Amazon, like Charlie Brown running at the football, has once again automatically rescheduled it to the end of the year; the publisher still has no mention of it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

A judge told Kansas authorities to destroy electronic copies of newspaper's files taken during raid

Attorney Bernie Rhodes, who represents the newspaper, said a judge ordered authorities to hand over those electronic records and destroy any copies they have of them along with all photographs that officers took during the raids.

The local prosecutor and sheriff agreed investigators shouldn't keep that evidence, but Rhodes insisted on a court order to document it. It won't be clear what files were on the drive until Rhodes gets a copy.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/a-judge-to ... -1.6540370
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 5:32pm
A judge told Kansas authorities to destroy electronic copies of newspaper's files taken during raid

Attorney Bernie Rhodes, who represents the newspaper, said a judge ordered authorities to hand over those electronic records and destroy any copies they have of them along with all photographs that officers took during the raids.

The local prosecutor and sheriff agreed investigators shouldn't keep that evidence, but Rhodes insisted on a court order to document it. It won't be clear what files were on the drive until Rhodes gets a copy.
Attachments
20230830_230503.jpg

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 6:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Aug 2023, 5:32pm

Gadzooks!

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

"Supporters of the small Kansas newspaper can now order T-shirts emblazoned with the Marion County Record's defiant headline "SEIZED but not silenced" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

motorsmell wrote:
17 Dec 2022, 6:12am
IkarisOne wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
msza2 wrote:

I always got an uneasy feeling about how the rest of the band viewed Tymon. During the Let's rock again film (I think in the extras more than the main feature) there does seem to be a bit of a pisstaking attitude towards Tymon. I got the impression that Tymon was brought in because he was one of Joe's oldest mates and was never accepted fully in to the mescaleros.
I saw him do a short set at the strummer memorial recently and he didn't do anything I recognized however it was a great set!
I think about this every time I listen to Global now. What was the real deal, I wonder? Was Tymon hard to get along with or something? It's not like Luke or Simon were original members either...
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Kory wrote:
21 Dec 2023, 5:06pm
motorsmell wrote:
17 Dec 2022, 6:12am
IkarisOne wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

I think about this every time I listen to Global now. What was the real deal, I wonder? Was Tymon hard to get along with or something? It's not like Luke or Simon were original members deaeither...
My idea of Tymon is of a guy buzzing with creative ideas and determined to bring them to the set-up wherever possible which may have led to tension with the Martin/Scott axis when it came to working up new material. Neither Luke nor Simon would have been encroaching on their territory in any way. Obviously this is all highly speculative. Some kind of generational thing going on too perhaps?