The Clash on Alright Now 1979

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

The Clash on Alright Now 1979

Post by Heston »

As far as I'm aware this is the first appearance of the Israelites footage on YouTube...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: The Clash on Alright Now 1979

Post by Flex »

Awesome stuff, killer video quality. Thanks man, this is a treat!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston

Post by Heston »

Flex wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 5:18pm
Awesome stuff, killer video quality. Thanks man, this is a treat!
The video is straight from the master reel, albeit converted to MP4. There were rumours the Clash played on for longer after the Israelites, and I was hoping for some bonus footage but it was not be.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

As an aside mate, Just watched an interview with Mick Jones(Foreigner) from series 01 ep 07 and even after all this time, i never knew he was English.
Every day's a school day. :mrgreen:

Heston

Post by Heston »

white man wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 5:35pm
As an aside mate, Just watched an interview with Mick Jones(Foreigner) from series 01 ep 07 and even after all this time, i never knew he was English.
Every day's a school day. :mrgreen:
Haha, nor me!

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Outstanding, Hes! Thank you, thank you! For some reason this has always been a minor Holy Grail for me, if only the audio.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 5:45pm
Outstanding, Hes! Thank you, thank you! For some reason this has always been a minor Holy Grail for me, if only the audio.
To be fair I think the audio has been on YouTube a while as it was repeated just after Joe's death on British TV but it was overlaid with interview segments rather than the actual footage from the show. This is what we had before...

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 5:54pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 5:45pm
To be fair I think the audio has been on YouTube a while as it was repeated just after Joe's death on British TV but it was overlaid with interview segments rather than the actual footage from the show. This is what we had before...

I only had a very low generation YouTube rip from years ago, and I think Marky tried to clean up that version a bit and put it on his 'The New Testament' set as an extra. This version is fab, and I love their version of this killer tune.

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

"The Clash are brought to you tonight by MXR, who are proud to introduce the brand new MXR Phase 90. MXR, when you need to play five times louder than everyone else."

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

IkarisOne wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 7:01pm
"The Clash are brought to you tonight by MXR, who are proud to introduce the brand new MXR Phase 90. MXR, when you need to play five times louder than everyone else."
Hey, it was new! And Keef & Woody used it on 'Some Girls' so, ya know... :twitch:

Heston

Post by Heston »

IkarisOne wrote:
Haha, I kinda like it in small doses but not whole gigs smothered in it.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 7:09pm
IkarisOne wrote:
Like September 12, 1979? Sounds like crossing the English Channel with rough tide :scared: But hey - still the single best gig I've ever seen and maybe even heard (though I don't know that my ears ever fully recovered from it - 10 feet in front of Mick's mic stand = 15 feet from his amps!).

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 7:14pm
Heston wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
Like September 12, 1979? Sounds like crossing the English Channel with rough tide :scared: But hey - still the single best gig I've ever seen and maybe even heard (though I don't know that my ears ever fully recovered from it - 10 feet in front of Mick's mic stand = 15 feet from his amps!).
He could have used a phased banjo for all I cared if I'd gotten to see them. Count yourself lucky, I was born 5 years too late.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 7:38pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 7:14pm
Heston wrote:
IkarisOne wrote:
He could have used a phased banjo for all I cared if I'd gotten to see them. Count yourself lucky, I was born 5 years too late.
Check out the boot of the show (Marky did a slight remix for me a few years ago, ask him for it) - it was only the 2nd show of the Take the Fifth tour and Mick must have just got the MXR phase pedal recently (they'd already done the Vanilla sessions but this show was the debut of six tracks from 'London Calling', and he clearly had no fucking idea how to use it (tastefully). The show's notable for its massive, orchestral sound, especially Topper (hoo boy, as a young drummer, did I ever note it!), and for (I think) the last time they ever played "The Prisoner" - one of my faves then and now. Also, Mick's mum was apparently at the gig, in from Michigan.
Last edited by muppet hi fi on 31 Jul 2019, 8:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Awesome to finally see this after hearing the audio forever!
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.