London Calling 40th Anniversary Scrapbook, Etc. Pre-orders

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Re: London Calling 40th Anniversary Scrapbook, Etc. Pre-orders

Post by Flex »

Good on 'em for keeping the album in the public eye, but $75 is probably a little steep for me for a scrapbook without any new music attached.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Flex wrote:
16 Aug 2019, 11:50am
Good on 'em for keeping the album in the public eye, but $75 is probably a little steep for me for a scrapbook without any new music attached.
I’d like the scrap book without the CD.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

I gave my UK first pressing album to Jack Nitzsche in March of 1980.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 1:24am
I gave my UK first pressing album to Jack Nitzsche in March of 1980.
Wow Teddy. When you name-drop you do it in style :mrgreen:

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

This seems a pointless release to me. A brilliant album a brilliant band but not a brilliant release sadly. What can possibly be in that scrap book that's not been seen before.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 1:46pm
This seems a pointless release to me. A brilliant album a brilliant band but not a brilliant release sadly. What can possibly be in that scrap book that's not been seen before.
The Clash seem to have been and continue to be the canary in the coal mine for this constant repackaging of the same meager (albeit great) material over and over again. The Bowie camp is catching up with Space Oddity, though.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 2:44pm
Marky Dread wrote:
The Clash seem to have been and continue to be the canary in the coal mine for this constant repackaging of the same meager (albeit great) material over and over again. The Bowie camp is catching up with Space Oddity, though.
The Sex Pistols seem to get away with it because McLaren gave it ideological cover by saying it's all a swindle anyway. Declaring it a rip-off from the start and doing it anyway puts all the blame on the consumer for falling for it. The sincerity of the Clash, on the other hand, that they are allied with the audience raises expectations that they'll deliver value for the money, as they did originally. Which is a shame that we are encouraged to reward cynicism and chastise sincerity, but there you go.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Mick went to great lengths when publicising the ‘Sound System’ box set to say that it was his absolute, final closing of the door on Clash archive stuff. Especially with Joe not around.
I’d love to hear more brand new outtakes, live stuff or just upgrades on the demos etc we’ve all enjoyed for years, but am not holding my breath.
I’m excited to learn more about whatever (video release?) is being worked on for release next year, mind....
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 2:56pm
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
The Sex Pistols seem to get away with it because McLaren gave it ideological cover by saying it's all a swindle anyway. Declaring it a rip-off from the start and doing it anyway puts all the blame on the consumer for falling for it. The sincerity of the Clash, on the other hand, that they are allied with the audience raises expectations that they'll deliver value for the money, as they did originally. Which is a shame that we are encouraged to reward cynicism and chastise sincerity, but there you go.
To offer an alternate perspective: I think it's to the clash camp's credit that so many of these releases don't offer, say, 1 or 2 extra tracks to try to bait hardcore fans I to rebuying the same album for the nth time. If someone wants to Shell out $75 for a scrapbook, more power to them, but there's no bait here to force the hand of the IMCT crowd to shell out their cash on LC's 40th. I gotta think it'd be so easy to add a stray track or two and get people to quadruple dip, but the clash don't really do that (I'm fact, as memory serves, Mick scratched a plan to do just that for a Sandinista! anniversary release). I think the clash catalog is still treated way less cynically than many others.

Pex Lives!

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Flex wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 7:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
To offer an alternate perspective: I think it's to the clash camp's credit that so many of these releases don't offer, say, 1 or 2 extra tracks to try to bait hardcore fans I to rebuying the same album for the nth time. If someone wants to Shell out $75 for a scrapbook, more power to them, but there's no bait here to force the hand of the IMCT crowd to shell out their cash on LC's 40th. I gotta think it'd be so easy to add a stray track or two and get people to quadruple dip, but the clash don't really do that (I'm fact, as memory serves, Mick scratched a plan to do just that for a Sandinista! anniversary release). I think the clash catalog is still treated way less cynically than many others.
It also comes down to what is left?? Madness and The Specials did a great job of re releasing their original albums whilst emptying the vaults.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 7:58pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
It also comes down to what is left?? Madness and The Specials did a great job of re releasing their original albums whilst emptying the vaults.
The (potentially) cynical move is to commission a second disc of remixes. Cynical because those are usually dodgy efforts, but on occasion they're satisfying (Go4's Return the Gift comes to mind). But, as Flex suggests, it speaks well to Clash HQ that they aren't constantly squeezing the fanbase for every dime, and I'd like to think it isn't because Joe is dead.
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex

Post by Flex »

101Walterton wrote:
17 Aug 2019, 7:58pm
Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
I mean, if they really wanted, they could just toss on a few live tracks or something even if the studio vaults are barren... stuff Mick knows (thanks TeddyB!) Has been out there for years. I really reapect that this hasn't really happened, even as we occasionally pine for more official live material.

If the the Clash ever put out a remix album as good as Return the Gift, I'd consider it great value for the dollar. No exploitation whatsoever.

Pex Lives!

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

No, it’s not just that Joe isn’t here, though I think that argues further against a new mix of old material by someone who wasn’t there when they recorded it. Mick and Bill Price did remix a couple of tracks from LC over the years. But Bill is now gone, Mick doesn’t want to do it, and doesn’t rate the idea of someone else doing it. There was serious talk of a new LC doc by a well-known U.K. director, but that faded away, possibly down to Mick’s lack of enthusiastic participation. So instead there’s new vinyl and CD and cassette of the album with new mastering (is it half-speed?) aimed at buyers who don’t have it already.

The scrapbook I think is a way of commemorating the album’s 40th for “real” fans without loading up another deluxe box set. The Vanilla demos were already released. The Clash (and Mick) don’t seem into padding it with live material. They did reject Sony’s idea of a Sandinista 30th (?) release with a couple of outtakes and perhaps added live show from Amsterdam (sourced from the radio tapes). A video component could change that equation though next year.

I actually don’t know if they have all the Lewisham multi-tracks. They did make a quick mix of Jimmy Jazz that has been bootlegged, suggesting they have more than has been released, but I don’t know the state of the tapes and, again, Bill is gone.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

I'd be happy with some kind of video release for S40 but i'll pass if its an audio rehash of a radio tape TBH.