Who's been to the exhibition then?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
rudebhoy
Bang Ice Geezer

Who's been to the exhibition then?

Post by rudebhoy »

Have read a few negative comments on FB, some saying there's not much to see (compared to The Jam exhibition at Somerset House a few years ago), and some saying it gets extremely busy.

Am heading down to London for a couple of days over the holidays, and was going to drag the missus along to this, but beginning to have second thoughts after reading those comments.

Wouldn't mind hearing honest opinions from folk on here who have been.

ClashCityHammer.
Corner Soul

Re: Who's been to the exhibition then?

Post by ClashCityHammer. »

The Jam exhibition was about the whole history of the band going right back to childhood so obviously there was a lot more to see at that one. If you're coming to London anyway I would definitely recommend you pop in and of course the museum generally is quite interesting so you don't have to only visit The Clash bit. Actually as soon as I walked in one of the staff came over and said you're here for The Clash I think and suggested I make a donation before I leave. Clearly of the impression that I'd never set foot in a museum before. Cheeky git. Just because I have the brooding charisma of Paul Simonon doesn't mean I'm not interested in The Romans. Don't forget to nip downstairs to the cafe for a Clash cupcake which cost a quid more than my first Clash gig. Or would have if I'd bought one.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

I'm hoping to go next week.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

ClashCityHammer. wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 6:22am
The Jam exhibition was about the whole history of the band going right back to childhood so obviously there was a lot more to see at that one. If you're coming to London anyway I would definitely recommend you pop in and of course the museum generally is quite interesting so you don't have to only visit The Clash bit. Actually as soon as I walked in one of the staff came over and said you're here for The Clash I think and suggested I make a donation before I leave. Clearly of the impression that I'd never set foot in a museum before. Cheeky git. Just because I have the brooding charisma of Paul Simonon doesn't mean I'm not interested in The Romans. Don't forget to nip downstairs to the cafe for a Clash cupcake which cost a quid more than my first Clash gig. Or would have if I'd bought one.
Excellent review. You should post more often.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

ArmagideonTim
Dirty Punk

Post by ArmagideonTim »

I went today. I thought it was good, about 45~60 minutes worth of interest I'd say. It was handy for the gift shop and toilets for when I'd used up my wife's tolerance. I was amazed how small their clothes were. It had never registered with me what short arses Joe and Topper are. You get to leaf through the scrap book in the shop and decide if you want it for Christmas. Everything there is more expensive than the original album but so it goes. Also I now know that there are Polish bootleg flexi disc singles out there for me to contemplate.
IMG_20191206_121356.jpg

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

ArmagideonTim wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 3:20pm
I went today. I thought it was good, about 45~60 minutes worth of interest I'd say. It was handy for the gift shop and toilets for when I'd used up my wife's tolerance. I was amazed how small their clothes were. It had never registered with me what short arses Joe and Topper are. You get to leaf through the scrap book in the shop and decide if you want it for Christmas. Everything there is more expensive than the original album but so it goes. Also I now know that there are Polish bootleg flexi disc singles out there for me to contemplate.IMG_20191206_121356.jpg
I remember that from the punk exhibition that toured the world many years ago. Lots of original Pistols T shirts and clothes, Malcolm and Vivienne stuff. Looked like children’s clothes.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Of course it’s worth a look!
Ok the Jam show was bigger- but you had to pay to get in, and this is free!
Tons to see, should easily occupy 45mins plus if you’re doing it justice. It was far less busy when I went than some of the blockbuster art shows I’ve been to (darlings) :mrgreen:
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

ArmagideonTim wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 3:20pm
I went today. I thought it was good, about 45~60 minutes worth of interest I'd say. It was handy for the gift shop and toilets for when I'd used up my wife's tolerance. I was amazed how small their clothes were. It had never registered with me what short arses Joe and Topper are. You get to leaf through the scrap book in the shop and decide if you want it for Christmas. Everything there is more expensive than the original album but so it goes. Also I now know that there are Polish bootleg flexi disc singles out there for me to contemplate.IMG_20191206_121356.jpg
Thanks for the review. Been racking my brain trying to work out the significance of that fucking cat but no dice yet. Best i can come up with is cats have "yellowy eyes", in the dark anyway, but that sounds kinda stupid.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

81DF291E-0ED8-4009-8680-135C50BDB037.jpeg
Had a quick visit there yesterday. Was working so had to resist staying much longer. Will definitely go again, it is a fantastic treasure trove.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

laxman wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 7:41pm
81DF291E-0ED8-4009-8680-135C50BDB037.jpeg

Had a quick visit there yesterday. Was working so had to resist staying much longer. Will definitely go again, it is a fantastic treasure trove.
It almost looks like he brought it down face-first rather than on its side. I wouldn't think a p-bass would split so easily down the center when hit on its side, but maybe Paul is more powerful than we thought.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Toppers Boppers
Long Time Jerk

Post by Toppers Boppers »

Went up yesterday, it's more high profile than I had imagined and does a great job of celebrating the Clash and London Calling to everyone who visits this popular museum. As it's focused on LC there are some groovy period pieces that weren't at the Black Market Clash pop-up shop a few years ago.

Good museum too, Clash fans can go straight to the sections on the Great Fire Of London and English Civil War :approve:
London Calling .jpg

rudebhoy
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by rudebhoy »

Went along on Friday. Got there for it opening at 10am, and it was pretty quiet. What was there was great to see, but truth be told, there's not a lot to it. 45 minutes is all you need really.

Best bit for me was the old 4-track TEAC which you could play about with. It had the vocals, guitar, bass and drums from London Calling on separate tracks which you could drop in and out. Also good to see Joe's original handwritten lyrics to Ice Age, and the blown up copy of Armagideon Times (I've got an original from the 16 Tons tour somewhere, will need to go have a look for it!).

The map of London with pins for all the sites of note was also cool, as obviously were the clothes and instruments. Nice little tribute to Guy as well.

The rest of the museum is worth a look round, the main exhibition is London from the Roman invasion to modern times, enjoyed that as well.