The Clash on Alright Now 1979

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Clash on Alright Now 1979

Post by IkarisOne »

muppet hi fi wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 7:57pm
Heston wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 7:38pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 7:14pm
Heston wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 7:09pm
IkarisOne wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 7:01pm
"The Clash are brought to you tonight by MXR, who are proud to introduce the brand new MXR Phase 90. MXR, when you need to play five times louder than everyone else."
Haha, I kinda like it in small doses but not whole gigs smothered in it.
Like September 12, 1979? Sounds like crossing the English Channel with rough tide :scared: But hey - still the single best gig I've ever seen and maybe even heard (though I don't know that my ears ever fully recovered from it - 10 feet in front of Mick's mic stand = 15 feet from his amps!).
He could have used a phased banjo for all I cared if I'd gotten to see them. Count yourself lucky, I was born 5 years too late.
Check out the boot of the show (Marky did a slight remix for me a few years ago, ask him for it) - it was only the 2nd show of the Take the Fifth tour and Mick must have just got the MXR phase pedal recently (they'd already done the Vanilla sessions but this show was the debut of six tracks from 'London Calling', and he clearly had no fucking idea how to use it (tastefully). The show's notable for its massive, orchestral sound, especially Topper (hoo boy, as a young drummer, did I ever note it!), and for (I think) the last time they ever played "The Prisoner" - one of my faves then and now. Also, Mick's mum was apparently at the gig, in from Michigan.
I think Mick's mom mixed the Alright Now appearance. "Now why shouldn't my Michael not be 68 decibels higher than the rest of the band? He's such a hard-working boy. So let me at that fader, will you please?"

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

muppet hi fi wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 7:08pm
IkarisOne wrote:
"The Clash are brought to you tonight by MXR, who are proud to introduce the brand new MXR Phase 90. MXR, when you need to play five times louder than everyone else."
Hey, it was new! And Keef & Woody used it on 'Some Girls' so, ya know... :twitch:
Exactly! Don’t forget the Mesa Boogie too.

You probably know this, but the MXR Phase 90 (in tasteful orange) isn’t a “pedal”, just a box. The levels are hand-set. Didn’t work all that well for Keith on some of those outdoor ‘78 gigs, especially for anyone in the back.
Last edited by TeddyB Not Logged In on 31 Jul 2019, 8:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Here's English Civil War to round the three tracks off...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

IkarisOne wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 8:10pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

Like September 12, 1979? Sounds like crossing the English Channel with rough tide :scared: But hey - still the single best gig I've ever seen and maybe even heard (though I don't know that my ears ever fully recovered from it - 10 feet in front of Mick's mic stand = 15 feet from his amps!).
He could have used a phased banjo for all I cared if I'd gotten to see them. Count yourself lucky, I was born 5 years too late.
Check out the boot of the show (Marky did a slight remix for me a few years ago, ask him for it) - it was only the 2nd show of the Take the Fifth tour and Mick must have just got the MXR phase pedal recently (they'd already done the Vanilla sessions but this show was the debut of six tracks from 'London Calling', and he clearly had no fucking idea how to use it (tastefully). The show's notable for its massive, orchestral sound, especially Topper (hoo boy, as a young drummer, did I ever note it!), and for (I think) the last time they ever played "The Prisoner" - one of my faves then and now. Also, Mick's mum was apparently at the gig, in from Michigan.
I think Mick's mom mixed the Alright Now appearance. "Now why shouldn't my Michael not be 68 decibels higher than the rest of the band? He's such a hard-working boy. So let me at that fader, will you please?"
:lol: Typical Jewish mom thing! But seriously, I wonder why they didn't go full on ska for "Israelites" - Topper's obviously prepared what with his his off-tempo high hat work, and anyway all Joe would have had to do would be mirror it ala "White Man". Still love the arrangement (and "Wrong'Em Boyo" was just around the corner).
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Heston

Post by Heston »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 8:12pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
Hey, it was new! And Keef & Woody used it on 'Some Girls' so, ya know... :twitch:

You probably know this, but the MXR Phase 90 (in tasteful orange) isn’t a “pedal”, just a box. The levels are hand-set. Didn’t work all that well for Keith on some of those outdoor ‘78 gigs, especially for anyone in the back.
I had one but every song I played sounded like Jimmy Jazz so I sold it!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

muppet hi fi wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

No Teddy, I thought it was just a small box with hand-dials and a punch button (like most other later MXR effects, at least the one's guys I played with used). Not like the dedicated foot-punch pedal of, say, Ibanez pedals, but still a small button that could be stomped, yeah? (hey, you're the guitarist, I'll defer to you!).

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 8:26pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

No Teddy, I thought it was just a small box with hand-dials and a punch button (like most other later MXR effects, at least the one's guys I played with used). Not like the dedicated foot-punch pedal of, say, Ibanez pedals, but still a small button that could be stomped, yeah? (hey, you're the guitarist, I'll defer to you!).
I remember it having a little button..

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 8:32pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

I remember it having a little button..
...which Mick could easily have stomped 'off' for, oh, I dunno, "Safe European Home"... :angry:

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

muppet hi fi wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. You can absolutely stomp it on and off with your foot on the little button. You just can't use your foot like a pedal to alter how much or little effect you want like, say a Cry Baby wah wah. And I'm a lousy guitar player.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

31 Jul 2019, 9:14pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. You can absolutely stomp it on and off with your foot on the little button. You just can't use your foot like a pedal to alter how much or little effect you want like, say a Cry Baby wah wah. And I'm a lousy guitar player.
Ah, gotcha. And by the way, judging by the late, great Blow-Up, you're a fine guitar player. No Steve Vai, but hey, not everyone can be! :yuck: :mrgreen:

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

muppet hi fi wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 9:26pm
31 Jul 2019, 9:14pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:

Ah, gotcha. And by the way, judging by the late, great Blow-Up, you're a fine guitar player. No Steve Vai, but hey, not everyone can be! :yuck: :mrgreen:
Spare guitarist. Lead vocalizer. More Strummer than Jones. But thank you.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Heston wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 5:10pm
As far as I'm aware this is the first appearance of the Israelites footage on YouTube...

Excellent. Thanks, Hes.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 1:05am
Heston wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 5:10pm
As far as I'm aware this is the first appearance of the Israelites footage on YouTube...

Excellent. Thanks, Hes.
Thanks Heston. I also enjoyed Youtube taking me to the Panic Report next. Saw a great live version of I Fought The Law.

Hammy
Dirty Punk

Post by Hammy »

Another great cover from The Clash
(thanks for 'sticking it up')

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

IkarisOne wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 8:10pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Heston wrote:

Don't forget, Mick's guitar had to compete with that suit Den Hegarty's wearing, surely the loudest thing in the studio
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres