A Tasty #eetweek Treat

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: A Tasty #eetweek Treat

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 3:28pm
Joe spoke about taking out an ad in the music press. About boycotting the release of CtC and re-recording the whole thing. This didn't happen and he chose to run away to Spain instead.

If Joe felt so strongly about CtC being a mess why didn't he take the re-recording option and restore some faith to the name of The Clash instead of leaving it to be the final hurrah.
Money? If Joe hated the album that much, why else would he release it? He would have had to owe Sony back the advance. Instead, he broke up the group and told the press he hated it so the fans wouldn't nevessarily purchase it? He didn't have a lot of good options.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I think he believed in Bernie's Future-Punk thing, at least initially.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 10:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Joe spoke about taking out an ad in the music press. About boycotting the release of CtC and re-recording the whole thing. This didn't happen and he chose to run away to Spain instead.

If Joe felt so strongly about CtC being a mess why didn't he take the re-recording option and restore some faith to the name of The Clash instead of leaving it to be the final hurrah.
Money? If Joe hated the album that much, why else would he release it? He would have had to owe Sony back the advance. Instead, he broke up the group and told the press he hated it so the fans wouldn't nevessarily purchase it? He didn't have a lot of good options.
Yep I see it as finance over credibility. But this was the name of The Clash being dragged through the mud.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 4:20am
Marky Dread wrote:

Yep I see it as finance over credibility. But this was the name of The Clash being dragged through the mud.
I suppose when you're that close to it you might not think of it that way until it's in hindsight.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 12:51pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I suppose when you're that close to it you might not think of it that way until it's in hindsight.
I think that is possibly true mate. Joe was clearly affected by the need to make this new version of the band work. Yet I suspect he knew the old magic was gone.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

Marky Dread wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 1:49pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I think that is possibly true mate. Joe was clearly affected by the need to make this new version of the band work. Yet I suspect he knew the old magic was gone.
He often cited that the magic went when Topper was sacked. My understanding was it was only Mick who wanted to stand by Topper?
Joining the Street Parade

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

deny wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 1:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

He often cited that the magic went when Topper was sacked. My understanding was it was only Mick who wanted to stand by Topper?
I think so mate. Mick invited Topper to join T.R.A.C.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

deny wrote:
28 Jun 2019, 1:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Paul was fairly passive on this, as the story goes, I think.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc