The Clash on Alright Now 1979

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: The Clash on Alright Now 1979

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 6:05am
I'm looking forward to getting these.
Some great musical guests over the two series. God knows why stuff like this is never repeated when you see the shite masquerading as entertainment on the telly these days.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 6:55am
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Aug 2019, 6:05am
I'm looking forward to getting these.
Some great musical guests over the two series. God knows why stuff like this is never repeated when you see the shite masquerading as entertainment on the telly these days.
Couldn't agree more mate.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 6:38pm
dave202 wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 11:51am
Chairman Ralph wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 12:28am
I've just checked and it's when they called themselves "Mott" after Ian Hunter left. A live performance of "Shouting and Pointing" from So It Goes in 1977. I can upload to YouTube if anyone is still interested, not sure how well-liked this version of the band is?
I wouldn't mind seeing it, as an arch-Ian Hunter/Mott fan who's interested in all the branches of the tree, so to speak. So you could do it for me. :mrgreen:

As to your question, the short answer is that it went the way it does with most bands who lose an iconic frontman -- making do with less public interest, and a lower profile, before it all dies a death. To my recollection, Mott got good live reviews, but both their albums were roundly panned in the music press. Shouting & Pointing holds the distinction of being the only Mott/MTH album that didn't trouble the US or UK charts -- ouch!

Still, for the curious, I'd recommend the Angel Air CD, the aptly-titled Live: Over Here & Over There, as the best way to experience Mott, over their two albums, which are hit and a fair proportion of miss. Career (No Such Thing As Rock 'N' Roll) is their best song, or at least the one that comes the closest to matching the glories of old. But I prefer the CD, which gives you harder-rocking chunks of shows from the US and UK (hence, the title).

The guys soldiered on as British Lions, and it's the same story. Their '78 S/T album is somewhat better -- mainly for the covers, Wild In The Streets, and International Heroes, plus a couple good "attitude" songs, like Eat The Rich -- I'd recommend another Angel Air CD, Live & Rare, a live and demo comp that gives you a clearer glimpse of the potential that struggled to find its way on tape. That's my take, anyway.
What do you think of the Doc Thomas Group album?
Haven't heard it, actually. If memory serves, they also regrouped to cut new songs, plus some of their old standbys -- for Angel Air, right? I wouldn't mind hearing that one, either. There's plenty of Mott offshoots worth pursuing, as far as I'm concerned.
The album came out on an Italian label in 1967, and I think Angel Air released it eventually in 2002. Stan Tippens was the singer, Mick Ralphs and Overend Watts played and Verden Allen and Buffin joined the following year. 'Harlem Suffle', 'Barefootin' and 'Rescue Me' are some of the tracks on the album, covers as you'll notice. PM if you want to hear it before considering buying.

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

IkarisOne wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 7:01pm
"The Clash are brought to you tonight by MXR, who are proud to introduce the brand new MXR Phase 90. MXR, when you need to play five times louder than everyone else."
::Ahem:: I believe that was a Phase 100. That's definitely what is on LC and Some Girls. Though in '78 he did use either a Phase 90 or, to my ears anyway, a Phase 45.
I'm so punk, I don't even take my leather jacket off when it catches fire. Which it does frequently, because of how fucking punk I am.