A Tasty #eetweek Treat

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Tasty #eetweek Treat

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 2:36pm
Kory wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 1:33pm
sonnyburnit wrote:
13 Jun 2019, 12:40am
Why anyone would want to listen to that hunk of shit is beyond me... might as well remaster a wet fart that turns into explosive diarrhea. Oi Oi Oy Vey!!!
I daresay you're missing the point of EET WEEK
It's not that bad either.
This is totally valid.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Flex wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 4:52pm
Kory wrote:
12 Jun 2019, 4:47pm
Thank you Flexington. Any standout thoughts from somebody that's lived with them for some time?
On CtC specifically, some of the shitty sound I had attributed to the mix is more likely down to a bright, compressed master. Which doesn't make the base material good in any sense, but you can crank it up a bit more and really dig into the drum machine and terrace chants. A substantial improvement on the remaster that includes Do It Now as a bonus track (I haven't heard an original vinyl or any other CD pressings of CtC).
Massive kudos, Flexington.

The vinyl mastering on CTC is some of the worst ever heard. CBS almost certainly didn't care at that point and didn't want to waste any more money on those mooks. The reissue mastering is much better and this is much better still. It almost sounds like a real album.

It reminds me of the original vinyl of Damaged. I remember sitting in Jerry's Kids practice room with all kinds of BHC luminaries since we were all very excited about it. We listened to it on a very high-end stereo system. And it was one of the absolute worst mastering jobs ever, even by the extremely low standards of hardcore. Everyone was extremely disappointed.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Jesus-- you can actually hear Joe on Cool Under Heat.

The guitars still sound like shit, but still.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

How many listeners noped out of Cut the Crap halfway through Dictator? I'd say at least half.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

IkarisOne wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 7:18pm
How many listeners noped out of Cut the Crap halfway through Dictator? I'd say at least half.
I hate quitters.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 7:23pm
IkarisOne wrote:
I hate quitters.
I was mesmerized, but in that "Do you think OJ will blow his head off in the Bronco?" kind of way. Mind you, if I had been fully versed in the Clash catalogue when I'd first heard it, I might have shut it off. But even as a Top 40 dork, I knew it was horrible.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 7:33pm
Kory wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
I hate quitters.
I was mesmerized, but in that "Do you think OJ will blow his head off in the Bronco?" kind of way. Mind you, if I had been fully versed in the Clash catalogue when I'd first heard it, I might have shut it off. But even as a Top 40 dork, I knew it was horrible.
I think Joe and Bernie had more than a bit of folie a deux going on in that German basement...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

IkarisOne wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 7:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
I hate quitters.
I think Joe and Bernie had more than a bit of folie a deux going on in that German basement...
Take a guy who is driven to manipulating people and someone suffering clinical depression, the likelihood of resulting in inspiring art is low. That Bernie sees some future vindication in that album is bonkers; it's evidence of abuse.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 7:44pm
IkarisOne wrote:
14 Jun 2019, 7:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
I hate quitters.
Take a guy who is driven to manipulating people and someone suffering clinical depression, the likelihood of resulting in inspiring art is low. That Bernie sees some future vindication in that album is bonkers; it's evidence of abuse.
I don't like to spend too much time thinking about Bernie but there's probably a precise term for what's wrong with him in the DSM-5. Joe, sadly, was rather clearly bipolar. Unfortunately, people didn't really take these things into account back in the day.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

I actually like Dictator, it was dirty Punk and We are the Clash that really turned me off. I also like Are you Ready

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

having my morning coffee, surfing the web and listening to CTC, it's really not THAT bad, I mean it was when if first came out but 35 years later it's really not that bab. Three card Trick is a good tune and this Japanese mastering is the best I've ever heard it

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

coffeepotman wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 11:24am
having my morning coffee, surfing the web and listening to CTC, it's really not THAT bad, I mean it was when if first came out but 35 years later it's really not that bab. Three card Trick is a good tune and this Japanese mastering is the best I've ever heard it
TCT, TIE and NaS are excellent in my books. Dictator really has grown on me, Are You Red...y and Movers and Shakers are solid tracks. Fingerpoppin is bearable, as is Dirty Punk. The verses to We Are The Clash are good. I'm not a fan of Cool Under Heat, Play To Win and Life Is Wild but they're the only tracks I dislike. It's really not that bad. Even Sex Mad War is ok with me.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Oh and Do It Now is pretty funky.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

BitterTom wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 12:49pm
coffeepotman wrote:
15 Jun 2019, 11:24am
TCT, TIE and NaS are excellent in my books. Dictator really has grown on me, Are You Red...y and Movers and Shakers are solid tracks. Fingerpoppin is bearable, as is Dirty Punk. The verses to We Are The Clash are good. I'm not a fan of Cool Under Heat, Play To Win and Life Is Wild but they're the only tracks I dislike. It's really not that bad. Even Sex Mad War is ok with me.
Heh- Life is Wild is probably my favorite track. I think Joe's hooky instincts were stronger for some of the post-tour material but his musical dyslexia defeats him time and again. Shame too. If there were an actual producer on hand- one with basic arrangement skills-- I think a lot of it might have squeaked through the incompetence barrier.

ohsoso
Dirty Punk

Post by ohsoso »

oi, going full on with the redux version now. tiny drunk, but gonna try to be intellectual and work them lyrics. report back in 1h.
and try to remember them great nostalgic beautiful moments when they actually had fun making them chants.