Vanilla Tapes Question

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
The Baker
Dirty Punk

Re: Vanilla Tapes Question

Post by The Baker »

I thought I had read somewhere that the tape that Johnny Green lost in the subway after he fell asleep was from a different session than on the cassette that Mick found while cleaning out his garage. Anyways, I’ve been on this forum long enough to remember the sheer anticipation everyone on here had when it was announced that the Vanilla Tapes would be included on the London Calling Legacy Edition - everyone was revved up for release day! Totally agree that it would be amazing if the entire Lewisham multitrack recording got released on a LC 40th anniversary edition - imagine the anticipation on here if that were to happen!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

The Baker wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 10:02am
I thought I had read somewhere that the tape that Johnny Green lost in the subway after he fell asleep was from a different session than on the cassette that Mick found while cleaning out his garage. Anyways, I’ve been on this forum long enough to remember the sheer anticipation everyone on here had when it was announced that the Vanilla Tapes would be included on the London Calling Legacy Edition - everyone was revved up for release day! Totally agree that it would be amazing if the entire Lewisham multitrack recording got released on a LC 40th anniversary edition - imagine the anticipation on here if that were to happen!
Would be awesome.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

I can't believe that the LC Legacy / Vanilla Tapes release will be 15 years ago this year!!
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

JohnS wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 8:56pm
I can't believe that the LC Legacy / Vanilla Tapes release will be 15 years ago this year!!
Yikes.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

The Baker wrote:
Would very much like a full DVD release of that, but I understand that we've already seen everything they filmed. A damn shame, that...I'd really like to see more live footage.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

Kory wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 1:37pm
The Baker wrote:
Would very much like a full DVD release of that, but I understand that we've already seen everything they filmed. A damn shame, that...I'd really like to see more live footage.
Completely agree Kory on Lewisham.

Is my recollection right that after all the hype for the Vanilla Tapes it was a bit of a damp squib?
Joining the Street Parade

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

deny wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 3:10pm
Kory wrote:
The Baker wrote:

Is my recollection right that after all the hype for the Vanilla Tapes it was a bit of a damp squib?
The opinion around here seems to be that it's nice to have them, but they don't get listened to very often. Much like any other demos!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

They were much rougher than I thought they'd be. It's a shame they never had the original multitrack tape to work with. What was released was obviously a copy that had been ran off and sounded worn and damaged in places.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 4:45pm
They were much rougher than I thought they'd be. It's a shame they never had the original multitrack tape to work with. What was released was obviously a copy that had been ran off and sounded worn and damaged in places.
What sort of gear were they using to record in the rehearsal space? I always assumed it was just a two-track tape system.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 6:15pm
Heston wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 4:45pm
What sort of gear were they using to record in the rehearsal space? I always assumed it was just a two-track tape system.
TEAC 4 track lent to them by Bob Pridden, the Who's sound guy.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

deny wrote:
Kory wrote:
The Baker wrote:

I wouldn’t say damp squid, it was great at the time but once the dust settled it is what it is, interesting and great to have but as He’s said due to sound maybe not the Holy Grail we dreamt of.

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 6:49pm
deny wrote:
Kory wrote:
The Baker wrote:

I wouldn’t say damp squid, it was great at the time but once the dust settled it is what it is, interesting and great to have but as He’s said due to sound maybe not the Holy Grail we dreamt of.
You're obsessed with seafood.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 6:52pm
101Walterton wrote:
deny wrote:
Kory wrote:
The Baker wrote:

Auto correct in my phone knows what it is doing 😂

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 6:59pm
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
deny wrote:
Kory wrote:

Love Krills.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Marky Dread wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 4:15am
101Walterton wrote:
15 Jul 2019, 6:59pm
Heston wrote:
101Walterton wrote:
deny wrote:
Love Krills.
Skate-ful (or Cheap-skates, Skates of the West, Skate to Hell..)
London Trawling
Revolution Rock (Salmon)
White(bait) Riot
Police on my Mack(erel)
and my fave...
Sean Fin !!

(yes, having a quiet day here)
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres