Dec 14, 2019: WTTW Screening w/ MJ, Simmo, Topper, and Don Letts

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Dec 14, 2019: WTTW Screening w/ MJ, Simmo, Topper, and Don Letts

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 9:20pm
Heston wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 6:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 5:43pm
Heston wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 6:58pm
I wanted to go to this and I'm severely hacked off that it wasn't the Saturday before when I think I'm gonna be in London visiting family.
Family will still be there in the new year, no? The opportunity to ask Paul which version of "Black Diamond" is best, and then be hauled out screaming by security when he contemptuously replies, "The Replacements, duh," is too important.
I'm visiting family the week before, it's a gig commitment that stopped me from trying to get a ticket. Though reading above they are like gold dust anyway.
Sounds like the Madness gig at Electric Ballroom has had ‘issues’ as the only people who appear to have got the £2.50 tickets are the people selling them on EBay for £1.50
Sounds like the worst ebay seller of all time. Buy for £2.50 sell for £1.50. What school of finance is that. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 6:51am
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 6:58pm
I wanted to go to this and I'm severely hacked off that it wasn't the Saturday before when I think I'm gonna be in London visiting family.
Family will still be there in the new year, no? The opportunity to ask Paul which version of "Black Diamond" is best, and then be hauled out screaming by security when he contemptuously replies, "The Replacements, duh," is too important.
I'm visiting family the week before, it's a gig commitment that stopped me from trying to get a ticket. Though reading above they are like gold dust anyway.
Sounds like the Madness gig at Electric Ballroom has had ‘issues’ as the only people who appear to have got the £2.50 tickets are the people selling them on EBay for £1.50
Sounds like the worst ebay seller of all time. Buy for £2.50 sell for £1.50. What school of finance is that. :mrgreen:
It is from the Crime For Dummies book by Robin Hood!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 3:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 6:51am
101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It is from the Crime For Dummies book by Robin Hood!
Good ask him for some wealth distribution. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

ClashCityHammer.
Corner Soul

Post by ClashCityHammer. »

Anyone who went got a match report? I've heard it was a slight disappointment. Topper didn't show although Johnny Green took his place and said he was okay. They showed the short of Kathy Burke meeting Strummer when she was sixteen as an extra before Westway which reduced the Q&A time to twenty five minutes. Shame really because that was the main reason for going, we've all seen the film.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

ClashCityHammer. wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 6:00am
Anyone who went got a match report? I've heard it was a slight disappointment. Topper didn't show although Johnny Green took his place and said he was okay. They showed the short of Kathy Burke meeting Strummer when she was sixteen as an extra before Westway which reduced the Q&A time to twenty five minutes. Shame really because that was the main reason for going, we've all seen the film.
25 minutes is shocking. What a waste of everyone's time.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

ArmagideonTim
Dirty Punk

Post by ArmagideonTim »

The Q&A was too short but I thought it was a decent night out. For me and my friends seeing the film in a cinema with a group of like minded individuals gave it a different dimension. I'd only watched it on my own before but with other people it became a lot funnier somehow. I'm guessing Topper didn't show as he doesn't do well in crowds. The worse thing about it was the compare who didn't appear to know anything about them or have ever interviewed anyone before. They weren't going to have questions from the floor but Simmo insisted and annoyingly there was only time for about two. It hadn't occurred to me that they'd put a film on after this, I thought we'd have the night. Mick was very funny and seemed to be off his tits on something, maybe he was just pleased to see us.
Attachments
IMG_20191214_201430.jpg

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

ArmagideonTim wrote:
18 Dec 2019, 9:28pm
The Q&A was too short but I thought it was a decent night out. For me and my friends seeing the film in a cinema with a group of like minded individuals gave it a different dimension. I'd only watched it on my own before but with other people it became a lot funnier somehow. I'm guessing Topper didn't show as he doesn't do well in crowds. The worse thing about it was the compare who didn't appear to know anything about them or have ever interviewed anyone before. They weren't going to have questions from the floor but Simmo insisted and annoyingly there was only time for about two. It hadn't occurred to me that they'd put a film on after this, I thought we'd have the night. Mick was very funny and seemed to be off his tits on something, maybe he was just pleased to see us.
Nice one, Tim (and excellent moniker as well - "Armagideon Tim"). Nice point about seeing the film in a theatre with fans (as I did when it was released). Also saw 'Rude Boy' when released in '80 or '81, same dynamic: people cheering, booing Thatcher's speech sequences, laughing and snickering, etc. A much different experience than viewing on your own or even with mates on a small screen.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

ArmagideonTim wrote:
Naw, Mick wasn’t off his tits. Not saying he might not have had the odd puff beforehand, but choosing to be funny is his coping mechanism for events like this. Glad you had a decent night.
Last edited by TeddyB Not Logged In on 19 Dec 2019, 3:39am, edited 1 time in total.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

x
Last edited by TeddyB Not Logged In on 19 Dec 2019, 3:40am, edited 1 time in total.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

X

ArmagideonTim
Dirty Punk

Post by ArmagideonTim »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 3:33am
ArmagideonTim wrote:
Naw, Mick wasn’t off his tits. Not saying he might not have had the odd puff beforehand, but choosing to be funny is his coping mechanism for events like this. Glad you had a decent night.
Fair enough, he was very entertaining, thank him from me. He was the cherry on the top of a good night. If they fancy doing it again can you suggest it's somewhere less poncey.

Hammy
Dirty Punk

Post by Hammy »

Heston wrote:
06 Nov 2019, 3:07pm
If there's a q&a, ask them why they never made videos for Hitsville, Mag 7 and SISOSIG.
The Shea Stadium footage was the original video for SISOSIG;
originally the track was kind of a weird pace (off performance)

Heston

Post by Heston »

Hammy wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 7:22am
Heston wrote:
If there's a q&a, ask them why they never made videos for Hitsville, Mag 7 and SISOSIG.
I'm not convinced that video was available at the time the song was released.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 8:48am
Hammy wrote:
Heston wrote:
Pretty sure I didn't see a video for SISOSIG until it was re-released in the early 90s.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 8:56am
Heston wrote:
19 Dec 2019, 8:48am
Hammy wrote:
Heston wrote:
Pretty sure I didn't see a video for SISOSIG until it was re-released in the early 90s.
It was on the Tube but not until 1983. Also on Video Clash which came out in 1985.