Vanilla Tapes Question

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Vanilla Tapes Question

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
22 May 2019, 2:44pm
Heston wrote:
22 May 2019, 8:33am
The only thing we've heard is an alternate version of Rudie Can't Fail which came with Uncut(?) magazine.
I think I missed this. Just an alt take? Don't see it on youtube.
I may be mistaken but I think Marky had it on his expanded LC a while back.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
22 May 2019, 3:31pm
Man, after all the time we spent berating Johnny Green for leaving the tapes on the tube, nobody really cares about them now. Fickle humans.
The thing is, if they had the master tapes they could have cleaned it up, remixed it properly etc, but I think they just had a stereo copy to work with. The quality isn't the best.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
22 May 2019, 3:31pm
Man, after all the time we spent berating Johnny Green for leaving the tapes on the tube, nobody really cares about them now. Fickle humans.
We were in it for the berating, as per always.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I gave the Vanilla Tapes some spins recently and I really dug the low Fi vibe. Great tunage for a lazy Sunday morning.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Heston wrote:
22 May 2019, 1:09pm
jnadams99 wrote:
22 May 2019, 8:57am
I was just curious if the 16 repeated tracks sounded the same or if there were noticeable differences. Its very likely none of us know, but with all of the bootlegs floating around, I was wondering if someone here had heard them. That's all.
Maybe TeddyB has heard them as he is a friend of Mick but no one else on here has heard them.
Yes, I’ve heard them. All the songs are represented on the released version. Some are earlier versions of the songs, and not as well recorded, and some are instrumental. I do really like the guitar on one version of “Police Came in 4 Jazz” but clearly the best versions have been chosen for the rest. Maybe they’ll put some of the alternates out for LC 40 to show the progression?

Admittedly, my favorite tracks are the unreleased ones... Lonesome Me, Soweto, the Dylan cover. Great version of Remote Control too. But of course the whole thing is very interesting.
Last edited by TeddyB Not Logged In on 22 May 2019, 5:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heston

Post by Heston »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
22 May 2019, 5:38pm
Heston wrote:
jnadams99 wrote:
I was just curious if the 16 repeated tracks sounded the same or if there were noticeable differences. Its very likely none of us know, but with all of the bootlegs floating around, I was wondering if someone here had heard them. That's all.
Maybe TeddyB has heard them as he is a friend of Mick but no one else on here has heard them.
Yes, I’ve heard them. All the songs are represented on the released version. Some are earlier versions of the songs, and not as well recorded, and some are instrumental. I do really like the guitar on one version of “Police Came in 4 Jazz” but clearly the best versions have been chosen for the rest. Maybe they’ll put some of the alternates out for LC 40 to show the progression?
I would like this very much. Has the LC40 been confirmed, Teddy?

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Heston wrote:
22 May 2019, 5:40pm
Heston wrote:
jnadams99 wrote:
Not sure I’d say “confirmed” but I would expect it.

Heston

Post by Heston »

22 May 2019, 5:41pm
Heston wrote:
Heston wrote:
jnadams99 wrote:
Roll on Christmas. :approve:

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Flex wrote:
22 May 2019, 5:17pm
I gave the Vanilla Tapes some spins recently and I really dug the low Fi vibe. Great tunage for a lazy Sunday morning.
Copy that. I listen to it with some regularity and dig it quite a bit, and not just for its historical importance. Besides the unreleased tracks (of which "Heart and Mind" is especially appealing and I think is actually from the CoL or even GEER sessions), Mick's guitar is especially brutal on "Hateful" and "Working and Waiting" (i.e. "Clampdown").
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

22 May 2019, 5:41pm
Heston wrote:
Heston wrote:
jnadams99 wrote:
Great stuff. Please can you ask Mick to get Marky Dread at the controls?

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Heston wrote:
22 May 2019, 3:38pm
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
The only thing we've heard is an alternate version of Rudie Can't Fail which came with Uncut(?) magazine.
I’m pretty sure the Uncut freebie cd just used the same recording, but in a different mix- wider stereo, more trebly or something. Nothing radically different
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Heston

Post by Heston »

JohnS wrote:
23 May 2019, 12:08pm
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
I’m pretty sure the Uncut freebie cd just used the same recording, but in a different mix- wider stereo, more trebly or something. Nothing radically different
Yeah, confirmed earlier it was a different mix rather than take. I haven't heard it for a while but I remember it being different enough to notice.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
23 May 2019, 12:42pm
JohnS wrote:
23 May 2019, 12:08pm
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
Yeah, confirmed earlier it was a different mix rather than take. I haven't heard it for a while but I remember it being different enough to notice.
I don't like Joe's silly vocal "don't give me none of that it!"
I remixed and removed that vocal in a version I recently shared with you.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

For the 25th anniversary of London Calling, I would have preferred a nice live concert recorded professionally instead of the Vanilla Tapes. However I understand the right curiosity of jnadams99, all collectors are curious.
Music is the only thing that matters

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I think the Vanilla Tapes are great. I like the work in progress aspect it provides. Already plenty of decent live performances available. The only live show I think we all want is Lewisham.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia