‘Yauch taught Mick Jones how to play Clash City Rockers’

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: ‘Yauch taught Mick Jones how to play Clash City Rockers’

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 6:03pm
Kory wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 5:14pm
It's so weird how much Lydon harps on about hating the Clash but it seems like he hung out with them plenty.
He was in the Medicine Show video, wasn't he, along with Joe and Paul?
Yeah, and all the photos look like they were having a swell time.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

It's so weird how much Lydon harps on about hating the Clash but it seems like he hung out with them plenty.
Funnily enough, I remember asking John about that same subject, back when No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs came out, but in a different context.

I asked if there wasn't a slight disconnect between the guy who 'd worn that I HATE PINK FLOYD T-shirt, and the one I'd seen pictured in Q recently, hanging out with Dave Gilmour. He responded that it was perfectly possible for him to hang out like that, with anybody, even if he didn't like their music. So I assume that would apply to the Clash and its members, too.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 7:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Which is why the snarky things he's said about Joe since he died come off as especially shitty.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 7:15pm
Funnily enough, I remember asking John about that same subject, back when No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs came out, but in a different context.

I asked if there wasn't a slight disconnect between the guy who 'd worn that I HATE PINK FLOYD T-shirt, and the one I'd seen pictured in Q recently, hanging out with Dave Gilmour. He responded that it was perfectly possible for him to hang out like that, with anybody, even if he didn't like their music. So I assume that would apply to the Clash and its members, too.
In other words, he loves being a celebrity and hanging out with celebrities and feeling elite.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 7:18pm
In other words, he loves being a celebrity and hanging out with celebrities and feeling elite.
i get it - it's the same feeling you all get when i post here and there's nothing wrong with that.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 7:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
i get it - it's the same feeling you all get when i post here and there's nothing wrong with that.
It's like hanging out with a third-rate Pauly Shore.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
And then in the early '90s, BAD II and PiL were on the 120 Minutes tour together.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 8:23pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You could save 13 keystrokes and just say “with Pauly Shore.”
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
PIL was also on the 120 Minutes Tour with BAD II. ETA - i didn't read the thread before I posted this and missed Briggy's post.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 11:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Oct 2018, 8:23pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
You could save 13 keystrokes and just say “with Pauly Shore.”
I thought it important to let everyone know that Flex isn't as good as even a second-rate Pauly Shore, but to give him a smidgeon of dignity by allowing that he's better than a fourth-rate Pauly Shore. Maybe I'm too generous with the last, but I'll handle the criticism.

Hammy
Dirty Punk

Post by Hammy »

it was always kinda mind-blowing how crap Mike D always looked...oh well
for the record, I know someone who got invited back (with a group of people)
to Lydon's house after a pub session (Chelsea)
she doesn't know squat about music but she insisted he was a lovely guy!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
John was always friends with Paul. And he is kind about Mick.

It's only Joe he had a problem with. When he mentions the Clash he means Joe and the bands music. And the stuff about Joe however biting it may seem in an interview is not really bitter but just bIanter. I don't think a lot of Americans (not all) ever get this about the English we like giving each other stick and taking the piss. A lot of what seems like baiting is only banter.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 3:07pm
Kory wrote:

It's only Joe he had a problem with. When he mentions the Clash he means Joe and the bands music. And the stuff about Joe however biting it may seem in an interview is not really bitter but just bIanter. I don't think a lot of Americans (not all) ever get this about the English we like giving each other stick and taking the piss. A lot of what seems like baiting is only banter.
Yeah he's even said some things about missing Joe over the years.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

I saw an unguarded interview on YouTube a while back with some fans after a gig and he was really quite cutting about Strummer and it seemed sad and unnecessary. I honestly think he is jealous of the way the Clash's legend has risen over the years, maybe not to surpass the Pistols, but to put them on an equal footing.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
23 Oct 2018, 6:36pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:

I saw an unguarded interview on YouTube a while back with some fans after a gig and he was really quite cutting about Strummer and it seemed sad and unnecessary. I honestly think he is jealous of the way the Clash's legend has risen over the years, maybe not to surpass the Pistols, but to put them on an equal footing.
I've not seen that interview. But it really doesn't surprise me in the least. It's very tiresome and John is like a caricature of his former self these days.

I know John has never liked The Clash's music just like he hates The Beatles music. I know he had a thing about Joe coming from a priveledged background and then think's somehow he gave Joe a career. Which is total nonsense really sure Joe took inspiration from seeing the Pistols but he had a fucking big heart and courage to make that jump into the unknown. Like I said to doc in another thread I'm happy with the music and I don't have to care about the person letting me down. Plus there were five Sex Pistols.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia