1st Album

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

1st Album

Post by white man »

One for the musicians on here. When playing guitar along to the titular album i seem to be a semi-tone or half a semitone too low. Then when i switch to the other albums, or any album for that matter, back in tune. Is the first album out of tune. Thank you very much. :shifty:

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: 1st Album

Post by Heston »

white man wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 7:56am
One for the musicians on here. When playing guitar along to the titular album i seem to be a semi-tone or half a semitone too low. Then when i switch to the other albums, or any album for that matter, back in tune. Is the first album out of tune. Thank you very much. :shifty:
Can't say I've ever noticed that, only on Remote Control, which suggests it was varispeeded in the studio. Death Or Glory is another Clash song which is between keys, probably sped up to add a bit of zip at a later point.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Heston wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 9:41am
white man wrote:
Can't say I've ever noticed that, only on Remote Control, which suggests it was varispeeded in the studio. Death Or Glory is another Clash song which is between keys, probably sped up to add a bit of zip at a later point.
Have another go mate with the original, not Sound System though.

Heston

Post by Heston »

white man wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 6:43pm
Heston wrote:
white man wrote:
Are you talking vinyl or digital? I had a play along earlier to the '99 CD reissue and it seemed fine. Before I played along I tuned my guitar to the opening E chord of Tommy Gun to make sure it was bang in tune.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Heston wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 6:48pm
white man wrote:
Heston wrote:
white man wrote:
Are you talking vinyl or digital? I had a play along earlier to the '99 CD reissue and it seemed fine. Before I played along I tuned my guitar to the opening E chord of Tommy Gun to make sure it was bang in tune.
Original Vinyl, Tape(never a good guide)or first digital copies.

Heston

Post by Heston »

white man wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 7:21pm
Heston wrote:
white man wrote:
Heston wrote:
white man wrote:
Honestly can't recall any issues and this is from playing along to the album back in the 80s on every format available.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Heston wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 7:26pm
white man wrote:
02 Apr 2019, 7:21pm
Heston wrote:
white man wrote:
Heston wrote:

Honestly can't recall any issues and this is from playing along to the album back in the 80s on every format available.
I'm going to delve deeper tomorrow

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I'm not a musician not even close. But I do know why the album sounds the way it does. The album was recorded with very old valve mikes the only Clash album that was. The album was produced by Mickey Foote and overseen by engineer Simon Humphrey. Mick uses a Gibson and Gibson's are notorious for going out of tune very quickly this is due to a design fault where the strings at the head stock bend towards the left and the right as opposed to being straight to the tuning pegs hardware.

No separation was used either and the band were just allowed to get on with their sound as they wished to.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

geraldmanns
Dirty Punk

Post by geraldmanns »

Marky Dread wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 8:30pm
I'm not a musician not even close. But I do know why the album sounds the way it does. The album was recorded with very old valve mikes the only Clash album that was. The album was produced by Mickey Foote and overseen by engineer Simon Humphrey. Mick uses a Gibson and Gibson's are notorious for going out of tune very quickly this is due to a design fault where the strings at the head stock bend towards the left and the right as opposed to being straight to the tuning pegs hardware.

No separation was used either and the band were just allowed to get on with their sound as they wished to.
Sorry Marky, I am a musician and the Gibson's hardware has nothing to do with the key the first album is in. I just checked the whole album (the Clash Songbook tells me the chords) and when I play along it is absolutely in key and tune. So...
I got my motorcycle jacket but I‘m walking all the time

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Maybe it's your turntable, wm?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

geraldmanns wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 1:58pm
Marky Dread wrote:

Sorry Marky, I am a musician and the Gibson's hardware has nothing to do with the key the first album is in. I just checked the whole album (the Clash Songbook tells me the chords) and when I play along it is absolutely in key and tune. So...
Fair enough mate I will happily bow to your superior knowledge. I was wondering if intonation could cause a problem. The sound of the recording process as I stated above is all true. The info regards the Gibson's is also factual but I will certainly believe you regards to the right key/tuning etc. White Man did state he played along to vinyl and cd so is it more likely a localised problem with his guitar?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

geraldmanns
Dirty Punk

Post by geraldmanns »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 3:01pm
geraldmanns wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Fair enough mate I will happily bow to your superior knowledge. I was wondering if intonation could cause a problem. The sound of the recording process as I stated above is all true. The info regards the Gibson's is also factual but I will certainly believe you regards to the right key/tuning etc. White Man did state he played along to vinyl and cd so is it more likely a localised problem with his guitar?
Nah, don't think so. Maybe with his tuner, but I don't believe it. Anyone who's got a guitar knows how to tune it (even Gibsons). I give it a try tomorrow with my ancient vinyl (I tried it with the remastered CD). Perhaps this was varispeeded.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

geraldmanns wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 3:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Apr 2019, 3:01pm
geraldmanns wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Nah, don't think so. Maybe with his tuner, but I don't believe it. Anyone who's got a guitar knows how to tune it (even Gibsons). I give it a try tomorrow with my ancient vinyl (I tried it with the remastered CD). Perhaps this was varispeeded.
The varispeeding was something I thought about also. I remember the complaints when the first cd issue came out and people saying it sounded nothing like the vinyl. Bizarre if that first vinyl pressing was varispeeded as they sacked Mickey Foote for doing just that with the Clash City Rockers 7''. Please report back your findings mate it's all fascinating stuff.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
white man wrote:
Fuck, is this why LITS sounds kind of off when I play bass along with it?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

geraldmanns
Dirty Punk

Post by geraldmanns »

OK, I first checked my record player with one of the vinyls of my band to see if the turntable speed is accurate. And it is. Now, the first album, bought in 1978 (english pressing). Played along to every song, checking the chords from Clash Songbook and... apart from Remote Control (which is a quarter of a tone too low) every song is perfect in tune. Remote Control seems to be varispeeded a bit slower (for what reasons ever). But the rest of the album is in tune.