A Tasty #eetweek Treat

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Kory
Unknown Immortal

Re: A Tasty #eetweek Treat

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 2:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 6:52pm
Marky Dread wrote:
26 Jun 2019, 5:42pm
Bernie gets all the flack. But I sincerely think Joe sabotaged his own record.
Two questions then:
1) Consciously?
2) Why would he do that?

I can perhaps appreciate his depression encouraging a loss of purpose and all, but it doesn't seem in character to release something that fans would think is a rip off. As much as he may have been engaging in a self-loathing at some level, I have a harder time believing he'd deliberately fuck over his fans.
1. Yes Joe knew the band couldn't cut the mustard.

2. Because Mick wasn't coming back.
This doesn't really explain the rationale. What did he hope to gain?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Two questions then:
1) Consciously?
2) Why would he do that?

I can perhaps appreciate his depression encouraging a loss of purpose and all, but it doesn't seem in character to release something that fans would think is a rip off. As much as he may have been engaging in a self-loathing at some level, I have a harder time believing he'd deliberately fuck over his fans.

So Joe was basically petty, everyone else be damned? Maybe, but that's a really harsh assessment of the man.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 3:01pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Two questions then:
1) Consciously?
2) Why would he do that?

This doesn't really explain the rationale. What did he hope to gain?
Nothing the game was up. Joe telling Johnny Green that the new band were terrible after a show. I can't believe Joe who loved music with a passion and was in love with rock n roll romantism would ever had given those crap sounding synth and electronic drums a go otherwise. Complete sabotage on those songs he had spent so long working up.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 3:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Two questions then:
1) Consciously?
2) Why would he do that?

So Joe was basically petty, everyone else be damned? Maybe, but that's a really harsh assessment of the man.
Is it really? I don't think so. Years later Joe said he hoped he hadn't fucked up the other guys too much. I mean Pete who was already a member of The Clash while Mick was still in the band hardly features on Cut the Crap.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I think Joe was feeling a bunch of contradictory stuff around that time, and realized he fucked up pretty bad as a leader and colleague after the fact, but no account Ive read suggests to me that in the moment he deliberately tried to sabotage the album. Mark II as a whole, maybe, in some desperate attempt to get out from under Bernie's thumb, but I think that came after the recording of the record.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Yeah, it's the deliberate aspect that I stumble over. He contributed mightily to the mess, but that he actively sought it to be a mess doesn't fit well with what we know about the man, even in that mental state.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 3:21pm
I think Joe was feeling a bunch of contradictory stuff around that time, and realized he fucked up pretty bad as a leader and colleague after the fact, but no account Ive read suggests to me that in the moment he deliberately tried to sabotage the album. Mark II as a whole, maybe, in some desperate attempt to get out from under Bernie's thumb, but I think that came after the recording of the record.
Adding those synths and so on doesn't seem to me to be a deliberate attempt to sabotage anything. Unconscious, certainly—even a desparate bid to catch up with the technology of the times, but it doesn't ring true as some kind of sick joke played on the fans in order to torpedo the band's legacy and be done with it.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Joe spoke about taking out an ad in the music press. About boycotting the release of CtC and re-recording the whole thing. This didn't happen and he chose to run away to Spain instead.

If Joe felt so strongly about CtC being a mess why didn't he take the re-recording option and restore some faith to the name of The Clash instead of leaving it to be the final hurrah.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 3:25pm
Flex wrote:
Adding those synths and so on doesn't seem to me to be a deliberate attempt to sabotage anything. Unconscious, certainly—even a desparate bid to catch up with the technology of the times, but it doesn't ring true as some kind of sick joke played on the fans in order to torpedo the band's legacy and be done with it.
I saw them live and they were getting it together considering the main songwriter had gone. But CtC is the most spectacular fall from grace of any band I can think of. I'm not saying the songs were bad they weren't but that production is a complete joke. Joe must've heard some if not all of it before it was released. I mean he was there in Munich.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Another couple of things that occur to me. Joe had no problem re-recording Rat Patrol to become Combat Rock. Joe also heard BAD and told Mick it was the biggest pile of crap he had ever heard. Yet people here are saying he wanted to use the new tech.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 3:25pm
Flex wrote:
From the books and docs and what not, I always thought he put full faith in Bernie's direction for CTC and more or less blindly followed him. I also think he had a bunch of contradictory feelings at the time, but convinced himself of Bernie's approach eventhough he probably knew better. When it failed miserably, it probably confirmed that voice in the back of his head.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 3:45pm
From the books and docs and what not, I always thought he put full faith in Bernie's direction for CTC and more or less blindly followed him. I also think he had a bunch of contradictory feelings at the time, but convinced himself of Bernie's approach eventhough he probably knew better. When it failed miserably, it probably confirmed that voice in the back of his head.
That last part is key for trying to understand the depressed mind. There's an expectation of failure because your head tells you you're a failure, and when it happens it "proves" that that sick part of brain is right. It proved he failed in letting Mick go, that he failed as a leader for the new band, and that he failed at creating a good record for the fans, and he deserved the scorn for the failures. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Never forget he shouted "Cuba!" when he heard an early mix of "Fingerpoppin."
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 4:08pm
He should've shouted "fuck is this shit!".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 4:11pm
Heston wrote:
27 Jun 2019, 4:08pm
He should've shouted "fuck is this shit!".
Fingerpoppin' makes Cool Confusion sound epic.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia